Other Matches - 26-27th October, 2019

football forum

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Why not Rodgers? He's doing excellent mate at Leicester. Early days or not 

He might have done well in Scotland with Celtic but really any manager that has managed in the EPL can go to the SPFL and do well plus it would not go down well with United die-hard supporters that an ex Liverpool manager becoming manager of United, that would be like Gary Neville becoming manager of Liverpool. 

Just now, CaaC (John) said:

He might have done well in Scotland with Celtic but really any manager that has managed in the EPL can go to the SPFL and do well plus it would not go down well with United die-hard supporters that an ex Liverpool manager becoming manager of United, that would be like Gary Neville becoming manager of Liverpool. 

I agree he shouldn't be utd manager for that reason but he is still a good coach. Wouldn't say it would be quite the same as Neville becoming Liverpool manager though xD

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I agree he shouldn't be utd manager for that reason but he is still a good coach. Wouldn't say it would be quite the same as Neville becoming Liverpool manager though xD

He is still an ex Liverpool manager and as I said the likes of Steve Gerrard hates United the same as Gary Neville hates Liverpool if they ever became managers that would cause a meltdown with both sets of supporters, as @Smiley Culture said that would be like George Grayham taking over at Spurs and that would not go down with the Spud supporters.

I have a mate who is a Spud man down South and I mentioned to him once (as a wind up) that there was a rumour going around after Wenger retired that he was going to take over from Poch at Spurs, he went ballistic and said "NO FUCKING WAY..." xD 

23 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not in the slightest xD

Rodgers had no connection to Liverpool at all when he became our manager. Neville was an academy product and die hard Utd fan.

Im not saying it wouldn't ruffle a few feathers Rodgers going to Utd but its Not comparable at all mate.

Rodgers was (rightly) sacked by Liverpool, why wouldn't he go there? He doesn't owe us anything, we don't owe him anything. It's not like he had an extremely strong bond with the fans either like Benitez did or Klopp has now

11 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

He is still an ex Liverpool manager and as I said the likes of Steve Gerrard hates United the same as Gary Neville hates Liverpool if they ever became managers that would cause a meltdown with both sets of supporters, as @Smiley Culture said that would be like George Grayham taking over at Spurs and that would no go down with the Spud supporters.

I have a mate who is a Spud man down South and I mentioned to him once (as a wind up) that there was a rumour going around after Wenger retired that he was going to take over from Poch at Spurs, he went ballistic and said "NO FUCKING WAY..." xD 

Yeah I get that mate but someone who managed Liverpool for a few years isn't the same as someone who played for utd for 15 years and has always said he hates Liverpool

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Rodgers was (rightly) sacked by Liverpool, why wouldn't he go there? He doesn't owe us anything, we don't owe him anything. It's not like he had an extremely strong bond with the fans either like Benitez did or Klopp has now

I'm not sure he was rightly sacked, more fucked over. The club replaced Suarez with Balotelli (who Rodgers said he didn't even want 2 weeks prior to him signing) and Lambert.

It was always going to be a struggle losing Suarez but replacing him with those two? Rodgers never stood a chance.

I'm glad he did get sacked though, otherwise we wouldn't have Klopp, although i think that was always the plan as soon as Klopp became available.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm not sure he was rightly sacked, more fucked over. The club replaced Suarez with Balotelli (who Rodgers said he didn't even want 2 weeks prior to him signing) and Lambert.

It was always going to be a struggle losing Suarez but replacing him with those two? Rodgers never stood a chance.

I'm glad he did get sacked though, otherwise we wouldn't have Klopp, although i think that was always the plan as soon as Klopp became available.

So you agree with me that he was rightly sacked then as it was done at a time when Klopp had become available. 

Rodgers couldn't have had any complaints if he'd been sacked at the end of 14/15 after the Stoke embarrassment as well as that shocking FA Cup semi final but the club were waiting for Klopp as we say

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

From my understanding, the Arsenal fans were jeering him because he was walking off the pitch and not hauling his arse when they are in need of a goal. 

I’m sorry but that’s bollocks. He went off after 60 minutes. They still had half an hour. If Arsenal had a corner and it was the 89th minute, they would have a point about being annoyed and wanting him to run off. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

So you agree with me that he was rightly sacked then as it was done at a time when Klopp had become available. 

Rodgers couldn't have had any complaints if he'd been sacked at the end of 14/15 after the Stoke embarrassment as well as that shocking FA Cup semi final but the club were waiting for Klopp as we say

Well obviously yes he was rightly pushed out to accommodate Klopp mate. I thought you were referring to his performance as manager in general? 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I get that mate but someone who managed Liverpool for a few years isn't the same as someone who played for utd for 15 years and has always said he hates Liverpool

That's just the way we think with us older generation of United fans, our son is a Liverpool man and I said to him once would you like Ole taking over at Anfield if the job comes up and he said: "Fuck off pops..." xD

• Subscriber

If Arsenal fans feel any sort of animosity towards Xhaka, which today shows they clearly do at least sometimes, then he shouldn't be captaining the side.

Then again, Arsenal's recruitment has been so naive for about 10 years that there's no clear alternative in there.

People have actually got bored of saying that Arsenal need a leader like Vieira even though it's still so blindingly obvious.

8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

That's just the way we think with us older generation of United fans, our son is a Liverpool man and I said to him once would you like Ole taking over at Anfield if the job comes up and he said: "Fuck off pops..." xD

That's because Ole is shite :ph34r:

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well obviously yes he was rightly pushed out to accommodate Klopp mate. I thought you were referring to his performance as manager in general? 

At the time, I thought he should have gone after the 6-1 at Stoke. It clearly wasn't working. We had a decent run in about January to March in 2015 and then lost to United at Anfield and Rodgers didn't know how to turn it around. We finished the season terribly.

He survived the summer though and our recruitment that window just further enforced the opinion that it wasn't working. The recruitment obviously wasn't all his doing but it didn't seem like he wasn't doing much to make it work. Things like, he'd take Firmino who others on the committee wanted as long as he could have Benteke. That's madness when you think about it

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m sorry but that’s bollocks. He went off after 60 minutes. They still had half an hour. If Arsenal had a corner and it was the 89th minute, they would have a point about being annoyed and wanting him to run off. 

I've got admit, if our captain was trudging off the pitch when we were drawing a game we should be winning with 30 minutes to go, I wouldn't be best pleased in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

At the time, I thought he should have gone after the 6-1 at Stoke. It clearly wasn't working. We had a decent run in about January to March in 2015 and then lost to United at Anfield and Rodgers didn't know how to turn it around. We finished the season terribly.

He survived the summer though and our recruitment that window just further enforced the opinion that it wasn't working. The recruitment obviously wasn't all his doing but it didn't seem like he wasn't doing much to make it work. Things like, he'd take Firmino who others on the committee wanted as long as he could have Benteke. That's madness when you think about it

Have you forgotten you finished second in his second season

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah, I'm not saying he was perfect or didn't get things wrong. I just think he was treated slightly harsh by some of our fans at times. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah, I'm not saying he was perfect or didn't get things wrong. I just think he was treated slightly harsh by some of our fans at times. 

I'd like to think I give him more credit than most for 13/14. I'm not one of these who refuses to acknowledge his role in that season and thinks it was only down to Suarez. And I don't have any dislike towards him either like some do. He went at the right time and without knowing what we know now, couldn't have had any complaints if he'd gone at the end of 14/15, that's all

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I agree. You still finished second. People say you had Suarez but Salah scored more goals 2 seasons ago no one says it was Salah it they say it was down to klopp. I'm not comparing klopp to Rodgers it's obvious klopp is better but Rodgers is a decent coach.  @LFCMike mentioned benteke but he was a good striker at villa and I can understand that signing. People only remember bad signings I'm hindsight they don't think back to how good they were at their previous club. It's like Sanchez at man utd. How were they suppose to know he was going to turn out so bad. Sometimes things just don't work out.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I'd like to think I give him more credit than most for 13/14. I'm not one of these who refuses to acknowledge his role in that season and thinks it was only down to Suarez. And I don't have any dislike towards him either like some do. He went at the right time and without knowing what we know now, couldn't have had any complaints if he'd gone at the end of 14/15, that's all

That's a reasonable response. Was it the 14/15 season when you lost to Stoke 6.1?

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Fair enough. Going back to his poor highlights, another thing i think was bang out of order was when he handed a Champions League game to Madrid by resting our best players when we still had a chance of qualifying from the group. Not good.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived