talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Halloween - Guising - Trick or Treat

football forum

• Subscriber

Halloween guising Scotland: Meaning and is it different from trick or treating?

With Halloween just around the corner, the word guising is popping up more and more frequently. 

But did you know the term is unique to Scotland and Ireland?

Here's everything you need to know about the Scots term guising, how it differs from trick or treating and other Scottish Halloween traditions. 

What does guising mean? 

Guising derives from the word disguise, and is based on the notion that people dress up at Halloween. 

Children dress up and go from house to house, telling jokes and stories or singing songs in exchange for sweeties and food. 

The Collins dictionary defines guising as "the practice or custom of disguising oneself in fancy dress, often with a mask, and visiting people's houses, especially at Halloween". 

According to folklore, children dressed up so they could venture out safely without wicked ghouls detecting them. 

Is guising different to trick or treating? 

Yes, guising is different to trick or treating. 

Traditionally, guising requires you to tell a story or a joke or sing a song, while trick or treating simply requires going up to doors and calling "trick or treat". 

Treat usually refers to a sweetie or food item, while trick refers to the threat of a trick being played on homeowners if they don't offer a treat. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19655339.halloween-guising-scotland-meaning-different-trick-treating/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind it... It's all good fun for the kids and some of the parents, There are loads of groups of kids wandering the streets at the moment all dressed up and what not... I think some of the parents have got a bit lazy though xD It's supposed to be a spooky/horror theme so would want to see more Feddy Krueger or Jason from Friday 13th than Deadpool etc... Some of the houses really get into it round our way covering their houses with webs and giant spiders and all that sort of stuff... I always wanted to do a graveyard out the front where someone sits in an open coffin and pops out when the kids come to get the sweets... so far not got round to it but must do it one year for the crack.. 

Would like to do a zombie one as well... 

Zombie GIF

• Subscriber

That's our daughter away with Kaiden to meet the others for guising, our daughter dressed as a Dinosaur, and Kaiden dressed as Steve Harrington from Stranger Things, how the fuck did our daughter get down the flat stairs dressed in that outfit. xD

thumbnail_20221031_184337.jpg

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't mind it... It's all good fun for the kids and some of the parents, There are loads of groups of kids wandering the streets at the moment all dressed up and what not... I think some of the parents have got a bit lazy though xD It's supposed to be a spooky/horror theme so would want to see more Feddy Krueger or Jason from Friday 13th than Deadpool etc... Some of the houses really get into it round our way covering their houses with webs and giant spiders and all that sort of stuff... I always wanted to do a graveyard out the front where someone sits in an open coffin and pops out when the kids come to get the sweets... so far not got round to it but must do it one year for the crack.. 

Would like to do a zombie one as well... 

Zombie GIF

Some really good efforts round near where I live as well.

I think it's brilliant myself, the kids love it and it's only one night a year.

40 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Halloween is shite.

I used to think that. But a lot of kids seem to like it and it brightens their day. What is not to like about that in times like these?

Archived