talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

By winning games xD

No, by having conditions heavily in their favour.

I'm not saying as the host nation they don't have the right to try and adjust things in their favour because I'm sure we did the same on our own patch, but I don't think as a team India would have been as dominant in the lead up to the final if it was played anywhere else.

So to see them stumble in a game when they have had it all in their favour throughout the tournament is somewhat satisfying.

I get you may not see things from that perspective and not taking anything away from some of the Indian performances, but I don't think it's made for fascinating viewing personally.

Edited by Lucas

ICC white ball tournament index in last 10 years.

Winner = 10 pts

Runner-up = 5 pts

Semifinals = 3 pts

India 37 (1 trophy)

England 36 (2 trophies)

Australia 33 (3 trophies)

New Zealand 24 (0 trophies)

Pakistan 18 ( 1 trophy)

West Indies 13 (1 trophy)

Sri Lanka 13 (1 trophy)

South Africa 12 (0 trophies)

Bangladesh 3 (0 trophies)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Lucas said:

No, by having conditions heavily in their favour.

I'm not saying as the host nation they don't have the right to try and adjust things in their favour because I'm sure we did the same on our own patch, but I don't think as a team India would have been as dominant in the lead up to the final if it was played anywhere else.

So to see them stumble in a game when they have had it all in their favour throughout the tournament is somewhat satisfying.

I get you may not see things from that perspective and not taking anything away from some of the Indian performances, but I don't think it's made for fascinating viewing personally.

We probably wouldn't have been as dominant but what have we done to adjust things in our favour? Genuinely curious. 

The pitch thing before the semi final didn't give us any advantage. 

Sometimes it comes down to the toss and winning or losing it so that conditions favour a specific side. Like today, Aus won the toss, made the right call and played their best game to win, deservedly. 

I think to say it's only been conditions that favours us (not saying it's not had a hand, but I think it's being exaggerated) is quite a slap in the face to any players that were talented and professional enough to rack up runs or wickets. 

12 hours ago, Stan said:

We probably wouldn't have been as dominant but what have we done to adjust things in our favour? Genuinely curious. 

The pitch thing before the semi final didn't give us any advantage. 

Sometimes it comes down to the toss and winning or losing it so that conditions favour a specific side. Like today, Aus won the toss, made the right call and played their best game to win, deservedly. 

I think to say it's only been conditions that favours us (not saying it's not had a hand, but I think it's being exaggerated) is quite a slap in the face to any players that were talented and professional enough to rack up runs or wickets. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

I felt bad for Rohit Sharma. He seems a nicer bloke than Kohli but yet has to win a WC despite being so dominant lately. 

Had a quality World Cup but yesterday was annoying for me when Aus were batting.

At that time you'd want someone to really psyche up the players and keep the momentum (after first 10 overs) going. But when Head/Labuschagne started to get settled, his body language was absolutely pathetic. It's like he knew the game was lost and gave up trying to influence it or get the momentum back. He looked bored and uninterested. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Had a quality World Cup but yesterday was annoying for me when Aus were batting.

At that time you'd want someone to really psyche up the players and keep the momentum (after first 10 overs) going. But when Head/Labuschagne started to get settled, his body language was absolutely pathetic. It's like he knew the game was lost and gave up trying to influence it or get the momentum back. He looked bored and uninterested. 

India should've kept one pacer from one end in the middle instead of both Jadeja and Kuldeep bowling. 

On 19/11/2023 at 14:51, Stan said:

Gutted to lose this. Not good enough under tough conditions. 

I had a feeling Australia would win it. They just always seem to do it when it really matters. One of those tournaments where the best team didn't win. Not to say Australia didn't deserve it though 

• 2 weeks later...

– Most centuries in 4th innings of Tests in history (5)

– Only player to score a Test ton in each Test nation

– One of the highest Test century conversion rate of over 50%

– Three times he was informed of a death of his relative ( including mother and brother) while he was batting 50+

– Known for erratic behavior and even pulled a knife at a batting coach

– Known for being rigid as a captain and there was an attempted mutiny against him during CT 2009 which failed bcz one of the mutineer snitched.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top 10 Greatest cricketers from Pakistan

1. Imran Khan 

Not many in history could genuinely bat in middle order and also lead a pace attack at their prime. One of the greatest all-rounders in history; never bowled a no-ball in Tests. 

2. Wasim Akram

Greatest in skills with the ball. Got batsmen out methodically. Played at top level for around 20 years which is exceptionally long for a pacer.

3. Waqar Younis

Had more raw power and was aesthetically and arguably for a period better than Wasim. 

4. Javed Miandad

Greatest overall batter and an influential, tough, gritty character on and off the field. 

5. Zaheer Abbas

Greatest ODIs batter unless Babar wins us a trophy.

6. Younis Khan

Greatest Test batter but an average ODIs career is a gap in the CV. 

7. Inzimam-ul Haq

A great match winner. His 50s & 80s won us more matches than some other players' useless centuries. 

8. Saqlain Mushtaq

Revolutionized not only off-spin but the sport at large with his doosra. No one knew how to play him for a good amount of time. Murlidharan said in a podcast he asked him to teach doosra and it took him three years to learn. Sadly retired early due to injuries, would've been in top 5 otherwise

9. Abdul Qadir

Revived leg-spin after it was considered an obsolete art. Warne had tapes of him and came to meet him during tour. He told Warne a good googly is when your hand muscles start hurting and keep shadow practicing even with an apple. 

10. Hanif Muhammad

Put Pakistan on the map. 337 away to West Indies in 50s against that Windies attack, still the highest away runs in history. 

On 30/12/2023 at 09:18, Beelzebub said:

Top 10 Greatest cricketers from Pakistan

1. Imran Khan 

Not many in history could genuinely bat in middle order and also lead a pace attack at their prime. One of the greatest all-rounders in history; never bowled a no-ball in Tests. 

2. Wasim Akram

Greatest in skills with the ball. Got batsmen out methodically. Played at top level for around 20 years which is exceptionally long for a pacer.

3. Waqar Younis

Had more raw power and was aesthetically and arguably for a period better than Wasim. 

4. Javed Miandad

Greatest overall batter and an influential, tough, gritty character on and off the field. 

5. Zaheer Abbas

Greatest ODIs batter unless Babar wins us a trophy.

6. Younis Khan

Greatest Test batter but an average ODIs career is a gap in the CV. 

7. Inzimam-ul Haq

A great match winner. His 50s & 80s won us more matches than some other players' useless centuries. 

8. Saqlain Mushtaq

Revolutionized not only off-spin but the sport at large with his doosra. No one knew how to play him for a good amount of time. Murlidharan said in a podcast he asked him to teach doosra and it took him three years to learn. Sadly retired early due to injuries, would've been in top 5 otherwise

9. Abdul Qadir

Revived leg-spin after it was considered an obsolete art. Warne had tapes of him and came to meet him during tour. He told Warne a good googly is when your hand muscles start hurting and keep shadow practicing even with an apple. 

10. Hanif Muhammad

Put Pakistan on the map. 337 away to West Indies in 50s against that Windies attack, still the highest away runs in history. 

Saeed Anwar should be there somewhere

3 hours ago, Asura said:

Saeed Anwar should be there somewhere

Was going to put him and Mohamed Yusuf as honorary mentions. Pak has never really had a great all format opener since Anwar and middle order batters since Inzi-Yusuf

• Administrator

SA 55 all out.

But India go another series in South Africa without winning. Can only draw this series.

Still find it amazing they've never won a series in SA.

India was never going to win test series in SA.. NEVER... until now. This was the best chance with SA not being that great and India arguably the best cricket team right now.

The biggest achievement India had in SA was to win THAT test match under Dravid's captaincy where sreesanth was on fire in 2005. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Super from West Indies. Shamar Joseph looks a real find. 

7-fer on debut! 

India vs England looks like it could be close. Don't think we'll win with the pitch doing all sorts. Will be tough to get 231 from here.