talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forums

• Administrator

What a game. Fantastic cricket all round.

Ravindra is one hell of a player. Look forward to watching him over the next 5-10 years. 

Shame he's on the losing side but Aus just did enough to save it. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

What a game. Fantastic cricket all round.

Ravindra is one hell of a player. Look forward to watching him over the next 5-10 years. 

Shame he's on the losing side but Aus just did enough to save it. 

If Neesham had stuck around till the end I think New Zealand nick it. Shame really as he did a lot of hard work too to get them so close. 

On a side note, how good is Adam Zampa. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If Neesham had stuck around till the end I think New Zealand nick it. Shame really as he did a lot of hard work too to get them so close. 

On a side note, how good is Adam Zampa. 

Yeah, even if it was for another over. The runs he'd have likely gained would have edged NZ closer. 

• Administrator

I did not expect to win that by 100 runs after our low total. 

But epitomises where England are. Even 2 years ago that total gets smashed out the park within 30 overs or around that. 

These days, England players just lose their heads and all ability to consolidate an innings after a setback. Time and time again too many players don't look after their wicket. And you're not even talking inexperienced or amateurs, these are seasoned pros that battered everyone 4 years ago. 

i have been unable to summon the enthusiasm, while it surprises me that south Africa sit #2 on the never ending league phase of this already old and tired world cup, the issue is it has come concurrent to a rugby world cup which is a much bigger sport in NZ, South Africa and England.   

the only country that actually cares about cricket seems to be India

• Administrator
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

i have been unable to summon the enthusiasm, while it surprises me that south Africa sit #2 on the never ending league phase of this already old and tired world cup, the issue is it has come concurrent to a rugby world cup which is a much bigger sport in NZ, South Africa and England.   

the only country that actually cares about cricket seems to be India

Well that's not true.

Rugby World Cup is over, just in time for when the group stage concludes and the knockout's are shortly due to commence.

APpreciate that rugby is much bigger, but SA are doing their country proud in performing like they have done so far, and not choked like previously. 

Just because you don't have the interest or enthusiasm doesn't mean others don't. Each of the countries you mention have lots of support for cricket. 

It most definitely is not India that only cares about cricket, even though they may be the biggest cricketing country. 

The format has dragged, and perhaps it does need to be changed, but it's actually opened it up more for the smaller countries to succeed. Before the tournament would you have given Afghanistan or Netherlands a chance of qualifying at this stage of the tournament? 

Also, try saying that a Rugby World Cup to the fans 4 years ago in England. Fans seemed to love cricket back then...

@Stan I find it quite amazing how many people say something isn't interesting just because they don't like it. I'm not a fan of cricket but I'm pretty certain it's the 3rd most popular team sport in England. And I did watch the final 4 years ago and got to admit the super over was very entertaining. Also I've known people travel all over the world to watch England.

I'm not to sure how old you are but loads of people took the day of in the final day of the 2005 ashes. I'm not sure if cricket is as popular now as it was back then but it certainly is a big sport in England. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Stan I find it quite amazing how many people say something isn't interesting just because they don't like it. I'm not a fan of cricket but I'm pretty certain it's the 3rd most popular team sport in England. And I did watch the final 4 years ago and got to admit the super over was very entertaining. Also I've known people travel all over the world to watch England.

I'm not to sure how old you are but loads of people took the day of in the final day of the 2005 ashes. I'm not sure if cricket is as popular now as it was back then but it certainly is a big sport in England. 

Old enough to remember that phenomenal series! Think I went to one of the days in the 3rd Test.

Cricket remains extremely popular but I don't think as much as back then, especially for Test cricket sadly. The emergency of the shorter format of T20 and then increased 50-Over games has meant the lure of test cricket has decreased. And I hope to god The Hundred tournament is binned. That's another nail in the coffin for traditionalist side of cricket. 

It's still massive though like you say. Series like the latest Ashes almost reinvigorated it. Coverage is different now too - predominantly only on Sky or TNT now so it's limited, whereas I believe that 2005 series was on free-to-air. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Shaheen got whacked from what the updates are saying.

Rauf broke the record for most runs conceded in an ODI World Cup match (85).

Afridi broke the record about 15 minutes later...

• Haha 1

Playing India in a game that doesn't mean a lot but means a lot.   Typically the wheels come off the bus in the knockout phase,  maybe the team is a bunch of non power names will help overcome the choker tag.   A typical south african choke is play great cricket until the knock outs,  get a doable target,  get off to a comfortable start then all hell breaks loose.