talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kostas Tsimikas Signs for Liverpool

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, shut up said:

surprised you didn't pay the extra £8m for Jamal Lewis. why are liverpool being so tight with money? haven't you earned massive (record-breaking) money this past 3 years?

Apparently the Lewis leeks were purposely done to smokescreen this signing which was almost done with Napoli before we stepped in. 

By all accounts Tsimikas was always our first choice. Edwards creates smokescreens regularly whilst negotiating for players and its worked a treat so far. 

I know highlights aren't much to go off but at this moment in time its looking like we got the far better player at a lower cost.

6 minutes ago, shut up said:

surprised you didn't pay the extra £8m for Jamal Lewis. why are liverpool being so tight with money? haven't you earned massive (record-breaking) money this past 3 years?

The owners are very cautious but since Klopp came in you can't fault the transfer business we've done really. The only poor buys have been cheap options such as Karius. 

1 minute ago, shut up said:

you don't think Keita has been a dud?

Far from it, hes had some brilliant games, the talent is obvious for anyone to see. He has just been so unlucky with the timing of his injuries... basically everytime he hit a run of form.

I'm most excited about seeing him excell over anything next season. He could be really great. 

Just now, shut up said:

you don't think Keita has been a dud?

Jury is still out on him. He's not kept himself fit enough for long enough to say that really. Whenever he has a spell in the side without an injury he looks really good. Of course the amount he cost we will expect better consistency but he's been fantastic post lockdown. I think he gets next season before any judgement is made on him

It’s hard to call Keita a dud because when he’s healthy he performs. And at his best he’s really really good. He’s got serious competition for a starting spot though so those injuries hamper his ability to nail down a spot. Whether or not he’ll be really “worth” his high transfer value depends on if he can stay healthy imo.

Our squad’s in a good place where we can have a high quality and expensive player as a squad option while he’s struggled to stay healthy consistently.

I’d agree the only real dud signing of the Edwards-Klopp era of signings is Karius.

Melissa Reddy

@MelissaReddy_

·

Aug 9, 2020

Liverpool and Norwich fail to reach an agreement for Jamal Lewis, with the Premier League champions close to signing Konstantinos Tsimikas as cover at left-back for €13m (£11.75m) from Olympiacos. Medical expected early next week.

Constantine Levoyannis

@clevo275

Liverpool fans u have got yourselves an absolute bargain. Tsimi is quality. Massively improved defensively, good going forward, still improving. Deserves a starters spot and dare i say it he will make Robertson sweat. Gutted he leaves us but at least he’ll continue wearing red

3:11 PM · Aug 9, 2020

121 people are Tweeting about this

I think Liverpool can be excessively cautious but in this case I don't see the point of paying £20+ million for Lewis when you can get this guy for so much less.

Even if you say that Lewis' ceiling is higher, for a backup who isn't really guaranteed loads of minutes or lots of chances to play himself into form, that doesn't really matter a huge deal. Tzimikas is also arguably more experienced, especially in terms of international competitions.

40 minutes ago, shut up said:

He's got 3 caps for greece? 

Because Greece play exceedingly boring, defensive football and have a LB that fits that System. Our style of play will suit him much better because of his qualities going forward. 

I'm sorry but with our track record under Klopp and with Edwards sorting shit out... im inclined to believe this player might be OK as a back up to Robertson. 

Let's face it... Lewis was never getting in this side ahead of Robertson anyway. He wasnt even our first choice, Tsimikas was. Probably decided because of his qualities going forward?

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Because Greece play exceedingly boring, defensive football and have a LB that fits that System. Our style of play will suit him much better because of his qualities going forward. 

I'm sorry but with our track record under Klopp and with Edwards sorting shit out... im inclined to believe this player might be OK as a back up to Robertson. 

Let's face it... Lewis was never getting in this side ahead of Robertson anyway. He wasnt even our first choice, Tsimikas was. Probably decided because of his qualities going forward?

Was he our first choice though? We had a bid rejected for Lewis only a few days ago. If Liverpool knew Norwich would budge on their £20m asking price I'm assuming they would have pursued it further. I'm not arsed if he was or wasn't but I don't think it's necessarily correct that we wanted him ahead of Lewis. 

1 hour ago, shut up said:

He's got 3 caps for greece? 

It's mostly because he started getting those kind of good performances this season and kinda at the end of last season. The national team didn't played many games lately anyway, and knowing how the national team operates, they don't wanna bench the current left back (who happens to be one of the oldest players of the team and the captain).

Yeah, as good as Edwards is for us let’s not go making up false narrative to make him and the club look good. Lewis clearly the first choice, but Norwich were having none of our first offer (understandable) and we have pursued another choice. Nothing wrong with that if both were on the radar in the first place. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Was he our first choice though? We had a bid rejected for Lewis only a few days ago. If Liverpool knew Norwich would budge on their £20m asking price I'm assuming they would have pursued it further. I'm not arsed if he was or wasn't but I don't think it's necessarily correct that we wanted him ahead of Lewis. 

I dont believe that a bid was rejected 2 days ago for Lewis and that today we have agreed a deal for another player if this agreed deal wasn't well down the line of being concluded anyway. It just doesnt work like that. 

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, as good as Edwards is for us let’s not go making up false narrative to make him and the club look good. Lewis clearly the first choice, but Norwich were having none of our first offer (understandable) and we have pursued another choice. Nothing wrong with that if both were on the radar in the first place. 

Pursued another choice and got it wrapped up in 2 days? 

I think not xD

This screams of smokescreen to keep things under wraps. Edwards is renowned for it.

22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Pursued another choice and got it wrapped up in 2 days? 

I think not xD

This screams of smokescreen to keep things under wraps. Edwards is renowned for it.

I think both have definitely been on the radar, and I think we have contacted Olympiacos and asked about his availability prior to the first Lewis bid. We probably knew Norwich weren’t gonna budge easy and accelerated the dealings here. Olympiacos not gonna play hardball and the player is keen so it’s a quick deal. Can easily be done over a weekend.  

I would have suspected Lewis was the first choice as well, considering we bid for him... first. Then we moved on when Norwich wouldn't budge from the price (and tbh, I think what they wanted for him was a bit too much for a kid who's likely going to spend most of the foreseeable future on the bench). 

Let's be honest, for either Lewis or Tsimikas... they'd likely only get much time on the pitch if Robertson gets injured or if they are a remarkably good left back that Klopp has no choice but to start them over Robertson. I think the second option is INCREDIBLY unlikely, but obviously having quality depth is important. And I think the reasons @Inverted has given are good reasons why we've not gone for Lewis over this guy.

47 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I dont believe that a bid was rejected 2 days ago for Lewis and that today we have agreed a deal for another player if this agreed deal wasn't well down the line of being concluded anyway. It just doesnt work like that. 

By all accounts from all the sources close to the club that are pretty accurate for getting a pulse of what's going on behind the scenes, we've bid for Lewis first and moved on after learning Norwich wouldn't budge on the price.

It's not like being "second choice" on a transfer shortlist necessarily means you are signing a much shittier player. Even if you really really really want a player, it's not a given you'll get him and it's normal a club would have other options in line.

You're right that it doesn't just "work like that" - but that really indicates that we've probably been talking to Norwich and Olympiakos for weeks now. Norwich probably couldn't really give us a straight answer until they'd sorted their summer plans out... as they're obviously in a much less stable spot than we are in.

• The title was changed to Kostas Tsimikas Signs for Liverpool

Archived