talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Long Does Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer Have Left As Utd Boss?

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Devil said:

You personally don't believe we will finish above Chelsea. 

Well that means as much as me saying Villa are going to win the league. How can you say that, we are well ahead of Chelsea and with investment in the summer I believe we will be stronger again. 

Three players and I think we're in business, Sancho another CB and a midfielder. 

Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood can bag plenty of goals. 

Because Chelsea have been held back a bit by the same problem - a manager who was a bit out of his depth and held them back. The improvement under Tuchel is evident. There's no reason you couldn't have done similar. It's also not even a close comparison to saying Villa will win the league.

The problem is ultimately your aim should be trying to get better than Man City and competing for the Champions League. I just don't sense a desire at the club for that to happen, and by a desire, I don't mean words, I mean actions. Giving the manager a new contract having failed to win a competition you dropped into just reeks of no ambition to me. You can be better. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Cba reading this whole back and forth. I think I've got the jist of it. A few things:

Solskjaer is performing above what many expected and is nowhere near sackable territory right now. However, just by saying that it's evident the lower bar he's being judged at compared to basically every other Man Utd manager since Ferguson. 

I can't accept the "he can't win" thing. He's won no trophies, not mounted a serious title challenge yet and got knocked out in the Champions League group stage. If he was winning trebles and people were still doubting him then fair enough that would be silly. It's possible to admit that he's done okay so far whilst also pointing out that he hasn't really achieved anything yet.

That moves us onto the conversation of what should the expectations be at Man Utd. Well who could they accept being behind? Man City spend a bit more than Man Utd and their manager has had longer to build what he's built so fair enough. Liverpool were way ahead of Man Utd when Solskjaer took over, Man Utd are ahead this season but if you think that's really down to Solskjaer then you're pretty foolish. Chelsea have similar spending power to Man Utd but were/are in a similar position in terms of an inexperienced manager, so credit to Solskjaer for doing better than Lampard. Arsenal are irrelevant and Spurs aren't much better this season so being ahead of them really shouldn't carry any weight when appraising Solskjaer either. And that's not me saying "Solskjaer is only 2nd because everyone else is shit", it's me saying that if Man Utd were anywhere near that 6th-8th squabble with the players at their disposal, that would be utterly terrible, and just because Solskjaer is doing better than utterly terrible, doesn't mean that he's doing amazing or convincing me that he'll go on to win titles and trophies.

He is doing an average job, he's more than earned more time, but there are plenty of valid criticisms on the table. Finishing 2nd in this season is the bare minimum for me really. Those defending Solskjaer's record can't look me in the eye and say finishing behind Leicester would be in any way acceptable for a team with the players, stature and finances at Manchester United, even when you account for the shambles upstairs that any manager has to deal with at that club and is beyond his control, and at some point you have to raise expectations above him doing alright when everyone thought he'd be shit.

26 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I remember seeing improvement in a short space under Solksjaer after his appointment derided as the ‘new manager bounce’. Shame the same rhetoric doesn’t apply to other managers after a handful of games.

Ole logic mate, it doesn't matter who it is its as contagious as Covid mate. 

Once you catch 'Ole logic' you're fucked. You can be the most knowledgeable football fan in the world but you will find a reason to argue Paul Ince is a better football manager due to the way he has his lads performing in the warm up to matches. 

I'm also going to also add the following to the list of Ole quotes 'he's doing better than I expected' 

Why? 

Is he the only inexperienced manager to take a job in world football. 

47 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I remember seeing improvement in a short space under Solksjaer after his appointment derided as the ‘new manager bounce’. Shame the same rhetoric doesn’t apply to other managers after a handful of games.

people always say that, what you talking about phillis?

Archived