talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-0 Leeds - Saturday 2nd January, 2021

football forums

Just now, Stan said:

3-0. Game over. Meslier can't keep out Alderweireld's header.

Set pieces. Absolutely gash at them. Badly exposed at this level. We nearly always concede one every time we concede generally.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Rick said:

Bamford just needs slapped. 10 in 16 sounds good, but what is his goals to chances ratio? He’s such a frustrating player to watch. 

I remember @Lucas mentioning before that if they had the likes of Mitrovic or Watkins up front instead of Bamford, Leeds would've pissed the Championship last season.

Bamford scored a fair few then but considering the amount of chances Leeds were making, he should have scored more. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

According to whoscored.com, 3.6 shots per game from 16 appearances. So that works out as approximately 56/57 shots so far this season for a return of 10 goals. So ratio is about 20% give or take. 

10.5 xG according to fbref with a return of 10 goals is... fine. I didn't see the chance similar to Son's goal, but that header was a difficult chance and no way he "should have scored" it. I think the thing with Bamford is that he makes the bad finishes look really bad but actually his return is about what you'd expect. I wonder if it's a "corners" thing where he's trying to make sure it goes in if he catches it right rather than just getting it on target. Or he's just quite erratic

It reminds me of Leeds in general actually if you look at that Arsenal game where they made a hatful of chances which they blazed high and wide but really had no right to expect to score any of them.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Has there ever been a set piece that Leeds didn’t bend over for?

I would blame the lack of centre backs but to be totally frank, it was happening way before that. 

We're not a very 'big' side. And you'd have to question how we set up defensively for them too.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

10.5 xG according to fbref with a return of 10 goals is... fine. I didn't see the chance similar to Son's goal, but that header was a difficult chance and no way he "should have scored" it. I think the thing with Bamford is that he makes the bad finishes look really bad but actually his return is about what you'd expect. I wonder if it's a "corners" thing where he's trying to make sure it goes in if he catches it right rather than just getting it on target. Or he's just quite erratic

It reminds me of Leeds in general actually if you look at that Arsenal game where they made a hatful of chances which they blazed high and wide but really had no right to expect to score any of them.

Funnily enough I missed the header so don't know how good or bad a chance it was xD 

It's quite clear to see each game Bamford gets a lot of chances, some more decent than others. As you say it's the amount of chances they create you'd still expect more goals perhaps? As @Lucas and @Bluebird Hewitt point out, a more clinical striker means this debate wouldn't even be had. 

• Administrator

Leeds would do well to try the ball in over the top. I know it's not in their nature at all but Raphinha and Rodrigo, and Harrison before he went off, all made good runs in to space to be in behind Spurs defence but the pass never came. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Leeds would do well to try the ball in over the top. I know it's not in their nature at all but Raphinha and Rodrigo, and Harrison before he went off, all made good runs in to space to be in behind Spurs defence but the pass never came. 

To be totally frank we're a mess at the moment. Trying to overforce things and not really achieving much doing it.

So composed first half and I think that helped when it came to the passing and movement.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be totally frank we're a mess at the moment. Trying to overforce things and not really achieving much doing it.

So composed first half and I think that helped when it came to the passing and movement.

Definitely showing in the last 5 minutes. Overthinking and trying one too many passes.

At least we're still going. I'm always proud of this side for their approach even in these tough situations. The effort is still there to score.

I'd like to end the season having beaten one of the Top 6 at least. So many good moments in games but it's not enough, ultimately class in certain areas of the pitch tells.

Next season providing we survive, you could see us really improving if we make a few more higher level signings.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think if we are to evolve as a team, we need to be cut throat and sign a deadly striker.

Obviously not him because Wolves would never sell to us but someone who would absolutely thrive in this team is Jimenez.

Yeah against the lesser teams your style of play sees you through but these types of teams you’re too predictable and even just someone like Jimenez who can scored headers and create a goal out of half a second of nothing would change things up for you 

• Subscriber

Nice to get a win again - and a comfortable one at that. After that first goal we grew into the game. Did what we needed to over a 20-30 minute spell and then just saw the game out. 

Leeds are going to have more than enough to stay up playing this way against the lesser sides but they are also going to take some more hammerings before the end of the season because they’re just far too open and shaky at the back against the better teams. But all that really matters is staying up and they’ll definitely do that.

Can’t read too much into this game for us. Kane and Son still brilliant footballers. Mourinho still very negative. Move onto the cup semi  

Spurs deserved it, we had almost double the possession and 18 shots to their 20, but they took their chances which is what they tend to do. We are far too wasteful in good situations which is our undoing this season. The Son goal shows the difference between the sides. Bamford put his efforts, over, wide, tamely at Lloris and even an 'air kick'.

Shame the game changed on that penalty. Up to then, we were really in it dictating play and seemed in control, it was a silly mistake by Meslier which led to it and that's what's so frustrating.

I don't think it was inside the box personally and you know in a few weeks, there will be another similar incident where its not given but that's just the nature of the game these days. We got lucky with the Ben Mee incident last week. Swings and roundabouts.

Another learning curve really. I hope we get it right against one of the 'Top 6 sides' this season eventually because it would be nice to have a win to show for our play but we need to make sure we beat the lower half teams and try finish as far away from 18th as we can.

I'm still proud of this side, and these players. We're bringing good value to this league and we will only get better.

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Spurs deserved it, we had almost double the possession and 18 shots to their 20, but they took their chances which is what they tend to do. We are far too wasteful in good situations which is our undoing this season. The Son goal shows the difference between the sides. Bamford put his efforts, over, wide, tamely at Lloris and even an 'air kick'.

Shame the game changed on that penalty. Up to then, we were really in it dictating play and seemed in control, it was a silly mistake by Meslier which led to it and that's what's so frustrating.

I don't think it was inside the box personally and you know in a few weeks, there will be another similar incident where its not given but that's just the nature of the game these days. We got lucky with the Ben Mee incident last week. Swings and roundabouts.

Another learning curve really. I hope we get it right against one of the 'Top 6 sides' this season eventually because it would be nice to have a win to show for our play but we need to make sure we beat the lower half teams and try finish as far away from 18th as we can.

I'm still proud of this side, and these players. We're bringing good value to this league and we will only get better.

Would you want to play Bamford off of a goal scorer? Is his all round play important to the side even though he struggles to score with what he’s offered? Sort of Firminho style

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Would you want to play Bamford off of a goal scorer? Is his all round play important to the side even though he struggles to score with what he’s offered? Sort of Firminho style

His workrate is 100% why he is in. He works so hard for the team. Taking him away from that could be an issue but there's no reason why a higher quality player couldn't do that.

Honestly, Bamford has surpassed my expectations this season. I didn't think he'd be as much of a threat as he has been which is great, and credit to him, but to really go to that next level, we're going to have to sign someone more clinical.

The only other solution is we find someone that can play in the 10 or inside left (Harrison's position) that can chip in with goals to support him. Rodrigo doesn't get bags of goals, Harrison is very hit and miss.

Also, it's very annoying that pundits can talk about Liverpool missing centre backs for example (not a dig at Liverpool) but we've played the last three games without one.

We've not had a chance to pair our first choice centre backs together at any point all season. You'd think they might acknowledge that at least when they analyse the defensive aspects.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

His workrate is 100% why he is in. He works so hard for the team. Taking him away from that could be an issue but there's no reason why a higher quality player couldn't do that.

Honestly, Bamford has surpassed my expectations this season. I didn't think he'd be as much of a threat as he has been which is great, and credit to him, but to really go to that next level, we're going to have to sign someone more clinical.

The only other solution is we find someone that can play in the 10 or inside left (Harrison's position) that can chip in with goals to support him. Rodrigo doesn't get bags of goals, Harrison is very hit and miss.

If only you’d signed an underrated Algerian currently residing in east London :ph34r:

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Also, it's very annoying that pundits can talk about Liverpool missing centre backs for example (not a dig at Liverpool) but we've played the last three games without one.

We've not had a chance to pair our first choice centre backs together at any point all season. You'd think they might acknowledge that at least when they analyse the defensive aspects.

Not a chance xD. Liverpool are the only ones to have suffered an injury crisis this season!

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I think if we are to evolve as a team, we need to be cut throat and sign a deadly striker.

Obviously not him because Wolves would never sell to us but someone who would absolutely thrive in this team is Jimenez.

Or Diego Costa?

Archived