talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City 3-1 Liverpool - Saturday 13th February, 2021

football forum

36 minutes ago, Devil said:

My mates a Liverpool fan he gets really defensive when I say Thiago doesn't fit into Liverpool's system as well. 

You know how Liverpool play, incredible work rate and fantastic fast counter attacks in waves. Liverpool, or should I say this Liverpool side attack from all angles, it's impossible to play against because from the full backs through the midfield to the attack the game is about get the ball forward as quickly as possible and to have runners going off at all angles. It works so well because if the wide men don't hurt you the ball is pull back and the midfield is bombing on as well. 

Thiago has never played a system that breaks like that, he's a possession based footballer and yeah fair enough he's not played a large amount of games due to injury but I've seen enough to suggest he's struggling with it. Look we've had Veron back in the day, they come in absolute top class players and the league and football just blows their mind, yet you play them further down the line when they are back in their continental comfort zone and they are back at their best. 

Stand by prediction, I think he will be gone in the summer. Same with Van De Beek at United, he already looks like he want's out already. 

You're missing the point. Liverpool haven't been able to play anything remotely like the way you describe apart from a few games earlier in the season. Two of them were Chelsea and Everton. Thiago played 45 minutes v Chelsea (ok they were down to 10 men) and v Everton, Liverpool started extremely quickly and had Everton on the ropes early on. Thiago was a part of that. Obviously the game changed when Van Dijk goes off injured but Liverpool still played very well that day and should have won it in injury time. Thiago stood out in both.

Some of the positions Thiago is giving fouls away in wouldn't be happening if Liverpool were able to defend higher up the pitch.

I very much doubt Liverpool will be looking to move Thiago on in the summer given they will lose Wijnaldum and there's bigger question marks over a couple of other midfielders

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I think sometimes people forget how difficult it was for a lot of players to just come to Liverpool and hit the ground running. Whether it was Bobby, Robbo, etc they all went through this "they have potential but they could be better" phase. This system isn't designed to buy players into and hit the ground running, its designed to slowly integrate players. I think Thiago has what it takes to become very instrumental in how we play going forward but right now he's doing Fab's job while Fab is doing Virgil's job and now Hendo has been dragged into that as well. 

36 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

You're missing the point. Liverpool haven't been able to play anything remotely like the way you describe apart from a few games earlier in the season. Two of them were Chelsea and Everton. Thiago played 45 minutes v Chelsea (ok they were down to 10 men) and v Everton, Liverpool started extremely quickly and had Everton on the ropes early on. Thiago was a part of that. Obviously the game changed when Van Dijk goes off injured but Liverpool still played very well that day and should have won it in injury time. Thiago stood out in both.

Some of the positions Thiago is giving fouls away in wouldn't be happening if Liverpool were able to defend higher up the pitch.

I very much doubt Liverpool will be looking to move Thiago on in the summer given they will lose Wijnaldum and there's bigger question marks over a couple of other midfielders

Milner (Age) Wijnaldum (Leaving) Keita (Is he still alive?)

That's a fair point I hadn't thought about it from that angle actually. 

47 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yeah Milner has a year left on his contract after this season if I'm not mistaken but his involvement will get less and less assuming there's no injury crisis like this one next season. Keita is one that Liverpool are going to have to make a decision on given his fitness issues and whether they'll get what they want for him if they were to sell. Same for Chamberlain.

5 hours ago, Devil said:

My mates a Liverpool fan he gets really defensive when I say Thiago doesn't fit into Liverpool's system as well. 

You know how Liverpool play, incredible work rate and fantastic fast counter attacks in waves. Liverpool, or should I say this Liverpool side attack from all angles, it's impossible to play against because from the full backs through the midfield to the attack the game is about get the ball forward as quickly as possible and to have runners going off at all angles. It works so well because if the wide men don't hurt you the ball is pull back and the midfield is bombing on as well. 

Thiago has never played a system that breaks like that, he's a possession based footballer and yeah fair enough he's not played a large amount of games due to injury but I've seen enough to suggest he's struggling with it. Look we've had Veron back in the day, they come in absolute top class players and the league and football just blows their mind, yet you play them further down the line when they are back in their continental comfort zone and they are back at their best. 

Stand by prediction, I think he will be gone in the summer. Same with Van De Beek at United, he already looks like he want's out already. 

I think Mike’s point is more we’re not really anywhere near a normal Liverpool side right now. Because we’ve got a makeshift defense and a makeshift midfield and that’s how Thiago’s come into the team.

That’s a fair point, but we’re not going to see a “normal” Liverpool side til next season at the earliest now - because I’m sure we’d all agree that a CB brought on loan from a relegation battling Bundesliga side & Preston are probably going to be nowhere near the standard of VVD & Gomez xD

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Devil said:

This was my gut instinct when they signed him initially. Liverpool's midfield is generally about overrunning teams and they do that better than anybody in the world. That isn't Thiago's game. I agree he'd be far more suited to Man City.

I won't totally write him off yet as circumstances have hit them badly, but if I was to guess what would happen I'd say he'll end up at Sevilla when Rakitic leaves them again.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

This was my gut instinct when they signed him initially. Liverpool's midfield is generally about overrunning teams and they do that better than anybody in the world. That isn't Thiago's game. I agree he'd be far more suited to Man City.

I won't totally write him off yet as circumstances have hit them badly, but if I was to guess what would happen I'd say he'll end up at Sevilla when Rakitic leaves them again.

I think there was a plan for Thiago to make Liverpool a bit more controlled in a season where it was always going to be difficult to play like the Liverpool we all know because of the games being crammed into a shorter period and the nature of BCD football. As it turns out, he's had to do a bit more of the other stuff that you'd normally see Henderson and Fabinho doing because they've been lost to CB. And he can't tackle so he's getting shown up in that regard. 

As I said above, we've seen him in a Liverpool side that isn't decimated by injuries and he's played really well so there won't be anyone at the club ready to move him on yet I don't think.

23 hours ago, Devil said:

Keita is on furlough i think. guy has talent but boy can he use up his sick days fast. :)

13 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

Keita is on furlough i think. guy has talent but boy can he use up his sick days fast. :)

To be honest he's been absent that much for your lot I forgot how the lad actually plays. 

Maybe he will come round but it's not looking good for him given the number of injuries he has had. 

8 hours ago, Devil said:

To be honest he's been absent that much for your lot I forgot how the lad actually plays. 

Maybe he will come round but it's not looking good for him given the number of injuries he has had. 

tbh i dont think we will ever get the best out of him. his injury record is a joke. silly knocks keep him out for a month. 

4 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

tbh i dont think we will ever get the best out of him. his injury record is a joke. silly knocks keep him out for a month. 

Owen Hargreaves was like that for us, in the end you start questioning if they actually want to play or they are just soft as shite. 

Suppose you wouldn't know unless you were as in condition as these guys are, they've got muscled to pull we've never developed 😂

Archived