talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City 3-1 Liverpool - Saturday 13th February, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber

Ndidi's probably the most underrated player in the league. Not to dig the others out but if you put Choudhury or Mendy in his role today, and we set up like that I'd say it's totally plausible we lose 0-4. He's become almost Kante-level in winning the ball. We've hardly dropped a point with him in the side this season.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't start with the Liverpool media bias narrative please?! 

You have McManaman on the co-commentary doing all your BT Games xDxD. And Carragher on Sky for all your games...

It wasn't glossed over in commentary either considering he mentioned it. Maybe it wasn't mentioned because there wasn't contact - I genuinely didn't see any, even on the replay.

That's quite telling. He didn't even look tired or injured. 

Well Dodger seems to have gone awol so someone has to :ph34r:

Nah, I don't think there's a massive anti-Liverpool agenda but you hear the odd thing about a pro-Liverpool agenda which is equally ridiculous, as evidenced by the fact it got about 3 seconds of conversation. That's glossing over for me :what: I don't know what to tell you if you don't see contact mate. It's there

On the McManaman and Carragher thing, I think you can definitely argue they focus on Liverpool, but I don't think the actual content of what they say is egregiously pro-Liverpool. I would rather they didn't do our games to be honest, McManaman especially

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The worst decision of the lot was Mane not getting a free kick in the build up to the second goal. 

This. Clear fucking push from Evans and it’s ignored completely by that slaphead. 

• Administrator

Anyone got a clip of the Evans/Mane thing because I don't remember seeing it during the game - at least, not seeing any replays, but that might be to do with how crazy I was going we'd scored xD. Genuinely don't recall it.

11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Well Dodger seems to have gone awol so someone has to :ph34r:

Nah, I don't think there's a massive anti-Liverpool agenda but you hear the odd thing about a pro-Liverpool agenda which is equally ridiculous, as evidenced by the fact it got about 3 seconds of conversation. That's glossing over for me :what: I don't know what to tell you if you don't see contact mate. It's there

On the McManaman and Carragher thing, I think you can definitely argue they focus on Liverpool, but I don't think the actual content of what they say is egregiously pro-Liverpool. I would rather they didn't do our games to be honest, McManaman especially

McManaman was absolutely wounded after the 2nd goal. Only heard him give the man of the match to the wrong person (Barnes over Ndidi) after it.

I can't stand him. Even on CL games he does, he's insufferable. 

6 hours ago, Mpache said:

That's a bit harsh to be honest, talents can stand out anywhere and do well in a superior league, but what is true is that the Bundesliga is well below average in comparison to the Premier League and it's showing.

Stop touching boys in your spare time and start watching some football. 
Leipzig knocked united out, and all 4 Bundesliga teams made it to the knock out stage of the CL. 

I'd tell you to screw your head on, but that would involve you getting screwed for once. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Stop touching boys in your spare time and start watching some football. 
Leipzig knocked united out, and all 4 Bundesliga teams made it to the knock out stage of the CL. 

I'd tell you to screw your head on, but that would involve you getting screwed for once. 

Well then we think differently. Cheers!

• Subscriber

That Salah penalty claim is one that you would've got one or two people claiming for about five years ago and they would generally have been laughed at and we moved on. Problem now is so many of a similar nature get given, the sport has shifted, so I can see why you would think it was a good claim. I'm in this weird dilemma with us where I think if that was us, I'd not be going mad about it, but you see them given these days so maybe I would.

45 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Really? I don't think this is true.

I can see why Liverpool fans might think this is established though (sorry couldn't resist :ph34r:).

What does happen often though is that when a player gets a certain reputation then referees subconsciously let that sway them on marginal decisions. Salah dived big time for a penalty last week. In my opinion, he was impeded by Dias, some people were saying it wasn't enough to be a foul. Either way, he threw himself down. Salah is a bad diver as well, not in the sense that he does it all the time, but in the sense that he has one diving technique, the 50 cal. bullet to the lower spine technique. Other players have an ability to make it look more natural when they essentially do the same thing but it looks less egregious and then gets talked about less.

If you're Mo Salah and you've decided that you need to exaggerate contact like last week to get a penalty in a high profile game then fine, you're far from the only one who will do that, but it's a calculated risk. It guarantees that he gets the penalty against Man City but a week later he's less likely to get another one.

The referees shouldn't allow themselves to be influenced by factors like this but it happens to everyone, they're only human. That said, I don't think the incident today was a penalty. Have we seen worse given this season? The odd one, perhaps, but I don't think we're seeing those given every weekend just yet.

As for the Liverpool media bias stuff, I do think we'd have heard more about the dive for last week's penalty if it was Zaha, Vardy, Sterling, Richarlison, etc. Can't prove it either way though. I was watching American commentary today (thank the lord for a day off from McManaman) and I thought they assessed the penalty claim pretty fairly. Contact but nowhere near enough really.

I definitely think so. Just last week you had two, one for United, one against Arsenal. Obviously the Welbeck one against us sticks in my craw. Confirmation bias, but I can't think of many like that that don't get given.

I definitely agree on the reputation thing. I said earlier in the thread that I'm not really bothered about how it's spoken about on here, but the media matters because it affects referees. Saw on Twitter that Salah has by far the fewest fouls given against him per touch. If you think that's not down to some sort of bias, you're insane. Maybe it's the referees deciding amongst themselves not to give him anything, but he remains the only player I've seen be accused of theatrics for not going down. Salah absolutely does not help himself with the way he goes down and I think the way he's selective about when he does it, but equally it's insane what defenders are allowed to get away with when it comes to dealing with him.

I'm not sure where you'd expect to see coverage of that dive if it was any of those players, because I don't think we'd see it in mainstream channels at all. At the end of the day, TF365 and random Twitter accounts don't move the needle in terms of public discourse. Richarlison's the only one I'd say you might be right with, but no one's arsed about the Ev anyway la :ph34r:

45 minutes ago, Stan said:

Anyone got a clip of the Evans/Mane thing because I don't remember seeing it during the game - at least, not seeing any replays, but that might be to do with how crazy I was going we'd scored xD. Genuinely don't recall it.

McManaman was absolutely wounded after the 2nd goal. Only heard him give the man of the match to the wrong person (Barnes over Ndidi) after it.

I can't stand him. Even on CL games he does, he's insufferable. 

https://twitter.com/dave121260/status/1360593299099238402?s=19

Yeah, McManaman clearly has an affection for Liverpool, which is why I don't like him commentating on our games. He's not able to be objective, under- and over-compensating at times, and is always talking about Liverpool. He doesn't even have the insight you'd get from. A fan channel

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Saw on Twitter that Salah has by far the fewest fouls given against him per touch. If you think that's not down to some sort of bias, you're insane.

The rest of your post is fair enough but I'm not sure about this one. This is the first I've heard of this metric existing and smacks of a pissed off Liverpool fan finding the most unfair-sounding obscure statistic to suit a pre-determined agenda and fired it out onto Twitter. People do this all the time and it results in every fanbase thinking that they're victimised unfairly or that there's a bias against them. So many things are measured obsessively now. If I could be arsed, I could find another obscure statistic that made it look like Salah or basically any other player gets a disproportionate number of decisions in their favour. 

The bottom line is that 99% of decisions can be rationalised. You get the occasional howler and sometimes they happen at the worst possible time or a team goes on a run of bad luck where they're on the receiving end of it an unlikely number of times in quick succession. There are inconsistencies with the referees' interpretation of the rules and use of VAR but that's all they are, inconsistencies. People will always try and extrapolate this to prove bias against their team but they can never and will never actually prove it because for every isolated incident which "proves" their point, there's another incident on another occasion that completely disproves it.

I think the Salah reputation is a minor bias but these things never last. If it happens a few times then the media will do their thing, over-analyse all of the times where marginal decisions have gone against him and soon things will swing in the opposite direction. I also think it's a choice that Salah makes. You never know, maybe if he'd stayed on his feet last weekend, there would have been an outcry about why he didn't get a penalty, the discourse may have focused on why players get punished for staying on their feet when they're impeded, and maybe he then gets the one today. For this one incident, though, I don't think it was that borderline but maybe I'm naively clinging on to a sport that no longer exists.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

https://twitter.com/dave121260/status/1360593299099238402?s=19

Yeah, McManaman clearly has an affection for Liverpool, which is why I don't like him commentating on our games. He's not able to be objective, under- and over-compensating at times, and is always talking about Liverpool. He doesn't even have the insight you'd get from. A fan channel

Ahaha yeah that's a foul. If Kabak does that on Vardy I'm wanting a free-kick.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The rest of your post is fair enough but I'm not sure about this one. This is the first I've heard of this metric existing and smacks of a pissed off Liverpool fan finding the most unfair-sounding obscure statistic to suit a pre-determined agenda and fired it out onto Twitter. People do this all the time and it results in every fanbase thinking that they're victimised unfairly or that there's a bias against them. So many things are measured obsessively now. If I could be arsed, I could find another obscure statistic that made it look like Salah or basically any other player gets a disproportionate number of decisions in their favour. 

The bottom line is that 99% of decisions can be rationalised. You get the occasional howler and sometimes they happen at the worst possible time or a team goes on a run of bad luck where they're on the receiving end of it an unlikely number of times in quick succession. There are inconsistencies with the referees' interpretation of the rules and use of VAR but that's all they are, inconsistencies. People will always try and extrapolate this to prove bias against their team but they can never and will never actually prove it because for every isolated incident which "proves" their point, there's another incident on another occasion that completely disproves it.

I think the Salah reputation is a minor bias but these things never last. If it happens a few times then the media will do their thing, over-analyse all of the times where marginal decisions have gone against him and soon things will swing in the opposite direction. I also think it's a choice that Salah makes. You never know, maybe if he'd stayed on his feet last weekend, there would have been an outcry about why he didn't get a penalty, the discourse may have focused on why players get punished for staying on their feet when they're impeded, and maybe he then gets the one today. For this one incident, though, I don't think it was that borderline but maybe I'm naively clinging on to a sport that no longer exists.

I agree in principle, but I'm not having it in this case. Some of the decisions Salah doesn't get (particularly when defenders are wrestling and holding him) are absolutely ridiculous and it happens far too regularly to be coincidence. If you can contextualise that statistic, then fair enough I'll accept it because I'm well aware of how unhinged I probably sound, but I genuinely don't think you can. (I know you're not going to try, so I'm largely being rhetorical)

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I agree in principle, but I'm not having it in this case. Some of the decisions Salah doesn't get (particularly when defenders are wrestling and holding him) are absolutely ridiculous and it happens far too regularly to be coincidence. If you can contextualise that statistic, then fair enough I'll accept it because I'm well aware of how unhinged I probably sound, but I genuinely don't think you can. (I know you're not going to try, so I'm largely being rhetorical)

I don't know if I could but I do know that I definitely can't be arsed trying xD.

• Subscriber

I feel like this has been swept under the rug a bit over the past few days. Not being able to go home for his Mum's funeral is fucked up for anyone before you even factor in the hectic fixture schedule, the difficult results and the public nature of his job. It looked like he shed a tear in one of the interviews after the game and you can't really blame him.

• Administrator

Yeah the media are savages. Some journos just out for a story, some clicks, some one liner they can hinge a story on. They don't give a shit about personal emotions or have an ability to empathise. Then when something drastic happens, they jump on the boat of caring before casting a drastically cutting headline a day or two later. 

Klopp has my sympathies. I didn't enjoy the snippet I saw of him nearly welling up after saying he's conceded the title. I don't envy his position and it's very sad he couldn't travel to Germany to mourn and say goodbye. 

The video of him welling up just made me sad. He’s got so much on his shoulders right now, the poor man can’t catch a break. 

I’d like to think the players will properly step up on Tuesday night, but we have all been saying that for the last few weeks. Confidence is shot. 

53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I feel like this has been swept under the rug a bit over the past few days. Not being able to go home for his Mum's funeral is fucked up for anyone before you even factor in the hectic fixture schedule, the difficult results and the public nature of his job. It looked like he shed a tear in one of the interviews after the game and you can't really blame him.

Saw a vid of him being a dick to a reporter but you can understand why now

15 hours ago, shut up said:

Like most Bundesliga imports, Thiago has no idea what to do in the premier league 

Liverpool won the league, off the back of Matip and Firminho. 
City created a dynasty off the back of De Bruyne, and will win the league this year thanks to Gundogan. 

But sure, because Liverpool bought Bayerns dirty laundry and Chelsea threw the checkbook at some stupid targets the Bundesliga imports are shite :congrats:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

City created a dynasty off the back of De Bruyne, and will win the league this year thanks to Gundogan. 

But sure, because Liverpool bought Bayerns dirty laundry and Chelsea threw the checkbook at some stupid targets the Bundesliga imports are shite :congrats:

Ignore him. We fully enjoyed Okazaki and Fuchs in our title victory after they made the journey from Germany :D

• The topic was unpinned
9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So why is Thiago so crap after everyone at Bayern talked about him like he was Xabi Alonso on crack?

Archived