talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Beer

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never had a Brewdog beer I really liked.

Everyone's got different tastebuds, so I wouldn't say "don't try it" ... but I think they're a shite brewery

I’ve never had it but only heard bad reviews from people who are into beer. Most of it is part of the new pale ale trend of average beers that are easier to drink than a lager but at the same time feel like they’re missing something.

They work in a hot climate, but of a big part drink somewhere like London

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that's just marketing bullshit to try to get people to buy their beers.

I agree with you, nothing wrong with cheap beers - especially cheap German beers that are really good.

I dunno if their beers in Germany were meant to be the same as their American beers - I remember reading that they were going to try to make beers in a traditional German styles with a bit of a San Diego twist to it (which, I think ironically one of San Diegos better breweries - and one of it's oldest ones - already does... but in San Diego... and generally makes better beers than Stone; but they were founded by a German brewer).

I wouldn't put it past them to have shit market research though. I think Stone is a decent beer company, some of their beers are very good - some of them are totally shite... but they've made some weird business decisions in the last 5-10 years.

But when they've tried making beers in other regional styles, I think they've done a good job. They've got a Mexican lager that is absolutely phenomenal, the best Mexican lager I'd had until I went to an independent brewery in Tijuana which had the best lager I've ever had in my life, they had a beer that used Hawaiian hops (which I can now verify, actual Hawaiian beer is brilliant - I dunno how/why hops grown there taste different, but they are great - Maui Brewing Co. was a great brewery tour) and it was one of the more interesting beers I've had in my life to this day.

So I'd have to guess that their German style beers were quite tasty. Dunno if they're as good as other independent brewers in Germany, and probably not.

One thing San Diego breweries are definitely guilty of... at least in their marketing... is acting like they're gods gift to beer and that no other country/city does craft beer. And in some respects, I think the beer scene in San Diego is fucking brilliant and unlike other places in the world. In other respects, it's just arrogant as fuck to assume there's no other independent brewers anywhere else in the world.

Particularly in Germany, a country that's famous for tasty beer xD

Yeah, I don't question their capabilities in brewing good beer - I've never tried it, but I believe you :) But that blog post makes them look bad, as instead of questioning their own business decisions, they just decided to trash Germans, their beer drinking culture and habits; something they clearly didn't understand well before opening their brewery in Germany... Or something they misjudged completely. It's pretty arrogant to claim that they wanted to bring good beer to the Germans (that alone is a pretty arrogant attitude, tbh xD ), but failed, because according to them, Germans only drink cheap shitty beer xD Comes across as completely clueless. Another thing - even if they were brewing beers in traditional German styles with their own twist, it's still quite bold for them to assume that they'd be able to offer something better than those original ones. If they brewed Weißbier, for example - what do they think they can offer that one of 600+ breweries in Bavaria can't, and in addition to that, how would they justify a much higher price?... Hard to imagine. Same applies to other styles brewed in around 1500 breweries throughout Germany. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I don't question their capabilities in brewing good beer - I've never tried it, but I believe you :) But that blog post makes them look bad, as instead of questioning their own business decisions, they just decided to trash Germans, their beer drinking culture and habits; something they clearly didn't understand well before opening their brewery in Germany... Or something they misjudged completely. It's pretty arrogant to claim that they wanted to bring good beer to the Germans (that alone is a pretty arrogant attitude, tbh xD ), but failed, because according to them, Germans only drink cheap shitty beer xD Comes across as completely clueless. Another thing - even if they were brewing beers in traditional German styles with their own twist, it's still quite bold for them to assume that they'd be able to offer something better than those original ones. If they brewed Weißbier, for example - what do they think they can offer that one of 600+ breweries in Bavaria can't, and in addition to that, how would they justify a much higher price?... Hard to imagine. Same applies to other styles brewed in around 1500 breweries throughout Germany. 

Tbf one of their most famous beers is called "Arrogant Bastard" (which, by the way, I think is fucking shit xD) - so I think a lot of their marketing is arrogant as fuck by design.

Can understand it rubbing people the wrong way though.

• Haha 1

And for what it's worth, I think any foreign brewery thinking they can open a second home in Germany is going to have a bad time. I understand why Stone initially wanted to go there - they're probably the biggest brewery in San Diego, a big beer city, and they wanted to have a second home in Germany, which many beer lovers consider the land of beer.

But it's the land of beer for a reason. Stone's been around for a matter of minutes in comparison to a lot of German breweries - they're relatively inexperienced and a small name in the business compared to a lot of German beer makers, even some of the smaller independent ones I imagine.

It's a tough market to crack and I'm not surprised they failed because... why would I pay more for a beer made by someone I'd never heard of if I know I've got loads of good beer options here. It's a bit like when other US breweries try to open up in San Diego and slap a pricetag I cannot fucking understand on the beers. Why the fuck would I buy a beer I've never heard of for $4 more per 6pack when I've got shitloads of great beers made right by me at a decent price.

And I'd figure Stone probably should have known this better than other companies given they're in this city and have seen breweries come and go but fail to make a mark on the beer lover crowd here.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And for what it's worth, I think any foreign brewery thinking they can open a second home in Germany is going to have a bad time. I understand why Stone initially wanted to go there - they're probably the biggest brewery in San Diego, a big beer city, and they wanted to have a second home in Germany, which many beer lovers consider the land of beer.

But it's the land of beer for a reason. Stone's been around for a matter of minutes in comparison to a lot of German breweries - they're relatively inexperienced and a small name in the business compared to a lot of German beer makers, even some of the smaller independent ones I imagine.

It's a tough market to crack and I'm not surprised they failed because... why would I pay more for a beer made by someone I'd never heard of if I know I've got loads of good beer options here. It's a bit like when other US breweries try to open up in San Diego and slap a pricetag I cannot fucking understand on the beers. Why the fuck would I buy a beer I've never heard of for $4 more per 6pack when I've got shitloads of great beers made right by me at a decent price.

And I'd figure Stone probably should have known this better than other companies given they're in this city and have seen breweries come and go but fail to make a mark on the beer lover crowd here.

Stone have been shit for years mate. Never was more sick then when I had a tally of their wootstout

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Stone have been shit for years mate. Never was more sick then when I had a tally of their wootstout

They've got a location that's only 3 or 4 blocks from me so whenever I get it I usually get it straight from the kegs there. They've got some good beers still for sure.

My first ever IPA was Stone Arrogant Bastard. In general I like their beers but if I want a German beer I'll buy a beer from Germany. 

I'm pretty proud of my local breweries. They don't do German beers but they do make some fucking fantastic beer. I've been spoiled for choice here and in all my travels in the US I haven't found a region with a better selection. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2022 at 18:25, Coma said:

My first ever IPA was Stone Arrogant Bastard. In general I like their beers but if I want a German beer I'll buy a beer from Germany. 

I'm pretty proud of my local breweries. They don't do German beers but they do make some fucking fantastic beer. I've been spoiled for choice here and in all my travels in the US I haven't found a region with a better selection. 

Weird that was your first IPA given it isn't an IPA xD It's nothing close to an IPA it's a strong ale

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

Weird that was your first IPA given it isn't an IPA xD It's nothing close to an IPA it's a strong ale

Seriously dude, you just love to come on this forum and tell people how wrong they are or criticize their posts. Just fuck off. Seriously, fuck off somewhere else.

16 minutes ago, Coma said:

Seriously dude, you just love to come on this forum and tell people how wrong they are or criticize their posts. Just fuck off. Seriously, fuck off somewhere else.

Wowee I wasn’t expecting that. How about I don’t fuck off, and maybe you take a step back and realise that maybe you are misreading

Now I know how @Eco felt when I had a go at him for the same reason, sorry Eco!

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Wowee I wasn’t expecting that. How about I don’t fuck off, and maybe you take a step back and realise that maybe you are misreading

Now I know how @Eco felt when I had a go at him for the same reason, sorry Eco!

That's fine. I'm probably just "reading angry". I just seem to do that a lot with your posts that are directed at me. Maybe it is my problem, but honestly I don't need the stress.

From now on we can both just assume that I'm talking out my ass so you won't have to point it out and I won't have to derail a thread with my angry response.

7 minutes ago, Coma said:

That's fine. I'm probably just "reading angry". I just seem to do that a lot with your posts that are directed at me. Maybe it is my problem, but honestly I don't need the stress.

From now on we can both just assume that I'm talking out my ass so you won't have to point it out and I won't have to derail a thread with my angry response.

Nah I’ll forget in an hour. You just need worry about the Bengals, I have you covered on everything else 👍

There is nothing wrong with being wrong, nudge made me look like an arsehole when I was wrong the other day and I’m better because of it.

PS I wasn’t correcting you to gloat or anything I just didn’t want you or anyone else to go out and spend real money on Arrogant Bastard thinking it is an IPA only to get something else entirely! I thought I was looking out for youxD guess not

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Coma said:

Sorry about the outburst yesterday. Back on track today with beer cheese and a smoky doppel.

20220213_153024.jpg

20220213_152309.jpg

What's beer cheese? 🤔 Is it called that because it actually contains beer, or because it goes well with beer? xD 

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's beer cheese? 🤔 Is it called that because it actually contains beer, or because it goes well with beer? xD 

It is a southern thing. I think they add beer to it so it has a smooth spread consistency. I think it is just a cheddar?

I think I had it once or twice

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cheese with beer in it. I've always had it with pumpernickel or rye on the side. Usually only have it when peeps come over but I'll be watching the game tonight so i figured what the hell.

I've seen it served with soft pretzels as well.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

I usually make it as a 50-50 cheddar-beer mix to thin it out. I tend to use more beer than others might 😀.

• Upvote 2