talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Not Prime Barcelona 3-2 Liverpool - Sunday 7th November, 2021

football forums

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Lack of funds given is him being stopped from doing it. When given limited funds in the summer, he rightly prioritised bringing in a defender. 

But he knows that the club operates differently to some other clubs and he explains that when he's asked about transfers. Funds aren't being withheld from him, the club are operating how he knew they would when he took the job and everything he says confirms that and he seems happy with it. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no issue with Klopp not wanting to spend money until he's sure it's a player he really wants. We've generally had good success with that - other than Karius, Grujic (although I think overall we made a profit there), Keita, and Thiago (but I'm not going to write off a player of his pedigree just yet)

It's just frustrating when something that fans saw a potential weakness in our midfield and how many injury prone player's we've got... and now we're having a bit of an injury crisis. And honestly, it's probably made a bit more compounded by us not having Bobby for a month or more - because he does help out our midfield when he plays pretty significantly. But things like that freak injury to Elliott can't really be controlled. Although, I think Keita getting an injury is probably something that should be expected at this point. But back to back midfield performances in the league like that are obviously going to be at least a bit concerning. Argument could be made that there's a bit of a European hangover after pissing through that "group of death"... but we'd still want to see a better performance than that from our midfield.

It's not like I'm at the match abusing players or tweeting offensive shit at anybody. I'm just discussing the football team I support on a football forum that's meant to discuss football - which tbf I don't think anyone has an issue with other than MadLad xD

The good news is, we should have almost everyone back after the international break. I don't know if Fabinho was called up or if Brazil have matches, but hopefully not because he and Henderson staying fit and in form for as long as possible is key to us enjoying the way this season pans out.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have no issue with Klopp not wanting to spend money until he's sure it's a player he really wants. We've generally had good success with that - other than Karius, Grujic (although I think overall we made a profit there), Keita, and Thiago (but I'm not going to write off a player of his pedigree just yet)

It's just frustrating when something that fans saw a potential weakness in our midfield and how many injury prone player's we've got... and now we're having a bit of an injury crisis. And honestly, it's probably made a bit more compounded by us not having Bobby for a month or more - because he does help out our midfield when he plays pretty significantly. But things like that freak injury to Elliott can't really be controlled. Although, I think Keita getting an injury is probably something that should be expected at this point. But back to back midfield performances in the league like that are obviously going to be at least a bit concerning. Argument could be made that there's a bit of a European hangover after pissing through that "group of death"... but we'd still want to see a better performance than that from our midfield.

It's not like I'm at the match abusing players or tweeting offensive shit at anybody. I'm just discussing the football team I support on a football forum that's meant to discuss football - which tbf I don't think anyone has an issue with other than MadLad xD

The good news is, we should have almost everyone back after the international break. I don't know if Fabinho was called up or if Brazil have matches, but hopefully not because he and Henderson staying fit and in form for as long as possible is key to us enjoying the way this season pans out.

I've no problem with people expressing concerns mate... I do have a problem though with when we very rarely lose a game, the same old faces want FSG out, new forwards, new midfielders, Klopp isn't being backed etc etc etc. 

It's totally irrational all the time. 

Also, quick question to a couple of you on here. 

Worst case scenario, Trent ends up injured. What happens then? Bring in that 35 year old midfielder in Milner to get minced by any quick winger or wingback. Or we play Williams, who has only looked decent against crap teams in the cup. Great that. 

This squad is severely lacking, and anybody denying it is either blind or in denial. 

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Worst case scenario, Trent ends up injured. What happens then? Bring in that 35 year old midfielder in Milner to get minced by any quick winger or wingback. Or we play Williams, who has only looked decent against crap teams in the cup. Great that. 

This squad is severely lacking, and anybody denying it is either blind or in denial. 

For a aquad that is totally injury ravished, we don't do half bad!

So now you want another RB? And a midfielder? And a forward?

Anything else? It is Christmas coming after all!

There isn't one single club in the world that wouldn't suffer if a certain player got injured. Get with the real world. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

For a aquad that is totally injury ravished, we don't do half bad!

So now you want another RB? And a midfielder? And a forward?

Anything else? It is Christmas coming after all!

I would like you to answer the question. It’s not hard. 

Trent being our biggest chance creator, as well as our only reliable RB. Was just wondering what we have in place in case he was injured. Is your answer the same as mine in being “we would be fucked”?

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

Quite difficult finding a back up to a right back who plays like Trent does and plays the amount of games he does. Not saying there's no one out there that could do that job, we've found an alternative to Robertson after all, but there's no point in just signing any cunt like you wanted Liverpool to do with Townsend or Rondon in the forward positions. 

No one is saying the squad is perfect,  neither are our rivals squads though. I think Liverpool's squad is better than you give it credit for.

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

I would like you to answer the question. It’s not hard. 

Trent being our biggest chance creator, as well as our only reliable RB. Was just wondering what we have in place in case he was injured. Is your answer the same as mine in being “we would be fucked”?

Was we fucked when he missed 4 weeks earlier in the season? Nope, we never lost a game

Again.. there isn't a club in the world who wouldn't struggle if they lost a certain player in a certain position. 

Look at City... they have spent about £65965million on FB's , yet Walker is still their best FB. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Quite difficult finding a back up to a right back who plays like Trent does and plays the amount of games he does. Not saying there's no one out there that could do that job, we've found an alternative to Robertson after all, but there's no point in just signing any cunt like you wanted Liverpool to do with Townsend or Rondon in the forward positions. 

No one is saying the squad is perfect,  neither are our rivals squads though. I think Liverpool's squad is better than you give it credit for.

I compared Townsend and (to a lesser extent) Rondon to some of our bench players. Apart from Carabao cup games, what has Minamino genuinely offered to this team? Especially off the bench. You’re telling me Townsend would do worse? I get it’s easier for your argument to imply I wanted Townsend playing over Mane, but that’s not what I was saying at all. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Didn't know Fabinho used to be RB. 

Fair. 

Let’s play Fabinho at RB just like we did Him at CB last season and see what happens to our midfield again,  

Moving a crucial player from their crucial position to plug a gap elsewhere is not good enough 😂 Any fucker can say “x can be moved there” and I guess that’s an answer to my question, but it’s hardly an answer to the problem is it. Tsimikas is a very good player, who appreciates he is at a club where he won’t play every game. Yet he’s here, and he’s put in excellent performances when Robbo has been out. Getting a player with that ability and mindset in behind Trent isn’t as farfetched as being made out. This is Liverpool, not every player we bring in is expecting to be playing every game.

That being said, I’m not adding a RB to the January shopping list because I think CM is a much more pressing issue if we were to have a fiver to spend. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Let’s play Fabinho at RB just like we did Him at CB last season and see what happens to our midfield again,  

Lets hope this never comes to pass because I think Fab did a great job at CB last season but with what we did in the summer and barring any kind of freak accident I'd like him operating where he is for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

I compared Townsend and (to a lesser extent) Rondon to some of our bench players. Apart from Carabao cup games, what has Minamino genuinely offered to this team? Especially off the bench. You’re telling me Townsend would do worse? I get it’s easier for your argument to imply I wanted Townsend playing over Mane, but that’s not what I was saying at all. 

It would be a pointless move bringing in a player like that, absolutely pointless. You just undermine your own points with suggestions like that. 

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It would be a pointless move bringing in a player like that, absolutely pointless. You just undermine your own points with suggestions like that. 

Okay, pointless how? I asked a simple question, do you think Townsend would have contributed less than Minamino? 5 goals and 3 assists this season in a quite shit Everton side.  

I’m not gonna die on this “sign Townsend” hill, I just think there are players out there who wouldn’t cost the world who would be offering more to the squad. I’m officially withdrawing the Rondon suggestion as well. Last I saw him he was a handful at Newcastle. Clearly, he’s came back from China an absolutely trotter. 

• Subscriber

If it helps, I wouldn't have Minamino over Townsend and it isn't a close decision. I really don't think that's a controversial take. He was available on a free and is probably on what £50k a week. He's not the quality of player that Liverpool should be signing. In the long run he probably isn't even the quality of player Everton should be signing. But Minamino is fucking shite so it's not unreasonable to suggest that you'd rather have Townsend on a one year deal or something because he does actually do stuff on a football pitch sometimes.

Rondon, on the other hand, wouldn't get a game ahead of a blindfolded @CaaC (John) if I was the Everton manager. This is a completely different kettle of fish to discuss.

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Okay, pointless how? I asked a simple question, do you think Townsend would have contributed less than Minamino? 5 goals and 3 assists this season in a quite shit Everton side.  

I’m not gonna die on this “sign Townsend” hill, I just think there are players out there who wouldn’t cost the world who would be offering more to the squad. 

I think he would have contributed less on the basis that he would be getting the same or less minutes, yes. He'd be no improvement. There are about 10 years worth of evidence that he belongs at a club in midtable at best but has spent a fair chunk further down the table.

You say what you're asking for isn't unreasonable but then come up with shite like that. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I think he would have contributed less on the basis that he would be getting the same or less minutes, yes. He'd be no improvement. There are about 10 years worth of evidence that he belongs at a club in midtable at best but has spent a fair chunk further down the table.

You say what you're asking for isn't unreasonable but then come up with shite like that. 

Minamino has done fuck all Mike. Fuck all. Came to the club and has just shrunk into a fucking borrower. He has skill, that can’t be denied, but he hasn’t got the confidence to really  get stuck in. 

@RandoEFC has pretty much summed up my thoughts. I won’t go as far as saying Minamino is shite, but I think Townsend would have done more with the same minutes. 

Archived