The better place to talk football.

World's Friendliest Countries

football forum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

All Asian cultures are generally very hospitable. 

It's one of the reasons why I so badly want to extensively travel Central Asia. I haven't had much exposure to the cultures there, unfortunately, except from my Uzbek roommate in my uni days.

I kinda thought Scotland would be on there, and then when I saw the list was almost entirely south or south-east Asian countries I thought it was going in a totally different direction, and then surprisingly Scotland was on there after all.

Idk what to make of it. I think in a way it’s kind of self-perpetuating where once there’s a stereotype of people being welcoming, people in real life feel some kind of obligation to live up to the expectation. 

It’s hard to generalise about whole countries. Even within Scotland there’s a kind of sub-stereotype where Glaswegians are welcoming and Edinburghers are snobbish. I would expect myself and most people I know to be happy to speak to a stranger and to give them 5 minutes of time if they needed help, but I can’t possibly say that everyone in Glasgow is the same, or that everyone in other places isn’t the same.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Coma said:

Did not expect to see Southeast Asia so prominent in that last.

I would have guessed Scandinavia.  Goes to show what I know.

Scandinavians are only friendly when they're drunk xD 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Scandinavians are only friendly when they're drunk xD 

I've had a few friends tell me it was nice.  One in particular spent a month in Iceland and raved about how nice the people were.  I'm sure it's all in your presentation, too.  If you come off like a dick, they'll treat you like one.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Interesting list, alot of places I wouldnt have expected. Cambodia was a place I always wanted to see, I was supposed to go to the Philippines.. probably still will do that one at some point. 

Philippines are next on my list in SE Asia, too. 

Cambodia is an interesting destination, but it depends on what you expect of it. It's not your typical beach holiday destination, but the people are amazing.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Coma said:

I've had a few friends tell me it was nice.  One in particular spent a month in Iceland and raved about how nice the people were.  I'm sure it's all in your presentation, too.  If you come off like a dick, they'll treat you like one.

Ha, I was mostly joking and didn't mean to imply that they are rude or anything. Rather referring to how Nordic people tend to be more reserved, disengaged, cold, and keep more to themselves. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Two childhood friends are from Manilla and its such a nice place you'll love it. So hard to believe that they also have one of, if not the most, strictest guys when it comes to drug control and tolerance. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cambodia is an interesting destination, but it depends on what you expect of it. It's not your typical beach holiday destination, but the people are amazing.

My Fiance is Philippino, her older sister still lives in Manilla as well so Im pretty sure we'll get there at some point. We had a trip semi planned for the beginning of the year with one of my best friends and his family (his wife is Philippino and her family as well) unfortunate we wont really be able to do something like that but eh such is life.

Absolutely what I would expect! there was an old Canadian show called Departures I dont even remember how old it is anymore but it was a couple of Canadian friends that traveled all over the world for nearly 3 straight years. They did off the beat path type things, cultural immersions, they had hookups and friends and friends of friends in alot of countries to help but it was really cool. They went everywhere from Jordan to Japan to Chile to Ascension Island, I highly recommend even being  at least a decade old its still really good. Anyways one of my favourite places they went to was Cambodia and it kinda put it on the map for me. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Two childhood friends are from Manilla and its such a nice place you'll love it. So hard to believe that they also have one of, if not the most, strictest guys when it comes to drug control and tolerance. 

Yeah, I know quite a few Filipinos, and a family friend now lives there too, so I'm looking forward to it. The nature looks beautiful. 

Ah, Duterte is about to be gone, no? Think he isn't running for the election next year.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

My Fiance is Philippino, her older sister still lives in Manilla as well so Im pretty sure we'll get there at some point. We had a trip semi planned for the beginning of the year with one of my best friends and his family (his wife is Philippino and her family as well) unfortunate we wont really be able to do something like that but eh such is life.

Absolutely what I would expect! there was an old Canadian show called Departures I dont even remember how old it is anymore but it was a couple of Canadian friends that traveled all over the world for nearly 3 straight years. They did off the beat path type things, cultural immersions, they had hookups and friends and friends of friends in alot of countries to help but it was really cool. They went everywhere from Jordan to Japan to Chile to Ascension Island, I highly recommend even being  at least a decade old its still really good. Anyways one of my favourite places they went to was Cambodia and it kinda put it on the map for me. 

That sounds brilliant, I'll have to check it out! :) 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, nudge said:

That sounds brilliant, I'll have to check it out! :) 

Actually they did go to North Korea to funny enough. It was super bizarre to see. They had a fairly strict itinerary that was given to them, kind of showing them what NK wanted to show them so to speak. They did a tour of a water bottle factory for example xD but there was also one of those live theatre type shows.. where there was like 10's of thousands of dancers on stage synchronized and music... hard to explain but it looked amazing. 

I bought the dvd set off their site a long time ago.. think its time to go rewatching. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Actually they did go to North Korea to funny enough. It was super bizarre to see. They had a fairly strict itinerary that was given to them, kind of showing them what NK wanted to show them so to speak. They did a tour of a water bottle factory for example xD but there was alot one of those live theatre type shows.. where there was like 10's of thousands of dancers on stage synchronized and music... hard to explain but it looked amazing. 

I bought the dvd set off their site a long time ago.. think its time to go rewatching. 

I saw a few documentaries on North Korea "tourism" xD 

Just found all three seasons, will give it a go :D Cheers for recommendation!

Filipino's are lovely people, no surprise to see them so high. In my experience the people of Russia were either really nice or fucking mental.

Estonia and Denmark are full of nice people too from my own experience.

Morocco and Turkey are up there on my shit list, full of right weird cunts. Scotland is just full of misery, surprised to see them so high.

Archived