talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 3 Fixtures - 20-21st August, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm not confident for the next 6 games either. And that's worrying for even someone like me xD 

Chelsea A
Man Utd H
Brighton A
Villa H
Spurs A
Forest H

The only games I can envisage getting any points is Man Utd and Villa at home. Even then I'm barely confident of those. We're not winning any of those away, not a chance.

You're definitely more optimistic than I am in general as well and that's how you know it's fucked.

I weirdly fancy us more against Chelsea or Man Utd than I do Brighton. I can see that being a really ugly and miserable afternoon.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well on a happier note we were good yesterday. Once we went a goal down we put our foot on the accelerator and didn't take it off.

Zaha and Eze will be good to watch this season. They were completely in sync yesterday and if Eze keeps playing the quality of passes to Zaha that he has done for the previous two games then Zaha should get 15+ goals this season in what looks like his final season for Palace.

@The Palace Fan I don't really get the complaints about the penalty you had. It's a penalty within the laws of the game. Whether you think it should be or not is a different matter. I dont think it should be a penalty when I player jumps because it is a natural position to have your arms extended but those are the rules. As for your disaload goal. Offside is offside I think. We had a tight goal disaload but it was offside. Yours did seem harsh though as it was hard to see. Looked level. Dont see how they could tell so should give the benefit of doubt to the attacker but maybe they could see an angle we didn't I dont know 

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Strong rumours Rodgers has gone.

100% the right move if so. Proper reflection when it's happened.

Yeah I think it was right to give Rodgers another season as he has done well but it does seem like he doesn't have the same energy and enthusiasm as before. Leicester need to go careful not to become a club that changes manager every season though. Might  become a yo yo club if they do :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@The Palace Fan I don't really get the complaints about the penalty you had. It's a penalty within the laws of the game. Whether you think it should be or not is a different matter. I dont think it should be a penalty when I player jumps because it is a natural position to have your arms extended but those are the rules. As for your disaload goal. Offside is offside I think. We had a tight goal disaload but it was offside. Yours did seem harsh though as it was hard to see. Looked level. Dont see how they could tell so should give the benefit of doubt to the attacker but maybe they could see an angle we didn't I dont know 

Given that was the third game we've played Villa where John Mc Ginn should have been given two yellows I dont think there fans can complain about being hard done by.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

You’ll bounce straight back up though - well within 8-10 years anyway 

This yo-yo period will be remembered for decades, more so than the league and CL wins. 

• The topic was unpinned
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given that was the third game we've played Villa where John Mc Ginn should have been given two yellows I dont think there fans can complain about being hard done by.

Apparently it was a penalty. I dont entirely get the difference between that one and the one in the womens euro final. Perhaps it wasn't a penalty after all and it was the right decision (the euro final I mean)

15 hours ago, Dan said:

Strong rumours Rodgers has gone.

100% the right move if so. Proper reflection when it's happened.

If true, I absolutely think it's the right move. He's evolved a bit since leaving us, but it seems he still has many of the same problems that will always have him being a good coach, but not a great coach. And I definitely think he's not the kind of manager to stick with long term as he gets stale and stubborn.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah I think it was right to give Rodgers another season as he has done well but it does seem like he doesn't have the same energy and enthusiasm as before. Leicester need to go careful not to become a club that changes manager every season though. Might  become a yo yo club if they do :ph34r:

You say change manager every season but he's been here quite a long time over the PL average now - he's been here three and a half years. Only Klopp, Guardiola Hasenhuttl and Frank have been in charge at their clubs longer. I used to be quite anti sackings when I was younger but as I've gotten older and the game has changed a little I think keeping it relatively fresh isn't a bad thing. I've thought for a large part of the last year that he's peaked at Leicester and that while it's obviously been a success it's only going in one direction and the disgrace at Forest was the perfect chance to part ways (even if it did give Forest the satisfaction). We're three games into this season and it's obvious he's never going to turn this around. He's lost the fans and I'm thinking probably the players too - seeing more and more of them contradicting him publicly.

I'm torn between thinking we need to act now to get ahead of Villa and Everton who I think will change managers soon (possibly even West Ham) and thinking late August is a pretty awful time to be looking for somebody. There aren't many obvious candidates but I feel it's getting so sour to a point that simply going with an interim until the World Cup would beat what's happening.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If true, I absolutely think it's the right move. He's evolved a bit since leaving us, but it seems he still has many of the same problems that will always have him being a good coach, but not a great coach. And I definitely think he's not the kind of manager to stick with long term as he gets stale and stubborn.

Somebody made a really good post on Foxestalk the other day about how his massive undoing is generally the human side. Cannot motivate, cannot inspire. He wants a self motivated, experienced squad despite this perception that he's good with younger types of players. It's got me thinking a bit about him. He says it himself in interviews. Given we're a club that when we sell Fofana will hopefully go back to buying a 21-23 year old replacement (bad example given Fofana was an exception to this new rule and more an old style signing of ours) I wonder if he's really not quite the fit for us people think he is.

It's definitely gone stale though. We're three games in and I'm already thinking I'd just take survival if offered it. We look completely awful.

• Subscriber

Sounds like it hasn't happened anyway. Not the first time this kind of rumour has done the rounds.

We're in a really tough position. He needs to go but it doesn't feel a good time to bring somebody in either. I'll say this now though I don't think he wins another league game here. I think Stockport is the only side he'll beat from here and to be honest, I'm not even sure of that either.

Archived