• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Japanese GP - 7th-9th October, 2022

football forum

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Sam Collins on F1TV seems to think Mick is still a rookie saying he led a race "in his debut season." 🙄

Feels more like it's Haas' strategy team debut season. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Also, did anyone see why Leclerc ultimately missed that corner? Just driver error?

Yes. He also said he deserved the penalty. Ferrari wanted to appeal, but now changed their mind.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Also, did anyone see why Leclerc ultimately missed that corner? Just driver error?

Pushing very hard to defend his place. Probably just a miniscule lapse in concentration at the most important time. 

Typical of Ferrari this season. 

I was thinking during the latter parts of the race that it Leclerc was in Max's position - 1st, huge lead, no pressure - he would spin off somewhere or make a costly mistake. 

He just did it in 2nd place instead! 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pushing very hard to defend his place. Probably just a miniscule lapse in concentration at the most important time. 

Typical of Ferrari this season. 

I was thinking during the latter parts of the race that it Leclerc was in Max's position - 1st, huge lead, no pressure - he would spin off somewhere or make a costly mistake. 

He just did it in 2nd place instead! 

It's things like this that make me think Verstappen's main title rival in the coming years will be Russell instead of Leclerc. A less spectacular/likeable driver but more consistent and a more natural leader.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Panflute said:

It's things like this that make me think Verstappen's main title rival in the coming years will be Russell instead of Leclerc. A less spectacular/likeable driver but more consistent and a more natural leader.

I'd like to think Leclerc learns from his mistakes but also Ferrari do, too. Ferrari make more fuck ups than the drivers but either way both have to improve. 

F1 over the next 4/5 years has a great opportunity to make the sport ultra-competitive - if there's Max/Leclerc/Russell as a 3-way title rivalry we'll be in for a treat. If it just becomes Max and the closest rival tailing off halfway through the season it'll just become boring and people lose interest. 

• Subscriber

It's a good job this championship was a matter of when not if with that massive obvious oversight in the scaled points rule. They will fix it next year I'm sure but can you imagine that happened in the last race and decided the title? Jeez.

Well done to Latifi anyway for at least un-memeing his last season in the sport to an extent with those points. Kind of makes up for him not knowing the track layout on Friday. 😂

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's a good job this championship was a matter of when not if with that massive obvious oversight in the scaled points rule. They will fix it next year I'm sure but can you imagine that happened in the last race and decided the title? Jeez.

Well done to Latifi anyway for at least un-memeing his last season in the sport to an extent with those points. Kind of makes up for him not knowing the track layout on Friday. 😂

They seem to fix a lot of things just after Verstappen and Red Bull benefit from them….

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'd like to think Leclerc learns from his mistakes but also Ferrari do, too. Ferrari make more fuck ups than the drivers but either way both have to improve. 

F1 over the next 4/5 years has a great opportunity to make the sport ultra-competitive - if there's Max/Leclerc/Russell as a 3-way title rivalry we'll be in for a treat. If it just becomes Max and the closest rival tailing off halfway through the season it'll just become boring and people lose interest. 

Ferrari are obviously to blame for how quickly their season became uncompetitive, but I don't think Leclerc is without blame either. Part of it is driver error (Miami, France, Imola and now Suzuka come to mind), but also just his general demeanor. He seems much more submissive when interacting with his team than for example Sainz or Russell, even if he has both those drivers beat on pure pace and racecraft.

But this season has showed to me that you really need the complete package both as a team and as a driver if you want to be a champion. Champion drivers like Verstappen and Hamilton can be ruthless when they feel their team let them down, while Leclerc often has this "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed" vibe about him.

Maybe a bit too much armchair psychology here but let's be honest, Leclerc nor Ferrari looked ready for a championship battle this year. Red Bull had the clear pace advantage after the summer break but the fact that the title fight was already over by then is a pure travesty.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived