• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 33 Fixtures - 25-27th April, 2023

football forum

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’m still holding out a small bit of hope of a Newcastle meltdown. Doubtful after that Spurs result though. 

It can happen mate.. look at us after spanking Utd! Didn't win a game in the next four.

Just got this horrible feeling Everton are winning tonight after that 6-1 win Sunday.

The casuals will have written Everton off but I really feel like they are overdue to chuck in one of those 'backs against the wall, soak up pressure and score from virtually one attack' games.

Really need Newcastle not to fold like they did at Villa. I'd like to think with Liverpool hovering they don't take their foot off the gas but we'll see.

First goal will be absolutely crucial I think.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Newcastle can have 9 points off Southampton, Leeds and Leicester. They don't really need to win tonight :ph34r:.

A part of me has genuinely started thinking that it. might be quite nice to be in the Championship. I've seen Everton win 6 games this season and 5 of those have been by a single goal. We've also scored less than 30 goals since August. It's not exactly "fun" and I can't convince myself like I was able to last year that it's a one-off. Unless the ownership and board changes, relegation is a matter of when, not if. At least if we were in the Championship you could actually look forward to games again as we'd score more goals and win more often (provided relegation didn't lead to the very possible financial oblivion). This is where I'm at now xD.

It might work that way for you if you went down but from my personal experience it's not enjoyable and we won the league both seasons we had down there.

There's a lot of games in the Championship and a lot of points to win promotion. What happened to me is we would go into every game needing to win, feeling a bit of satisfaction when we were winning, then the next day you'd just be thinking must win game again next week. Cycle repeated. I didn't find much joy in our time there, hanging over you is how much you need to get out of there before you become one of those clubs stuck for years. 

It's not like when you are exceeding your recent level and you're just buzzing to be where you're sitting. That might be how a promotion year felt for Brentford for example, but not for Newcastle and with that not for Everton.

First relegation was absolutely heart breaking. Gut wrenching. Worst thing to ever happen to me in football. Second relegation just took it in my stride.

3 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Isak, Murphy and Burn rested tonight. Almiron, Wilson and Targett in.

Interesting that Schar passed a late test,  there was talk of Lascelles starting, that or Burn moving to CB and Targett at LB which is now academic.    It looks a good team. 

11 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I believe we have the best training complex in the world and the off field stuff is just next level so yeah, that's going to help but we are not the top spenders on players, far from it (that might change this summer lol) we spending money the right way

You've spent money the right way. That's debatable until you are proven innocent and I'm not accepting loophole victories because that's just getting away with it.

My point was you've spent more as a club, a football club isn't just the players, it's everything. You've spent billions to get where you are now. 

I said it earlier in the thread, clubs are bankrupting themselves to try and compete against a side where money doesn't matter, you don't have that issue, a player doesn't work you can just offload him and not really care about the financial implications.

Kelvin Phillips will prove that this summer.

• Subscriber

Glanced at Twitter for one minute and already can't be arsed with the sensationalism. Apparently we can't afford to lose tonight or we're definitely relegated. Don't get me wrong, it would be a blow, but we'd also still be 2 points from safety with 3 of the bottom eight left to play...

• Subscriber

Godfrey has consistently been shite in the full back positions and I simply cannot understand how many times he's been played there by so many different managers. A shame because Newcastle haven't really threatened aside from that.

• Subscriber

Can't catch a break. Jammy goal from their only proper attack and then offside by the length of a pube at the other end.

Still, if we weren't so shite we wouldn't need any luck to finish above three other teams and simply stay in the division.

11 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

We've been sloppy and aren't coping with Everton press. But you always feel it's a gear off just finishing them off when we go forward.

Be interesting second half.

got to keep the ball better,  been to sloppy. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived