talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2022/23 FINAL - Sevilla (p)1-1 Roma - Wednesday 31st May, 2023

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Stan said:

Whatever you think of Taylor, or Jose, this isn't right. 

I think him getting attacked at the airport while he's with his family isn't okay... but I don't see what's so bad about Mourinho waiting to tell him he's a disgrace tbh.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think him getting attacked at the airport while he's with his family isn't okay... but I don't see what's so bad about Mourinho waiting to tell him he's a disgrace tbh.

One could argue that Mourinho lit the fire and was a catalyst for the fans to act like that in the video. 

The fact he's waited for a significant amount of time just to wait outside and call him a 'fucking disgrace' just doesn't sit right with me. Let alone when we're talking about trying to eliminate the abuse that referees get. He doesn't really set a good example by behaving like that, let alone the actions during the game. 

19 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

It's Anthony Taylor's own fault for being a really shit referee.

He wasn't shit last night though. Nothing he did warranted that kind of behaviour towards him and his family. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

One could argue that Mourinho lit the fire and was a catalyst for the fans to act like that in the video. 

The fact he's waited for a significant amount of time just to wait outside and call him a 'fucking disgrace' just doesn't sit right with me. Let alone when we're talking about trying to eliminate the abuse that referees get. He doesn't really set a good example by behaving like that, let alone the actions during the game. 

He wasn't shit last night though. Nothing he did warranted that kind of behaviour towards him and his family. 

You could argue that... but honestly, I think that's a pretty big stretch. It's AS Roma fans we're talking about - they're generally not well behaved. Am I surprised to see a group of them acting unruly and beyond the pale at an airport after they've lost a final? No not really, they've done a lot worse at a lot smaller matches tbh - that hammer attack that left a fan in a coma wasn't that long ago, and numerous AS Roma fans did what they could to try to protect those responsible from getting identified and investigated. I actually like Roma as a football club, probably a lot of that has to do with Totti as a kid tbh... but there's no doubt in my mind that their fanbase (much like their neighbors Lazio) have a serious problem with their ultras.

I'm all for eliminating the abuse that referees get from fans, like that scene in the airport... but to give them further protection from managers, so a manager can't wait face to face to tell them they're shit at their jobs... I'm not so sure. People say it ripples all the way down to grassroots football, and I'm sure that's true to an extent... but top level referees are afforded more protection than reasonable considering they routinely make massive errors and simply explain them away. If a club is "lucky" they might get an apology - often times they don't even get that.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

but top level referees are afforded more protection than reasonable considering they routinely make massive errors and simply explain them away. If a club is "lucky" they might get an apology - often times they don't even get that.

They make 'regular' errors in fans eyes, or actually by the letter of the law? How many times has Taylor made mistakes this season, for instance? 

On the flip side of what you say, it's behaviour like that from Mourinho which is the precise reason referees don't come out after matches to discuss decisions. I've called for it to give clarity, but if experienced managers can't keep a check in their emotions and wait for them after the game to vent off at them, I'm not surprised they don't do that. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

They make 'regular' errors in fans eyes, or actually by the letter of the law? How many times has Taylor made mistakes this season, for instance? 

On the flip side of what you say, it's behaviour like that from Mourinho which is the precise reason referees don't come out after matches to discuss decisions. I've called for it to give clarity, but if experienced managers can't keep a check in their emotions and wait for them after the game to vent off at them, I'm not surprised they don't do that. 

Are you serious 😂?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Are you serious 😂?

Yeah, I don't recall every decision. I know there's been some howlers by other refs too where apologies have been made by PGMOL. But happy to be enlightened, honestly! 

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Really? They're supposed to be professionals. Example setters.

What happened in the airport is partly but not entirely the result of a culture of players and managers who think it's alright to verbally abuse referees. Even each other. Referees have to turn the other cheek as some player calls them every name under the sun for a decision that is often the correct call.

Football is a pathetic egotistical teenage like sport, epitomised by people like Mourinho. The inability to complain in an adult like manner.

It makes good theatre to some and is often passed off as passion. Yet it is a wholly unnecessary act for the theatre of the game or the display of passion. 

Football wasn't always like this. Life outside of football is rarely like this.

Sometimes we need an outside perspective. I come across people not interested in football who comment on how we are fickle, silly, pathetic, embarrassing, cruel and sometimes vile. 

To be clear I'm not calling for turning every fanbase into Reading FC.

I've been very critical of English referees over the last couple of seasons and its honestly amazing to me that Anthony Taylor has even be considered to referee a match of any significance given I wouldn't even trust him to officiate a game of sleeping lions but to attack a person infront of his family for simply doing his job is bang out of line and Roma should be disqualified from competing in Europe next season to send a clear deterrent to everybody.

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Let's pretend for a second that your own manager didn't stand on the touchline chewing his veneers off and acting like a crack addict who hadn't had his fix for a week when decisions haven't gone his way several times every season. Would you still have the same opinion?

As the head coach he is the focal representative of the club. Whether he likes it or not, the precedent he sets will be followed by his players and fans alike. Everybody is well aware that Roma fans were not expected to win any Mother Theresa awards for there previous conduct prior to this fixture but given the time disparity between Mourinho's outburst and the assault, the link is there and UEFA should act accordingly.

Not that Jose Mourinho would care, it looks PSG are going to give a chance to this 'winner' whose only trophies in the last eight seasons has consisted of winning B and C level European trophies and expect him to somehow improve on what others have failed to do at that club.

9 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Really? They're supposed to be professionals. Example setters.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whether he likes it or not, the precedent he sets will be followed by his players and fans alike.

Maybe people shouldn't expect football managers and players to be the best examples for people to set. They're a bunch of man-children that have tantrums when things don't go their way for the most part. I don't think it's that bad that Mourinho told Taylor he's shit, he is shit - someone needs to tell him and the FA and PMGOL aren't going to ever. Maybe it was cruel to do it in front of TV cameras.

But I'm not having Mourinho being used as an excuse for why AS Roma fans are badly behaved. And I don't even like Mourinho, I think he's a bellend. AS Roma fans are badly behaved because they've gotten away with shit behavior time and time again with no serious punishment. If an English club's fans had done what they've done over the last 10 years, it'd be all over the rest of Europe's media with calls for bans of English clubs from European competition, imo.

Let's not let Roma fans off the hook again by blaming Mourinho's actions for their out of line behavior. How many times do they have to act like this without some sort of excuse for their bad behavior without asking them to take a look at themselves and for their club to actually do something about keeping them in line? Basically every home and away match they have in Europe involves at least a couple stories of how their fans were violent dickheads. This sort of violence isn't new or atypical from them.

Italian football culture has a lot of cleaning up to do, tbh, and I think just pinning their bad behavior on Mourinho is doing Italian football a disservice. This isn't even close to the first time fans of this club have acted poorly in Europe and it's not even close to the first instance of appalling behavior by Italian football fans that needs addressing. And I say this as someone who loves Italy and likes Italian football quite a lot - but Italian football's fan culture has a lot of work to do to be better... with or without Mourinho doing what he's done.

I don’t like the man, but what exactly did Taylor get wrong? Roma players were acting like bellends as usual, and he gave fouls and yellows accordingly. The penalty calls were all correct as well. So let’s not start making any excuses for the reactions, because they are not only unwarranted they were childish.

It’s a game of fucking football, and these bellends are waiting at the airport for him? Mourinho should concentrate on how he and his team failed to produce anything outside of the goal. I hope aroma get kicked out of the Europa for this. UEFA surely need to protect their own man and make an example of these pricks. 

6 hours ago, Rick said:

I don’t like the man, but what exactly did Taylor get wrong? Roma players were acting like bellends as usual, and he gave fouls and yellows accordingly. The penalty calls were all correct as well. So let’s not start making any excuses for the reactions, because they are not only unwarranted they were childish.

It’s a game of fucking football, and these bellends are waiting at the airport for him? Mourinho should concentrate on how he and his team failed to produce anything outside of the goal. I hope aroma get kicked out of the Europa for this. UEFA surely need to protect their own man and make an example of these pricks. 

How could they ban Roma for something that happened at an airport in Hungary? 

17 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

How could they ban Roma for something that happened at an airport in Hungary? 

The behaviour or mourinho, his staff and the players during the match warrants exclusion. They were out of control. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived