Swindon vs Crawley
Walsall vs Grimsby

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

This one will be a good sign of where we're at as a team - we put in a good display against a tough Mansfield side last week but there was definitely room for improvements. Walsall have had a similar start to the season than us so expecting us to get 3 points if we can get our front line working together and being a little smarter on the ball.

No idea what to expect today.

Obviously playing top of the league on their patch and their confidence is high, we've no win yet and it's been very temultuous start to a new season for our club.

But having gone the last two squads not being able to fill a bench and extremely limited, we have Gnonto, Sinisterra and Piroe available today.

Under normal circumstances, they walk into the team but I think Farke being Farke, will reintograte the first two off the bench unless we have any injuries.

Piroe, I'm definitely expecting to start.

Head says 1-1 but a win would be a massive shot in the arm for us.

• Administrator

Maximum points despite performances not being perfect. All you can ask for at this stage.

McAteer with two goals, latter was well taken although keeper got a hand to it.

We were expected to win the first 5 league games. Four down...

Very happy to get off the mark with a win at a team that are riding the wave and will cause several problems for others this season.

It was far from perfect, some absolute shocking, sloppy goals conceded and this simply has to be eradicated and fast. It's beyond embarassing the nature of goals we concede.

But...we've had a lot of negativity to contend with at the club. It's important we take some positives.

Straight away that's why you pay the money for Piroe. Was a menace throughout and scored the type of strikers goal we've missed.

The combination of Sinisterra, Rutter and Gnonto at times was frightening. The quality of that front four has won us the game today and they all grabbed a goal each.

Particularly happy for Rutter whose had to wait ages to break his duck.

Need to act quickly now and bring in decensive aquisitions and another midfield presence. I don't think Farke's going to hack those mistakes much longer and he doesn't seem to mess about.

But this team, if it can stay together, will grow. There are signs there, especially with Ampadu and young Archie Gray, we just need a little patience to let Farke work his stuff.

Edited by Lucas

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

Rowe scored again for Norwich I see. Lad is on fire.

Norwich and Birmingham surprising to see them both near the top.

Middlesbrough having a torrid time.

Birmingham are definitely the surprise package so bar, been very impressive considering their financial issues too.

Still very early though.

42 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Finally got our win, though made very hard work of it and, if it wasn't for a last minute pen, we would have drawn that.

Hopefully this is the start of getting those wins on the board, though away to Ipswich won't be easy, especially as we tend to have a torrid time up there.

Awful late penalty, was it justifiable?   Asking on behalf of my Wednesday supporting relatives in Sheffield.

13 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Awful late penalty, was it justifiable?   Asking on behalf of my Wednesday supporting relatives in Sheffield.

Couldn't quite see as it was at the other end of the field. Was for handball and there didn't seem to be too many complaints from the Wednesday players at the time.

You can tell them that it was Vaulks who handballed it mind. They had him from us.

EDIT: @Lucas, what have your lot done to Drameh?

Read he came on around the 25th minute and subbed off 20 minutes later. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Couldn't quite see as it was at the other end of the field. Was for handball and there didn't seem to be too many complaints from the Wednesday players at the time.

You can tell them that it was Vaulks who handballed it mind. They had him from us.

EDIT: @Lucas, what have your lot done to Drameh?

Read he came on around the 25th minute and subbed off 20 minutes later. 

Just seen the highlights and definitely justifiable. What on earth was he thinking?! 

Teammates just seemed bemused more than anything. 

• Subscriber

This is funny as fuck with these late winners. We were starved of them for years while having them against us what felt like every 5/6 games under Rodgers. Our four games so far have produced 88th, 73rd, 92nd and now 86th minute winners.

Seems to be a real theme forming with our games in that we do finish strongly, we tire teams out and they cave in. I think so many of these teams have got a mental block about playing us already, there's such a perception that we'll walk the league from the outside that they drop off us probably that it more than they ought to, and we keep making it pay.

I do think our performance levels needs to improve, we need to start creating a bit more for me as I do think we've had a very kind set of fixtures so far. But four wins from four - fantastic, the first time we've ever done it. Maresca's already won as many games here as he did at Parma.

Great stuff from McAteer too. I don't think either him or Wanya Marcal are long-term solutions for us, but circumstance has given them minutes so far, and both have them have probably played themselves into bigger roles this season than they were expecting, I see both featuring a bit from the bench and I don't think either would've predicted that this season.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Barely beat a team consisting of freebies and loans. :ph34r:

There's a lot of truth in this. I am giving us quite a bit of benefit of the doubt so far. We're quite fortunate to be on 12 points but that is a measure of the quality within the team, and there is more to come. I'm hoping when Casadei / Yunus are fully integrated we'll step up a gear.

• The topic was unpinned