talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

bit harsh if they get punished for it I think.

Why harsh? Everyone were racing under the same conditions, some managed to do it right, some not. Probably poor communication with the garage.

• Administrator
Just now, nudge said:

Why harsh? Everyone were racing under the same conditions, some managed to do it right, some not. Probably poor communication with the garage.

relying on an automatic system which fails during the race. I know they're pros but it's one more thing to think about on a tough circuit. Maybe depends on how far they were out. If they're a miniscule amount out I think it'd be harsh. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

relying on an automatic system which fails during the race. I know they're pros but it's one more thing to think about on a tough circuit. Maybe depends on how far they were out. If they're a miniscule amount out I think it'd be harsh. 

Yeah I get your point, but then it would also be unfair to those who did all correctly... DRS is stupid anyway.

• Subscriber

Hamilton was very classy after the race with his comments about Vettel and Bottas. It seems that he's finally starting to show some maturity so hopefully that continues and I can bring myself to support him as the British driver for the remainder of his career.

Some people are calling it lucky, maybe it was, and maybe Vettel was unlucky with the safety car. However, Vettel was ahead of Hamilton and he should have taken that instead of a reckless attempt to grab the win that Verstappen would be proud of. If he'd played the percentages he would have won the race when Bottas had his bad luck on the next lap. Instead he gets 4th and costs himself 13 points while handing Hamilton an extra 7 points. Could be decisive in the final standings. I think that move goes to show that he still fears a repeat of last season when Mercedes pulled clear of Ferrari and Hamilton had a flawless second half of the year. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I read that as Hamilton and Mercedes still being in his head despite Ferrari having the best car all weekend.

Like last year, it is surprising to see so many young drivers like Stroll, Hartley, Sainz and Leclerc bring home the points in this sort of race while more experienced drivers shat the bed. Hulkenberg and Grosjean particularly disappointing today, both dropping the car under no significant pressure when it could have been them picking up the podium finish that eventually went to Perez.

McLaren might still be lacking pace but between the team and the drivers they have their heads screwed on and have taken good advantage of some of the early season chaos with significant upgrades to come at the next race too apparently.

Red Bull I don't think I can add to what's been said but it's good to see 8 of the other 9 teams rewarded with points today.

All in all, this is a great circuit. It's horrible to play on the PS4 and that's an accurate reflection of real life. I was actually slightly terrified by Kimis on-board camera at one point during qualifying the way he was throwing the car into blind corners inches away from sharp barriers. Street circuits are absolutely essential in F1 even if some people complain about a lack of overtaking at some of them.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Did you predict him to win in GP Predictor? xD 

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I was so tempted to change but couldn't handle the rage if I did and he won xD. My loyalty pays off! xD

I did ffs

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Poorest lad today :(

Ch80VjJfsO6sEOcGJUZ3mRT7146UjjcECsRn7Cr1

The only reason why he ever had the chance to beat Vettel was the safety car and without the debry from the accident that caused it, he'd not have been in front. 0 points is very harsh though.

Edited by BartraPique1932

5 minutes ago, BartraPique1932 said:

The only reason why he ever had the chance to beat Vettel was the safety car and without the debry from the accident that caused it, he'd not have been in front. 0 points is very harsh though.

He did a great job managing his tyres throughout the race. And even without the safety car, he would have put on Ultra Softs in the last stint, and could have been a great threat to Seb. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

stewards on Verstappen/Ricciardo crash

"Both drivers contributed to the collision," said the statement. "The driver of car 33 [Verstappen] made two moves, both of which were relatively minor.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late.

"It was obvious to the stewards that although the incident had its origins in the moves by car 33, the driver of car 3 also contributed to the incident."

Yeah Ricciardo might have contributed, but nowhere near to the levels that Verstappen did. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Poorest lad today :(

Ch80VjJfsO6sEOcGJUZ3mRT7146UjjcECsRn7Cr1

Don't worry, he'll be fine:

Asked how he would recover from the disappointment, Bottas replied: "Maybe 10 pints of beer and we will be fine! I will get through it - of course you always need to get through difficulties, it is part of racing although at the moment it is very painful."

xD 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

He did a great job managing his tyres throughout the race. And even without the safety car, he would have put on Ultra Softs in the last stint, and could have been a great threat to Seb. 

he would have been 12 seconds behind Vettel. 10 laps to close down 12s and overtake in this street circuit seems unrealistic.

Edited by BartraPique1932

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Driver of the Day, Charles Leclerc?

Yes, deservedly so. Finishing 6th with a Sauber (with a bit of luck) deserves high praise. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Leclerc anyway. Undoubtedly one of the biggest talents in Motor Sports right now. His F2 (formerly GP2) records are astounding. Bigger than Hamilton and Rosberg. 

And after his P6, I had to watch this video again: 

Man what a tragic last few years he has behind him. Yet he keeps on pushing and being positive. I think he's already one of my favourite drivers just because of his history and his personality. 

• Subscriber

That was brilliant today - just so much action, from start to finish there was a battle to watch or an incident to change it up.

Lewis was brilliant in victory - he knew he has snatched one that he didn't deserve, and immediately made this clear with nice comments about Seb and Bottas, he's a really champion, and I think that's why I love him as driver. He knows when he's on top, and he always wants to be the best, so that when he wins and knows it isn't because of his driving but other factors, he isn't satisfied. Compare this to Seb in Australia and you see a difference. 

Who didn't love the Red Bulls racing?! But that crash was inevitable. I actually don't think you can place all the blame on Verstappen, because it isn't an isolated incident. What had gone on between the two of them throughout the race contributed and for that they are equally guilt. DR staying off the brakes for so long, other than being something he's really good at, was a direct consequence of previous actions by the pair imo - was a great battle.

Alonso was superb to get up into 7th. Really felt for Grosjean too because that was a great drive, but let himself down. 

Going to be a great season

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Vettels over the top celebrations after he won due to a safety car 

xD I think Seb acknowledged right away that it was a lucky win. But to be fair, it was nowhere near as lucky as Lewis' win yesterday. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

It was the exact same scenario. 

Well, in Seb's case it was a clever strategy from Ferrari too. Lewis' was just pure luck, or well bad luck from Valtteri's point of view. Vettel overcooking it was his own fault of course. But another lucky factor was that the two Red Bull's weren't in the mix anymore. A lot of could have and would have beens.