talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup

football forum

7 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You were looking forward to Lithuania vs Germany? This way to put it is quite cheeky, since the earliest date both teams could have possibly met would have been the final, so this sentence can be seen as implying Germany would win not only against Latvia in the quarterfinals but also beat the the USA in the semifinals.xD

kuiil-have-spoken.gif

Oooof, we are up against USA tomorrow. What makes me optimistic though is that Dennis Schröder played one of his worst Basketball games ever against Latvia, and we still won, because the rest of the team carried him. So I expect a Dennis Schröder who wants to make amends to his teammates, while they also shine again. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Let me guess: North American bookies? While Germany beating the USA is indeed a surprise, perhaps even a sensation, the other result was to be expected.

You could be right, Canada was about a 5 point favourite with North American bookies.  Plus there were stories about Canada being the most talented team at the tournament.    I don't follow basketball to be honest, only noticed this was going on because Canada's progress made the sports news here. Also with the time difference,  it didn't really get a lot of coverage here.  I also suspect the USA's defeat isn't get much play across the border.  

Edited by Redcanuck

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

lol that's embarassing for the USA. Team full of NBA players should probably be winning this but lol no.

Was it?  I don't recall seeing too many names there that meant anything to me.  I don't exactly follow the NBA that closely though.

• Subscriber

USA doesn't take FIBA World Cup very seriously and the roster shows it; I am sure their team for the Olympics will look very different. I mean, they only finished 7th in the previous World Cup, and only won 2 of the last 6 World Cups... So even if they are always touted as main favourites, this is not that surprising.

Well, they are still all NBA players to be fair. We only have Dennis Schröder, Daniel Theis and the Wagner brothers from the NBA.  In fact, the best player on the field today, was Andreas Obst from Bayern Munich. 

• Upvote 1

The 7 players that played practically all of the minutes for Canada are playing in the NBA.   Not following the NBA, I had to look up who they were and who they play for, but this team was likely the best we could put out.

Edited by Redcanuck

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I don't know, I just assumed so because it's a USA basketball team xD

Yeah I was expecting a "dream team" lineup, but honestly I lost interest in the NBA so these might be the best...I just know them.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Coma said:

Yeah I was expecting a "dream team" lineup, but honestly I lost interest in the NBA so these might be the best...I just know them.

They aren't lol. 

Anyway, Lithuania just lost to Latvia by 35 pts :o

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1