talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Are we going to be playing the youth team against Southampton? Do we even start Kelleher in that match or do we go with Adrian?

Kelleher has to start. I wouldn’t trust Adrian to hold my pint, nevermind start a game of football. Should see a good few young lads in the team, but I hope we aren’t looking to squander this tie. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Kelleher has to start. I wouldn’t trust Adrian to hold my pint, nevermind start a game of football. Should see a good few young lads in the team, but I hope we aren’t looking to squander this tie. 

My thinking is, a decent championship side, which Southampton clearly is as a recently relegated side that's got realistic hopes of promotion is likely to smash a premier league youth side.

Klopp's already said the only players from yesterday he can see starting are the players he subbed on late in the game - so that rules out pretty much every single fit senior player we have available. Including Connor Bradley, who's been brilliant since his breakthrough.

This likely means we send out Kelleher with a group of kids that'll likely get smashed. My worry is we really don't have much indication of when Alisson is back other than after the international break - do we want to risk Kelleher letting in a bunch of goals after his immense performance in the final?

I'd love for us to win everything we can this season, especially because with Klopp anything seems possible, even beating Southampton with kids. But I'd hate to see us fuck over our title chances because the fact we're seriously in the title race, let alone in first, despite the massive rebuild of our midfield is astonishing to me.

Suppose I should just continue to trust in Klopp and enjoy the ride for the rest of the season before he goes and breaks all of our hearts by fucking off.

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Is Endo injured now too? Seen a picture of him earlier in a protective boot. Do we have any midfielders apart from Mac Allister? 🤣

He was in a boot and in crutches after the match but told journos he was fine. Think it’s a wait and see. But yeah if we don’t were stretched very thin.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Are we going to be playing the youth team against Southampton? Do we even start Kelleher in that match or do we go with Adrian?

How many players will you have out for our visit next Sunday? that game could go along way to deciding the title

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

How many players will you have out for our visit next Sunday? that game could go along way to deciding the title

Trent, Alisson and Jota will all definitely be out. Hopefully get a few more back by then. 

17 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Trent, Alisson and Jota will all definitely be out. Hopefully get a few more back by then. 

Interesting. we don't normally do well at your place anyway and haven't been nowhere near our best at any point this season so far so i'm not too optimistic 

City have injuries before Christmas and Liverpool most of this year. I reckon City had their injuries at a better time, the business end of the season is the worse time to get them.

5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

City have injuries before Christmas and Liverpool most of this year. I reckon City had their injuries at a better time, the business end of the season is the worse time to get them.

City lose DeBruyne to injury, they have Foden or Silva to come in. We lose Salah, we have Elliot to play there. I love Harvey, but you can’t compare City having injuries to anybody else. They have two teams in that squad, and both can compete at the highest level. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rick said:

City lose DeBruyne to injury, they have Foden or Silva to come in. We lose Salah, we have Elliot to play there. I love Harvey, but you can’t compare City having injuries to anybody else. They have two teams in that squad, and both can compete at the highest level. 

I may be wrong but even with KDB playing. Don't the other 2 start anyway? I thought Jack and Doku were the ones who both come in. Neither of them are great in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don't think their squad is as deep as you're making out. Plenty of times this season they've had a load of kids on the bench. Elliott is first choice back up for Salah anyway. Jota or Diaz have played there before Elliott when Salah was away

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I think you've kind of used that angle to justify your arguement but I have to disagree with that. In normal circumstances if Salah is out, you have a front three of Jota, Darwin and Diaz. That is strong. Even Gakpo offers great back up across that front three.

What you should really be doing is comparing what eleven City could field if they had the same multiple injuries to key players like you currently have in Allison, Trent, Szoboslai, Salah, Darwin and Jota.

I mean, in normal circumstances, you can easily field two class teams like City can right?

----------------Allison

Trent - VVD - Matip - Robbo

Szoboszlai - Endo - Macallister

-----Salah - Darwin - Diaz

--------------------Kelleher

Bradley - Konate - Gomez - Tsimikas

----Gravenberch - Thiago - Jones

---------Elliott - Gakpo - Jota

Totally accept the absurd amount of injuries to the forward players have hurt you now so the strength in depth looks more precarious but in normal circumstances, you could lose Salah and cope fine, just as in your statement, City can lose KDB and cope fine.

Let's make this fair and compare as close as we can.

If City were missing Ederson (Allison), Walker (Trent), KDB (Szbozslai), Foden (Jota), Haaland (Salah) and Alverez (Darwin), there is no doubt they would struggle as you have.

-------------Ortega

Stones Diaz Ake Akanji

-----Kovacic--Rodri

Silva---Grealish---Doku

------------Bobb

That might not be entirely accurate of how they'd line up but I mean, let's be honest, if you were facing that Man City side, you would carry some genuine hope of beating them.

So lets look at what you could field Sunday.

------------------Kelleher

Bradley - VVD - Konate - Robertson

Macallister - Endo - Gravenberch

---------Elliott - Gakpo - Diaz

Is there a lot between those two examples? I wouldn't say there is substantially.

I think City would get by, much like you have, but would still struggle in the same situation, especially juggling multiple competitions. 

Edited by Lucas

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think their squad is as deep as you're making out. Plenty of times this season they've had a load of kids on the bench. Elliott is first choice back up for Salah anyway. Jota or Diaz have played there before Elliott when Salah was away

@MUFC

Strongest team we can play against you right now would be

Ederson

Walker  Stones  Dias   Ake

De Bruyne Rodri  Foden

Silva  Haaland  Doku

BENCH:-Ortega, Akanji, Gvardiol, Kova, Bobb, Alvarez, Nunes

Edited by Happy Blue

Apparently we're approaching Edwards again to see if he'll come back, for a position higher than Sporting Director.

The man, imo, is a genius for the work he did in his first stint with us. If we get him involved with making signings again, I think that's a great sign for the future under a new manager. But it's a big if, apparently his consultancy firm is doing very well and he's probably making a ridiculous sum of money.

Edwards and Alonso back at Liverpool though would be the ideal way to move forward, imo. Fingers crossed we get both.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Darwin and Szobo could be in the squad tomorrow. Mo likely to be out still though.

I think Klopp confirmed Salah is defo out didn't he? Obviously saving him for next weekend, hopefully he gets some minutes in the Europa game 

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think Klopp confirmed Salah is defo out didn't he? Obviously saving him for next weekend, hopefully he gets some minutes in the Europa game 

Yeah you're right, he did confirm him out.