talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Robertson was dropping back to make it a 3 at times when Trent moved into the middle during parts of games, but it wasn’t the full games. I would like to see it set up like that with Quansah starting alongside Virgil and Konate. Trent and Gomez either side a midfield two of McAllister & Jones if Szoboslai is out for a couple of weeks would make me feel more confident going into the next few games while we are missing Endo. I don’t like the idea of having Harvey in a midfield 3, especially without a proper #6 next to him. 

I hate traditional back 3s, I hope we don't go with one even without Endo.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hate traditional back 3s, I hope we don't go with one even without Endo.

Even if Szoboslai is out? I don’t like the idea of MacAllister as the 6 against Arsenal this weekend. Especially if it ends up being Jones & Harvey either side. That isn’t much protection for that back two. 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the way we play is far off from how sides with a back 3 typically play, imo. And with the way we play, I think there've been times where MacAllister's been alright as a 6 in our system... but I think seeing Endo over the last month highlights how much better our midfield can be with a more natural player in the role.

I think of Juve a decade ago. Trent is your Pirlo, Szob/Macallister your Marchisio/second striker but you are lacking a Vidal. Not necessarily a defensive midfielder as he was more box to box, but someone that can do the destroyer work and tidy up as well as get forward.

18 hours ago, Rick said:

Even if Szoboslai is out? I don’t like the idea of MacAllister as the 6 against Arsenal this weekend. Especially if it ends up being Jones & Harvey either side. That isn’t much protection for that back two. 

Yeah, even if Szoboslai is out. I wouldn't expect us to ever use a traditional back 3 unless we're doing something like trying to hang onto a 1 goal lead with the last 10-15 minutes left. I also think Jones has demonstrated he's pretty well rounded this season - he's improved every aspect of his game, defensively and offensively.

Either way, it's infinitely more protection than the back two was given last season with midfielders that had no legs left chasing shadows while the defense was constantly under pressure. And even then we didn't resort to a back 3 - and I think that's for good reason.

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Oh ffs

Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold has been ruled out for "a few weeks" with a minor knee ligament tear.

Bradley getting a run at RB? I don’t know what else we could do. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Bradley getting a run at RB? I don’t know what else we could do. 

Probably. If it is only a few weeks, it's not the worst time for it to happen with the games spread out a bit more. He'll miss the two semi final games, the FA Cup game, which he might not have played in anyway. Then there's Bournemouth in the league as well. Probably touch and go if he makes it for Chelsea at the end of the month.

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Probably. If it is only a few weeks, it's not the worst time for it to happen with the games spread out a bit more. He'll miss the two semi final games, the FA Cup game, which he might not have played in anyway. Then there's Bournemouth in the league as well. Probably touch and go if he makes it for Chelsea at the end of the month.

I know our Pep said he expects him to be out for 3 weeks, but I think the tear he's got usually keeps players out for about 4 weeks. I doubt he makes the Chelsea match as a result, and I think touch and go if he can make it for the Arsenal match after.

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

That's a quick return for Tsimikas if that proves correct. Didn't think we'd be seeing him until March/April at the earliest

Yeah, for a broken bone that's pretty quick. Although Google tells me for a broken collar bone, it's 6-8 weeks to heal, and end of January's about 6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Van Dijk saying he’s not sure he’ll be here when Klopp leaves. I think there is be a handful of players who leave with him. I’d be surprised if Salah stayed for next season. 

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I think he's given a pretty standard response to a question. Important people don't go overboard based on what are going to be sensationalist headlines.

This is true also.