talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Two matches for calling a ref a fucking joke is a bit ridiculous tbh. If he’d elbowed the ref in the face would it just be one match like the ref that elbowed Robertson?

It isn't ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

No, it isn't. 

I'll never agree with you until we can have one of our players elbow a ref and only get one match out. But since that'll never happen, the least I could expect from referees is consistency of standards within the same match (because, we'll never get consistent refereeing standards in every match - at least not in our lifetimes with the current state of refereeing).

PMGOL can say "well we warned players we'd crack down on dissent" and fair enough, but apply rules consistently. They also said they'd crack down on players waving fake cards around to get players booked - yet in the same match, the ref couldn't be arsed to give Gordon or Joellington yellows. Or Joellington popping off at the officials every chance he got, no caution for that even.

I think a 1 match ban for calling someone ridiculously bad at their job a fucking joke, even if it was one instance where he made the right call in the match, is fine. But 2 matches for calling a guy who is a fucking joke a fucking joke... that's mental.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'll never agree with you until we can have one of our players elbow a ref and only get one match out. But since that'll never happen, the least I could expect from referees is consistency of standards within the same match (because, we'll never get consistent refereeing standards in every match - at least not in our lifetimes with the current state of refereeing).

PMGOL can say "well we warned players we'd crack down on dissent" and fair enough, but apply rules consistently. They also said they'd crack down on players waving fake cards around to get players booked - yet in the same match, the ref couldn't be arsed to give Gordon or Joellington yellows. Or Joellington popping off at the officials every chance he got, no caution for that even.

I think a 1 match ban for calling someone ridiculously bad at their job a fucking joke, even if it was one instance where he made the right call in the match, is fine. But 2 matches for calling a guy who is a fucking joke a fucking joke... that's mental.

It's not ridiculous to get an extra ban for abusing refs when he, as captain, will know the rules are much tighter. 

You're comparing it to something that happened last year or whenever it was. And that's irrelevant because they're two totally different situations. 

Referees are clamping down on abuse of officials because it was getting out of hand. Ridiculously so. The right decision was made. Should other similar decisions have been made? Yes perhaps. But inaction doesn't justify action. Van Dijk should know better. And you know that. 

I agree rules should be covered consistently especially when it comes to abuse of officials. There's no doubt about that. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's not ridiculous to get an extra ban for abusing refs when he, as captain, will know the rules are much tighter. 

You're comparing it to something that happened last year or whenever it was. And that's irrelevant because they're two totally different situations. 

Referees are clamping down on abuse of officials because it was getting out of hand. Ridiculously so. The right decision was made. Should other similar decisions have been made? Yes perhaps. But inaction doesn't justify action. Van Dijk should know better. And you know that. 

I agree rules should be covered consistently especially when it comes to abuse of officials. There's no doubt about that. 

Some honesty and transparency goes a long way to fostering the respect they’re demanding.

But they want to protect their mates rather than do the jobs properly.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some honesty and transparency goes a long way to fostering the respect they’re demanding.

But they want to protect their mates rather than do the jobs properly.

I don't disagree. But that doesn't really change what we're talking about xD

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't disagree. But that doesn't really change what we're talking about xD

Sure it does - I don't think a 2 match ban is justified, a 1 match ban is, a 2 match one isn't. They just want to force players and fans to respect referees. You want extra respect? Earn it. My respect and faith in the referees is at an all time low. I think they've got mic up all top flight officials up at all times & be making yearly financial disclosures to an independent body for me to think they should be treated the way they want to be treated. Oh and punishing referees for violent conduct as though they're players (even though officials demonstrating violent conduct should be subjected to a higher standard, not a lower standard, same as violent police. Because they're authority figures).

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Nat Phillips going to Celtic on loan until January. Never gonna get rid of him are we? 

Tbh after his spell at Bournemouth where he was really good in their promotion run, I was very surprised he didn't get bought by them... or by any clubs of a similar stature. Is he on massive wages or something like that? Honestly, I like him. He's an old school defender and maybe not the best player for a club trying to play "modern football" - but even so, it's not like he's terrible on the ball... he Cruyff turned Ibrahimovich. He'll head away anything that comes near him. I think he'll be very good for Celtic.

Reports are we're keen on signing Ryan Gravenberch from Bayern today. So looks like we're going into the season with decent midfield depth. Not really much depth at the back though.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh after his spell at Bournemouth where he was really good in their promotion run, I was very surprised he didn't get bought by them... or by any clubs of a similar stature. Is he on massive wages or something like that? Honestly, I like him. He's an old school defender and maybe not the best player for a club trying to play "modern football" - but even so, it's not like he's terrible on the ball... he Cruyff turned Ibrahimovich. He'll head away anything that comes near him. I think he'll be very good for Celtic.

Reports are we're keen on signing Ryan Gravenberch from Bayern today. So looks like we're going into the season with decent midfield depth. Not really much depth at the back though.

A quick Google suggests he's on around £65k a week. Ridiculous if true. No wonder no one that's his level will take him permanently or he doesn't want to leave permanently.

Just now, LFCMike said:

A quick Google suggests he's on around £65k a week. Ridiculous if true. No wonder no one that's his level will take him permanently or he doesn't want to leave permanently.

That explains a lot. Mental how he's on so much considering he's never really been a regular. He just ended up being the best CB we had in a period when we'd lost all our CBs and I guess really won out in his contract extension negotiation - fair play to him, I suppose.

Do we think a CB is on the horizon for tomorrow? I very much doubt it, but the back four needs some more quality added into it. They’ve regressed as a unit, even when the midfield is working like mad for them. 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Do we think a CB is on the horizon for tomorrow? I very much doubt it, but the back four needs some more quality added into it. They’ve regressed as a unit, even when the midfield is working like mad for them. 

Nah I doubt it. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

How dare you criticise his transfer @Dr. Gonzo, @Rick, @LFCMadLad, @LFCMike and everyone else. :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66714875

I dont know whats more funnier. The fact that he did this interview or the fact that he thinks people will buy what hes saying. 

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I dont know whats more funnier. The fact that he did this interview or the fact that he thinks people will buy what hes saying. 

"People can believe me or not, but in my life and my career, money has never been a motivation. Ever," he said.

Yeah put me in that "I don't believe you" camp xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The point where he talks about his experience is Qatar is so naive.

He's trying to create a stance that he himself knows doesn't exist. What's odd is that he thinks people will just drink the Kool-Aid and offer him the sympathy he "thinks" he deserves. His comments about Klopp starting the narrative in some places are so weird and totally out of place too.