talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Thanks for sharing that @The Palace Fan, was lovely to watch!

Milner is probably our best free transfer of all time... up there with the best free transfers in Premier league history. 

I'm gutted he's gone! Will be a massive loss around the club.

Edited by LFCMadLad
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Aside from being an important player for us for such a long time… just look at what he brought to the dressing room. Basically a player-coach & someone that pushed the squad as much as he could.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I feel like Liverpool is about to go through some huge squad changes in the next two seasons 

I think so too, and it never had to be like this if we had just freshened up the squad year by year. Now we have to hope numerous players can come in at once and hit the floor running. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I feel like Liverpool is about to go through some huge squad changes in the next two seasons 

We sort of have to. This season we were dogshit for a huge chunk of it - and now we've just seen 4 high earners, 2 of which were key players for us in the Klopp era, leave. The other two were good players, but their injury histories really really hurt us because it was their big wages tied up on the treatment table rather than in our midfield.

Really last season we entered into a new chapter of Klopp's time at the club, with the front 3 that sort of defined the "Klopp era" being broken up with Mane's departure. Then now, losing Milner and Firmino - two big players for us on and off the pitch. This'll probably be Matip's last season with us as well and he's been a big player for us too (and was probably our best defender last season and arguably this season) & we've got a number of key players that are just getting older and closer to ending their time at the club.

It's looking pretty likely that we're signing 2-3 central midfielders and a young left CB - so it looks like more serious steps to plan for how the future of our squad will look are taking place.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We sort of have to. This season we were dogshit for a huge chunk of it - and now we've just seen 4 high earners, 2 of which were key players for us in the Klopp era, leave. The other two were good players, but their injury histories really really hurt us because it was their big wages tied up on the treatment table rather than in our midfield.

Really last season we entered into a new chapter of Klopp's time at the club, with the front 3 that sort of defined the "Klopp era" being broken up with Mane's departure. Then now, losing Milner and Firmino - two big players for us on and off the pitch. This'll probably be Matip's last season with us as well and he's been a big player for us too (and was probably our best defender last season and arguably this season) & we've got a number of key players that are just getting older and closer to ending their time at the club.

It's looking pretty likely that we're signing 2-3 central midfielders and a young left CB - so it looks like more serious steps to plan for how the future of our squad will look are taking place.

It's all too much at once. It's a hard thing to do but the coach and recruitment have to know how to slowly remove and replace the key players. Fergie was a master at it, he kicked out a bunch of those 90s players over a few years, Beckham, Keane, Butt, and Neville, were all replaced over three years. Barcelona is kinda doing a good job of it now, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Alba, Alves, Busquets, Puyol, Suarez, are all gone from the club. They maybe hung on to some too long and others not long enough but they've had huge job replacing those players.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

There's no way you digested all that in four minutes.

You’re right because I couldn’t stomach the tone of the first five posts. xD 
‘True religion must transform the nature of the individual’ get the fuck outta here

• Haha 1

Buy new players to replace old players
Score when in possession

REVOLUTIONARY

The whole thread is acting like the reinvention of the wheel. Musing on what was obvious to coaches in the 70s and 80s like Brian Clough, Ferige,  Wenger, Cruyff, Menotti, probably even earlier with Shankly, Busby, Paisly.   

But every action positive has a negative, that’s why every attacking philosophy is countered and beaten  down by pragmatism, Bilardo, Herrera, Simeone, Revie, Mourinho, then the cycle begins again with positivity beating negativity. 

Control F my posts in this thread and you’ll find me stating in 2020 the exact same observation, because it’s obvious and a reoccurring pattern of the sport. I’ve been saying for years that the best at it was SAF, maintaining dominance, refreshing, and recreating. 

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Carnivore Chris @JoshBRFC how was Tyler Morton on loan with Blackburn last season?

I suspect with Henderson & Fabinho off FSG probably won't sign 2 midfielders to fill the void they'll leave behind, so I imagine he's got a pathway to first team football with us now. Think he'll be able to make the step up as a squad player for us or will he look lost at this level? I think he's played a couple of times for us and didn't look bad when I saw him.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Carnivore Chris @JoshBRFC how was Tyler Morton on loan with Blackburn last season?

I suspect with Henderson & Fabinho off FSG probably won't sign 2 midfielders to fill the void they'll leave behind, so I imagine he's got a pathway to first team football with us now. Think he'll be able to make the step up as a squad player for us or will he look lost at this level? I think he's played a couple of times for us and didn't look bad when I saw him.

Not a big fan to be honest. Prefer the young midfielders we have, eg Adam Wharton who is a class act.

When we had Harvey, his class was clear 90% of the games he played. Can’t see the same amount Morton. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thierry Henry about Stevie G:

“This guy, it pains me to look at him knowing that he didn’t win the league. I’m not saying that to be sarcastic, understand me well,  Stevie G didn’t win the league’, when I say it, it sounds weird.

“That doesn’t change the impact, what he could he transmit, how he used to transcend people, the energy, the aura, the attitude.

“This guy, when he was on form, even when he wasn’t on, he used to try to find a way to motivate people. To get the crowd behind him; to get players that you might have thought were not that great, suddenly because he told them or tackled someone or smashed the ball in from 35 yards, everyone is like, ‘we will follow this guy’.”

“This what I’m saying, it’s not so much about titles, it is  but it’s also about, do you inspire people? What do you transmit? How do you transcend people?”

“When I think about Liverpool, the older generation will give me other names, King Kenny, Ian Rush, but, for me, he is Liverpool

• Upvote 1

r/LiverpoolFC - Bradley set to sign new contract

I assume this is our backup rightback option for the season considering we let the Scottish lad we signed from Aberdeen last year go on loan after his miserable time with injury last season. Doubt we spend more money if we can bring Lavia in, unfortunately. But I do think we're in pretty desperate need of a new CB considering Virgil's not been the same player he was since Pickford decided to try to remove his kneecaps and our other CB options are very very very injury prone.

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, he’s the man for the job. 

Tbh I'd have given it to Robertson over Virgil or Trent because I think they can be a bit sulky when things aren't going their way and I'm not sure that's the best example to set as a captain. But Trent's always going to know what the club means from a fans perspective and will take it seriously and Virgil's respected and has leadership qualities and experience that probably make him the best man for the job.

And I trust that Klopp knows better than I do.