talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

No win in 4, out of both cups, lacking competitiveness, can't stop conceding, floating around mid-table. After the euphoria of past few seasons, it's a huge drop. 

To be honest, I won't laugh at that in front of my Liverpudlian son, he is bigger and younger than me, and I don't fancy a smack in the chops. xD 

• Administrator
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

To be honest, I won't laugh at that in front of my Liverpudlian son, he is bigger and younger than me, and I don't fancy a smack in the chops. xD 

That's good to know. Why does everyone hit you in your family?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think at the time Dalglish possibly had a case for being given another year. Reached both cup finals, winning one. The league finish was awful but a lot of bad luck involved along the way. It started to fall apart when Lucas was out for the season from about January. Gerrard missed half the season through injury too. I seem to remember some ridiculous stat about the amount of times they hit the woodwork that season too. Rodgers coming in after him then had the benefit of Suarez being well on his way to becoming the best in the league.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think at the time Dalglish possibly had a case for being given another year. Reached both cup finals, winning one. The league finish was awful but a lot of bad luck involved along the way. It started to fall apart when Lucas was out for the season from about January. Gerrard missed half the season through injury too. I seem to remember some ridiculous stat about the amount of times they hit the woodwork that season too. Rodgers coming in after him then had the benefit of Suarez being well on his way to becoming the best in the league.

Maybe I am wrong but I think one of the reasons he got the bullet the second time around was because of the Luis Suárez and Patrick Evra (United) racial controversy where Dalgleish stuck up for Suárez, like I said, maybe that was one of the reasons for the sacking but that season he won the League Cup and were runners up in the FA Cup.

Another year would have not done Liverpool any harm but maybe because they finished 8th and no Europe was another reason.

5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Maybe I am wrong but I think one of the reasons he got the bullet the second time around was because of the Luis Suárez and Patrick Evra (United) racial controversy where Dalgleish stuck up for Suárez, like I said, maybe that was one of the reasons for the sacking but that season he won the League Cup and were runners up in the FA Cup.

Another year would have not done Liverpool any harm but maybe because they finished 8th and no Europe was another reason.

Yeah you're probably right, certainly didn't help his case.

If Arthur Melo comes into the side and actually looks class I would be so surprised, but so happy. Cos fuck me, I can't wait until we have a functional midfield again so I'm having to put my hopes in the gonorrhea-boy that Juve fans were delighted to see the back of.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Arthur was good enough at one point for Barcelona to want him, so hoping we see that version of him rather than this current party boy. Knowing our luck it’ll be the latter. 

Didn't Barca want him during their crack smoking era though? Like where they signed Coutinho and Griezmann even though they had Messi playing in their preferred positions of the pitch and... he was Messi.

I'm not sure I'd consider their recruitment during that period to be particularly sound tbh.

• Haha 1

Some of our more reliable journos have suggested we're seriously interested in making a move for Mount. Thoughts @Cicero & @Bluewolf? I've always thought he was kind of just like a low budget Lampard but with that same big game mentality... at least up until this season. I'm not sure how well he'd really fit us in that midfield 3 that Klopp likes to play and is unlikely to shift from. Not that I think he's a bad player or anything... just think he'd probably be asking for a lot in wages and if there is a transfer fee (is his contract expiring, I wouldn't have thought so) it'll probably be an absurd amount.

But I think it's also a sign that the hopes for us signing any of our top choice midfielders from last summer are dead and buried, unfortunately. But I think regardless, the rest of the footballing world has to know we're desperate for midfielders after this season... so I don't see any scenario where we're not paying over the odds for midfielders, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some of our more reliable journos have suggested we're seriously interested in making a move for Mount. Thoughts @Cicero & @Bluewolf? I've always thought he was kind of just like a low budget Lampard but with that same big game mentality... at least up until this season. I'm not sure how well he'd really fit us in that midfield 3 that Klopp likes to play and is unlikely to shift from. Not that I think he's a bad player or anything... just think he'd probably be asking for a lot in wages and if there is a transfer fee (is his contract expiring, I wouldn't have thought so) it'll probably be an absurd amount.

But I think it's also a sign that the hopes for us signing any of our top choice midfielders from last summer are dead and buried, unfortunately. But I think regardless, the rest of the footballing world has to know we're desperate for midfielders after this season... so I don't see any scenario where we're not paying over the odds for midfielders, unfortunately.

I've come to the realisation over the past couple of years that Mount's best position is at wing. He doesn't really have the tactical sense to play in midfield positioning wise. Doesn't have the creative metrics or technical ability to play as an attacking midfielder. He excels playing through the right channel where he can genuinely roam about. That's what he loves and that where he is the most useful. He's acted as that link between midfield and attack over the years, and with better quality now being added to midfield and attack, his value is diminishing. I'd like him to stay and be given a Damien Duff kind of role where he can be an important player in certain matches. 

I think he re-signs personally. He doesn't have any leverage to be honest. I doubt Liverpool will better whatever offer we are currently proposing to him, and I doubt we sell an academy product to a rival. Any other options will be a backwards step imo. 

25 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I've come to the realisation over the past couple of years that Mount's best position is at wing. He doesn't really have the tactical sense to play in midfield positioning wise. Doesn't have the creative metrics or technical ability to play as an attacking midfielder. He excels playing through the right channel where he can genuinely roam about. That's what he loves and that where he is the most useful. He's acted as that link between midfield and attack over the years, and with better quality now being added to midfield and attack, his value is diminishing. I'd like him to stay and be given a Damien Duff kind of role where he can be an important player in certain matches. 

I think he re-signs personally. He doesn't have any leverage to be honest. I doubt Liverpool will better whatever offer we are currently proposing to him, and I doubt we sell an academy product to a rival. Any other options will be a backwards step imo. 

Doesn’t sound like a good fit for us tbh

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

With him stalling over a contract it's inevitable that others will see the opportunity to swoop in and someone close might try and spin that to him as a positive in the negotiations but I couldn't see him performing any better than he does for us anywhere else.. For me he is limited, a good solid player but lacking any real improvement in recent seasons, He still makes bad choices, poor passes and his goal scoring contribution/assists leaves a lot to be desired I would have hoped given his game time he would have improved those aspects of his game by now.. 

There is a lot I like about Mount but it's like he is either playing within himself and not pushing himself enough or he has in fact reached his limit. Getting picked as a regular has probably given him the impression he is almost un-droppable and in the games played department he is certainly worth more than the alleged 80K he is currently on but trying to push for 300K and upward as is being reported is just silly.. You would need to have Eden Hazard/Frank Lampard levels of skill and performance to be demanding that much a week. 

I have to agree with Cicero on the new recruits observation as well, Once these players start gelling together I think his contributions may lessen as he will look a step behind everyone else and although he has very much looked the promising part with the old squad he may well seem a little out of place with the new.. I hope the new arrivals will inspire him to do better if he indeed has it in him, The Oscar similarity is pretty accurate, capable of great moments here and there but not anywhere consistent enough with them across the course of the season... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

He really is another Oscar. 

Jack of all trades, master of none. Just about finding the best use for him. 

Players like that can be useful though. Milner looks on his last legs now, but he’s been a very important squad player for us with his ability to be a Jack of all trades & slotting in wherever he’s been needed. For me though Mount doesn’t seem to be as versatile as Milner imo. But Mount’s still quite young too.

On 14/02/2023 at 17:56, Dr. Gonzo said:

Players like that can be useful though. Milner looks on his last legs now, but he’s been a very important squad player for us with his ability to be a Jack of all trades & slotting in wherever he’s been needed. For me though Mount doesn’t seem to be as versatile as Milner imo. But Mount’s still quite young too.

Just an example of Mount on yesterdays performance... 

He completed just 6 of his 11 attempted passes and had only 22 touches in 64 minutes.. He also lost 87.5% of his duels 7/8 and contributed nothing defensively the whole match.. You can't really sit down and try and negotiate a huge salary hike based on those kind of stats.. Having said that he was on the left and it's clearly not his strength.. 

• Upvote 2