talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bristol City Sack Nigel Pearson

• Subscriber

Been brewing for a while with plenty of discontent from him, out of contract in the summer so it felt inevitable really. It's just never really gotten going. Don't think they have a great squad at all but it hasn't really worked either. They've been ticking over more than threatening anything serious.

Their fans do seem to be blaming the chairman and they think it's linked to Pearson digging him out after the Coventry game.

It's never happened for him outside of Leicester really. Steady jobs but nothing to write about. Needs his team of Shakespeare and Walsh. Will never not be grateful for how he fixed two messes here in three years, neither of which his doing, the former the worst position we have ever been in as well as being the one to end our longest ever spell outside the top flight. Despite this though you do feel like his time has probably passed.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Probably putting two and two together to get five, but wonder if he'll be considered as QPR manager.

I think he'll take a break now to be honest. He's had health problems in the last 12 months and it wouldn't surprise me if he now takes some time out.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Stan said:

Didn't get on with the owners by the sounds of it. Loads of Bristol City fans on their forum are livid

Yeah like I said it's a mixed response. Bristol city fans are very patient compared to a lot of clubs. I think he may have been told he would have more to spend this season due to financial fair play resetting or something. Lansdown isn't very popular with fans. Also I've worked at Ashton Gate before and people who have met him have said he's a massive twat.

Edited by Gunnersaurus

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Probably putting two and two together to get five, but wonder if he'll be considered as QPR manager.

I think there's a quite good chance he retires to be honest.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah like I said it's a mixed response. Bristol city fans are very patient compared to a lot of clubs. I think he may have been told he would have more to spend this season due to financial fair play resetting or something. Lansdown isn't very popular with fans. Also I've worked at Ashton Gate before and people who have met him have said he's a massive twat.

They are, I've thought this myself, I thought they'd be a lot harder on him than they have been and they seem to have quite bought into him. They definitely consider Lansdown the bigger issue here and I'm not just saying that because I like Pearson.

All that money taken in for Alex Scott and they still operate like they're a Rotherham or a Barnsley.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

All that money taken in for Alex Scott and they still operate like they're a Rotherham or a Barnsley.

That's a bit of a stretch. They spent over 5m in the summer on Rob Dickie, Ross McCrorie and Jason Knight. Not to mention prized two of Luton's best players previously in Naismith and Cornick.

---

I do have a degree of sympathy for Pearson in this circumstance because they have had a pretty bulky injury list and that middle pack is still very tight. I get why he isn't happy about the contract situation, but if I was Lansdown I wouldn't consider a new contract until February at the earliest anyway.

I don't think his stock has been affected by this. He's shown he can reduce costs significantly whilst improving several young players in the modern era if given time. If I'm a club in the bottom half of The Championship on the brink of FFP with a real danger of slipping down, I'm considering Nigel Pearson.

Got a whiff of Lampard about this one.

A medium-sized club in the division, good infrastructure, bit of money behind them (which they'd likely use more to support Lampard than Pearson) and the chance to bring in a 'name' that would attract talent to the club.

They probably would look at him and think he could emukate something a little like what he did at Derby.

If Lampard is to ever make it, this is probably the level he needs a couple years to operate at before he thinks about a PL job again.

Could really see it happening but I guess a lot depends on John Eustace, he seems the man in demand at the moment amongst a few. Millwall and QPR are obviously in the market too.

On 02/11/2023 at 13:36, Lucas said:

Got a whiff of Lampard about this one.

A medium-sized club in the division, good infrastructure, bit of money behind them (which they'd likely use more to support Lampard than Pearson) and the chance to bring in a 'name' that would attract talent to the club.

They probably would look at him and think he could emukate something a little like what he did at Derby.

If Lampard is to ever make it, this is probably the level he needs a couple years to operate at before he thinks about a PL job again.

Could really see it happening but I guess a lot depends on John Eustace, he seems the man in demand at the moment amongst a few. Millwall and QPR are obviously in the market too.

I think the jury is still out on lampard a bit. I mean he has picked some jobs at a terrible time.  First year did well at Derby. The first year he did OK at Chelsea. The second year was bad fair enough. Everton had been in a bit of a mess for a few years when he got there. And @RandoEFC said they were still in a terrible mess from when benitez was there.  Admittedly he did a bad job but he is going down a level if he goes to city. Then he had his interim spell at chelsea but their season was already over by then.  Admittedly it is a bad CV but might be worth a shot for a mid table championship club. Personally I don't think he would do well. But I could understand a chairman giving him a go 

• 1 month later...