talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Teams with the highest % of minutes by academy players in Europe's Big 5 Leagues

football forum

Las Palmas surprised me for a second then I remembered a lot of Spanish players leave for the mainland early from the canaries. I do wonder what criteria they take. If they spend more time in their youths or if they just debut there. I say this cos my current job is in Peruvian youth football and we tend to have the concepts for "club he developed and gets formation rights" vs "club where we prepare the players for their debut".

The one I wasn't expecting at all was Freiburg. Fair play.

On 23/11/2023 at 02:35, Goku de la Boca said:

Las Palmas are responsible for Pedri. Really begs the question which one is taken into account here.

There is 0% chance that anyone considers Pedri a Barcelona academy player, it isn't even a question. He is barely even a Las Palmas graduate, he was only there for two years.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

On 22/11/2023 at 23:46, Danny said:

Unsurprising. Feel like Real and Barce probably wouldnt be as high if they didnt take into account academy players they steal from other academies

Neither would Athletic Bilbao if they didn't take loads of players from basque clubs(they also steal players from Osasuna, who are also on the list), it's no different in their case. In fact, they are the worst ones for it as they pretty much depend on this due to their policy. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris

On 23/11/2023 at 01:33, Tommy said:

mtlp2ih83y1c1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&

do you have the link,  what is the methodology used,  do they mean academy players that started at the club or can it include players bought who are under a set age?

I am not surprised about Athletic Bilboa, If they are still called that,  they can only play Basque players limiting the pool of outside players,  Lyon have always been good at development,  most of those clubs on the list are not very surprising.