Saturday 2nd December, 2023
Northampton vs Portsmouth

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

We usually always win here but I feel like we're heading for trouble this time. They're on the up and we're playing badly. 1-0 loss.

And I think Vardy won't play after playing the 90 last night. 

Hopefully comes on a sub to score in his winning corner. 

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Stan said:

And I think Vardy won't play after playing the 90 last night. 

Hopefully comes on a sub to score in his winning corner. 

I know it sounds sacrilegious to say it but Vardy cannot start games anymore. Even against the weaker sides he's just a complete passenger. The problem is Iheanacho isn't playing any better either, Cannon is totally untested for us (wrongly I'd say at this point) and he clearly isn't having Daka. It is genuinely hard to know who to start up front. I think he wants a false nine type of player. Well despite improving technically over the years Vardy will never be effective playing that way and Iheanacho is so inconsistent on his own too, it's a bit of a problem.

Vardy in theory should be a great sub to bring on. I've been banging the Vardy sub drum for well over a year now. I think the last two games totally vindicates this.

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Stan said:

What's going on with Preston? 

Bad from them, or much better from QPR? 

The same bloke who had Cheltenham to nil last week went for QPR -1 tonight. Unreal work.

I've said before about doing away with the 12:30 Premier League games but I'd happily see the back of the 12:30 Championship ones too.

Zero atmosphere at West Brom today. Don't really get it, place should be bouncing as it borders on a derby.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've said before about doing away with the 12:30 Premier League games but I'd happily see the back of the 12:30 Championship ones too.

Zero atmosphere at West Brom today. Don't really get it, place should be bouncing as it borders on a derby.

Yeah I wouldn't be averse to it either. Especially when clubs play on Wednesday evening too. Not even saying it cos we played then as well, but I do find it odd with the scheduling that that is allowed or can happen. 

Much rather have a Saturday evening or extra Sunday slot if it was possible. 

• Administrator

Tactical battle today against WBA. 

Both sides have hit the post but their chance was probably better. We should really be scoring with the position Iheanacho got in to. We really are lacking that clinical and prolific edge when we reach the opposition box. Not just today either. It seems to be a regular problem. 

Think this game will only be won by one goal. Today isn't the first time we've been caught short at the back trying to play out the back. It will cost us again like it has once or twice this season. We should be doing better and really need to be more effective when we do get an opportunity to score or create a real threat. 

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

Tactical battle today against WBA. 

Both sides have hit the post but their chance was probably better. We should really be scoring with the position Iheanacho got in to. We really are lacking that clinical and prolific edge when we reach the opposition box. Not just today either. It seems to be a regular problem. 

Think this game will only be won by one goal. Today isn't the first time we've been caught short at the back trying to play out the back. It will cost us again like it has once or twice this season. We should be doing better and really need to be more effective when we do get an opportunity to score or create a real threat. 

I've not seen you loads but watching so far, I feel like you're a a bit slow to build up an attack. Feels like when a team sits in against you, you need someone to up the tempo a bit.

I think a Number 10 to go behind the striker in your system would help that. Winks, Ndidi and Dewsbury-Hall seems a bit overkill.

You definitely could benefit from a bit more variety to your play. It's a bit predictable but then I don't think you look in too much danger of conceding either.

West Brom look a bit toothless to me. Solid but they have only looked a threat from set pieces or Leicester playing into trouble.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've not seen you loads but watching so far, I feel like you're a a bit slow to build up an attack. Feels like when a team sits in against you, you need someone to up the tempo a bit.

I think a Number 10 to go behind the striker in your system would help that. Winks, Ndidi and Dewsbury-Hall seems a bit overkill.

You definitely could benefit from a bit more variety to your play. It's a bit predictable but then I don't think you look in too much danger of conceding either.

West Brom look a bit toothless to me. Solid but they have only looked a threat from set pieces or Leicester playing into trouble.

Yeah that creativity is missing. Especially if Dewsbury-Hall has an off day then there's not enough around him to compensate. 

And as I say that he scores xD

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It's certainly very early for a crowd to be properly excited & up for a football match.

Derbies could be a bit unique in the west. There's only ever a few that feel like proper derbies. Villa-Birmingham (Birmingham) & West Brom-Wolves (Black Country) And doesn't really have quite the same vibe when they're mixed up. While Walsall are a lower league friend of Villa. There is still a bit of an anti-Villa or better Villa than that lot sort of thing that unifies some of the west. Coventry are not really paired with anyone. The club's from the east have a very Coventry feel to most fans of the west. Not sure if it's the same the other way around.

• Administrator
Just now, Lucas said:

Absolute kamikaze from West Brom there. No idea what they were trying to achieve 4mins into added time with that corner but they've absolutely thrown that.

I said the same to my brother after the celebrations. What are they doing xD 

Full props for going for the win, but at least leave some cover! Anyway, no complaints from me. Will take the Winks winner all day long. I was livid with the team/tactics after we went 1 up. We have a real propensity to just rest on our laurels and relax a bit too much. Mentally it just gives the team chasing a bit of an edge to get an equaliser. Don't mind doing it at 2-0 or 3-0 up. But 1-0 up is too risky. Have to find that balance of control and chasing the 2nd again. 

Think Vestergaard had a good game. Unlucky not to have an assist with the ball to Iheanacho, and then the header right at the end that led to the Winks goal was perfect. 

Keeping that buffer not only between us and Leeds but also Ipswich is so handy. Puts the pressure back on them. I know top 2 is the goal but with the start we've had we have to be looking at cementing 1st into this run of fixtures. 

Fatawu really made the difference and changed the game; allowed Ndidi to get forward a bit more as McAteer just wasn't seeing enough of the ball.

Iheanacho is probably the only downside these days. He just seems uninterested and nowhere near looking like regaining any form. Would really like to see Cannon play and see what he has to offer.

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

@6666, can your lot recall Runarsson back please?

He's only played a couple of games, but doesn't fill me with confidence at all at the back. I'm guessing your lot want him to play so many games, as Alnwick was dropped for no reason.

Bulut knows best. If he's who he wants as number 1, then Cardiff City should be looking to make Runarsson stay permanent.