talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chilean Superstar Ben Brereton-Diaz Returns to England

Google the phrase “lingua franca” - Spanish speakers and English speakers both have a massive benefit understanding each other worldwide.

That’s really got fuck all to do with whether people learn languages or not.

[Insert gif of a player that’s better than Pookaku]

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Google the phrase “lingua franca” - Spanish speakers and English speakers both have a massive benefit understanding each other worldwide.

That’s really got fuck all to do with whether people learn languages or not.

[Insert gif of a player that’s better than Pookaku]

That explains why so many non immigrants know German or Dutch in the UK, Canada and the USA

(inserts Lukaku PNG) (definitely wasn’t a gif) 

8 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Footballers are massive liars. I won't believe it until I see it. Actions speak louder than words.

I've been fortunate enough through work to meet a fair number of people in football and the large majority of people have been kind and give up far more of there free time to good causes than people would realise. They're certainly not 'massive liars'.

Maybe you should stereotype a field of people that you don't know?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I've been fortunate enough through work to meet a fair number of people in football and the large majority of people have been kind and give up far more of there free time to good causes than people would realise. They're certainly not 'massive liars'.

Maybe you should stereotype a field of people that you don't know?

I work in football, I can guarantee you that you're being naive. There is a thing called "speaking politically". It doesn't only happen in football, people like Elon Musk do it as well.

If you don't want to believe that, then that's fine but I do think you're being naive. I am not an agent but I know people who struggle with it as there are so, so many unhonest people in football.

Also, being kind doesn't mean that you don't lie in a political sense. I love the people I work around, but I know a lot of people with bad experiences because of unresolved promises and because they've been lied to.

Don't even try to lecture me on something I live through day to day and is my specialty. @The Palace Fan, if you're going to try and put me in my place, please be smart about it. I am not an idiot.

1 hour ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Also @The Palace Fan if you're going to laugh at my posts because "you don't believe it" don't even bother, because I'll just send you proof of what I do. Don't even attempt it. Don't pick a fight you cannot win.

Feel free. I'd love to know how many elite footballers in England you've worked with that have led you to the conclusion that they're 'massive liars' so the England captain must be one.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hilarious meltdowns aside, do we think he’s going to be able to help Sheffield United or are they just hopelessly limping toward relegation.

I think they'll have more punch now. They don't lack effort but they lack quality after losing Berge and N'Diaye. At least this is a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Feel free. I'd love to know how many elite footballers in England you've worked with that have led you to the conclusion that they're 'massive liars' so the England captain must be one.

In England, I haven't worked with much. I have however worked with agents, players and directors in every single continent on the planet, and the number is not low.

I can't believe I have to fucking explain this, but footballers are media trained. They can't say everything they want to and need to be political. Perhaps I was a little harsh on the "massive liars" but I was being provoked from all corners so I had a bit of an overreaction.

I said this in the discord but you're extremely thick to treat me as a fool. I never once said that all footballers are liars. In person there are plenty of honest people, and I work with a lot of honest people at my current job, but there are many horror stories of careers ending because of false promises or director meddling. Also to add on top of the media training.

To say I am stereotyping is bollocks. I am not an idiot, I literally work with so many people in this industry to tell you that you're being naive.

• Haha 1

I also said this in the discord but nobody respects the people working in football. This is not a victimization attempt, rather trying to put you in my shoes. Everytime I look at social media you'd think every director on the planet is shite.

Yet those people don't have a clue how difficult the logistics to a transfer is. We have to work silently and cannot go out to explain why we couldn't manage to sign your favourite player, and in case we do we have to be political. That is what media training is. Obviously the word "lying" is strong, I prefer the word "political", but to many people believe what is said in press conferences. It's not easy at all to get juicy and truthful information.

Perhaps I wouldn't have overreacted as much if you didn't claim I was "stereotyping".

• Administrator

Didn't know you were so arrogant, Brian. 

It's fine for other people to have experiences other than yours. 

Stop being so self-centred and obnoxious. 

Just now, Stan said:

Didn't know you were so arrogant, Brian. 

It's fine for other people to have experiences other than yours. 

Stop being so self-centred and obnoxious. 

I know.

I wouldn't have attacked him if he didn't clearly try to provoke me. Also, I am not saying "I'm better cos I work in this". It's more a self defence as I know what goes behind the scenes in the sport, and the point he made had nothing to do with LFCMikes original point which was a press conference. is Kane learning German? I think it's extremely likely he is, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't and much less if he doesn't end up learning it fluently.

Point is, I'm not the one being arrogant here.

Also let me put it bluntly - just because I work in football does not mean my opinion is the word of god. It's an interpretation sport and everyone can have their own views, however to claim I am stereotyping and don't know a thing is still disrespectful, and much different than giving an opinion on a player or believing a manager is better than the other.

There are so many unhonest people in football and I know this because I work in the sport. That's not arrogance, this is my own knowledge from what I work with day to day. At the moment I work with extremely honest people but I've worked with hugely unhonest people in the past. Just FYI, the term "working" does not mean paid. I get paid by honest people but I still have to work with other informal academies and so many yes-men in other parts of the world.

Just throwing that out there so people do not think I'm putting a "you peasant" mentality. That is not the case at all.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh that’s a relief

I am not arrogant. I am confident, which is different. I just disagree with the way he criticized me when I know exactly what goes behind the curtains. Very different to giving an opinion on a game or a player. That is the beauty of watching football. When conspiracy theories get thrown around that's when I take issue.

For the record, that is not what The Palace Fan was doing. He was however, generalizing.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Also, I am not saying "I'm better cos I work in this".

You literally called TPF naive because you said you work in football. It implies you know more than him. When it may not be the case. Just because you work with a select group of people doesn't mean everyone is like that. Therefore, you've generalised and also put across that you think you know a lot more and put someone else down because of it. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

You literally called TPF naive because you said you work in football. It implies you know more than him. When it may not be the case. Just because you work with a select group of people doesn't mean everyone is like that. Therefore, you've generalised and also put across that you think you know a lot more and put someone else down because of it. 

Did you read what I said though?

He is naive to think that because it was extremely generalized. He made that post trying to belittle me as if I don't know what I am saying and criticized me for it literally forgetting I work in this and know what goes behind the curtains. That isn't arrogance. Or are you going to call a vaccine scientist arrogant for being told by an anti-vaxxers that the vaccines don't work because in their experience they still got the Flu or COVID.

Now that said, I am also generalizing. I don't doubt that for a minute, but the difference is I work in this and have worked with a bigger sample size. That means I have greater experience in this say. Believe me that does not mean you are not allowed to have an opinion, even on this specific topic, but you're calling me arrogant for telling him my experiences in a day to day schedule and that he shouldn't have made me out as a fool.

Edited by Goku de la Boca

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Now that said, I am also generalizing. I don't doubt that for a minute, but the difference is I work in this and have worked with a bigger sample size. That means I have greater experience in this say. Believe me that does not mean you are not allowed to have an opinion, even on this specific topic, but you're calling me arrogant for telling him my experiences in a day to day schedule and that he shouldn't have made me out as a fool

How do you know you've worked with a bigger sample size. You don't even know what TPF does for work? You think you know it all. 

You make it sound like others aren't allowed opinions though. Someone puts a differing view to you and you become all high and mighty (a.k.a arrogant or condescending). You struggle to accept others have a different perspective. 

Just now, Stan said:

How do you know you've worked with a bigger sample size. You don't even know what TPF does for work? You think you know it all. 

You make it sound like others aren't allowed opinions though. Someone puts a differing view to you and you become all high and mighty (a.k.a arrogant or condescending). You struggle to accept others have a different perspective. 

I am not arrogant like I said. I am confident, big difference.

And I know I have a bigger sample size because TPF does not work in football and I can tell in the way he said he was fortunate enough to meet figures in the sport. I get paid to do this and have to talk to many figures daily. Earlier today I was talking to a Latvian club director so this isn't simply just condensed within a bubble. 

I don't have the opinion of god but I know that I was responding to LFCMike and claimed footballers are "massive liars" which is a harsh way of putting it but a lot of players are tricky to handle. I've heard so many stories from agents and have some personal bad experiences myself. In the press, they are definitely more political.

No need to belittle my profession. There is a difference between something you can interpret (game opinions, player abilities, etc) and something you have to theorize or generalize. 

Also, regarding the "I struggle to accept others", this is something you've said a lot throughout the forum but you have conveniently ignored the times when I said "I am no expert on this and have given a casual opinion that I'm allowed to have". You do know I don't HAVE to agree with you right? In the other thread I did not insult anyone for their opinion, or even criticize. I just abrasively disagreed. In this thread I was annoyed at the disrespect I received because apparently I was "stereotyping" and that pissed me off.