talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chilean Superstar Ben Brereton-Diaz Returns to England

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Hattie on debut, these South-America magicians typically do well when they first arrive in England. Hope he knows English!

I know this is sarcasm but he doesn't know a word of Spanish, and he just has to learn it in the most slang derived and fastest speaking hispanic country there is :4_joy:

7 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I know this is sarcasm but he doesn't know a word of Spanish, and he just has to learn it in the most slang derived and fastest speaking hispanic country there is :4_joy:

He lived in Spain for over six months, I’m sure he knows a little.

• Administrator

Can you only learn a language if you live in a country that has that language as its main one? 

Or could he have learnt some while he was in Blackburn? 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can you only learn a language if you live in a country that has that language as its main one? 

Or could he have learnt some while he was in Blackburn? 

Anglophones are spoilt, this is pretty much a given. No one says you can't learn another language but most anglophones don't need to, especially in Europe.

That said, I do believe Brereton has probably learnt a bit more by now.

Edited by Goku de la Boca

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Anglophones are spoilt, this is pretty much a given. No one says you can't learn another language but most anglophones don't need to, especially in Europe.

The bottom paragraph is my main point. 

17 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Yes just like that famous anglophone Carlos Tevez who couldn’t be arsed to learn a word of English despite playing here for however long

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes just like that famous anglophone Carlos Tevez who couldn’t be arsed to learn a word of English despite playing here for however long

Generalized example. English proficiency in Argentina is actually very good. 

That said, I do believe people from Latin based countries struggle with English more. Even in Spain, Italy. I can't imagine the proficiency is too bad but its not as strong as in Germany or the Scandinavian countries.

58 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Generalized example. English proficiency in Argentina is actually very good. 

That said, I do believe people from Latin based countries struggle with English more. Even in Spain, Italy. I can't imagine the proficiency is too bad but its not as strong as in Germany or the Scandinavian countries.

Footballers are mostly thick as fuck mate, there’s countless examples of players that never really learned the languages of places they played for a long time.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Footballers are mostly thick as fuck mate, there’s countless examples of players that never really learned the languages of places they played for a long time.

I think the Europeans manage it better. Beckham ended up learning some Spanish. Then there's Kane who probably won't learn a word of German since you don't really need to in Germany from my perception.

There's a lot of South Americans who do learn it but then forget. Suarez is the best example. His English surprised me, but then I heard a new clip a few years after he left Liverpool and it was terrible.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Then there's Kane who probably won't learn a word of German since you don't really need to in Germany from my perception

But he might want to integrate in the culture and learn the language anyway? 

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

You don't know that nor do I. Point is he doesn't have to I don't think.

But you said he won't learn a word of German. Just because he's an Anglophone presumably? 

Stereotyping? 

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

But you said he won't learn a word of German. Just because he's an Anglophone presumably? 

Stereotyping? 

If he's there in the long term fair enough, but in the short term I don't see it. Even if he was a Spanish speaker I'd say the same, but my point about anglophones is still accurate. You see most Germans, Scandinavians, and even Argentinians know 2 languages straight at home. You do not see the same with English homegrowns.

Edited by Goku de la Boca

19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm pretty sure Kane did a post match interview after Bayern played at Old Trafford and said he was learning German 

Footballers are massive liars. I won't believe it until I see it. Actions speak louder than words.

I hope I'm wrong mind you but I can only see it if he stays long enough for it to be a factor. Pizarro and Guerrero learned German, Son Heung Min as well. Farfan did not.

Also before someone misinterprets my post (it will happen lol), I am not saying all English speakers at home don't know another language, but you see the term "English proficiency" thrown around other countries. You don't see that in England or USA much for other languages. In Canada yes, because of Quebec, but even then I just had a quick look and found nothing. I did the same for Argentina in English and it didn't take me a second to find it.

Anglophones are spoiled. I am not saying they can't learn another language, I'm saying that 99% of the time they don't need to.

Just a bit of proof - French is a language to which they push an agenda growing up in Canada and tell you that you have to learn it - and for a lot of jobs you do. Especially for politicians who are required to know both languages, yet the French speaking population in Canada is less than Quebec's own population. Why should someone from Ontario need to learn French when everyone in Montreal or Quebec City has English as a secondary language anyways? When you go to Ontario, I'd say 1 in every 6 people can speak French, and the same goes for the rest of the country. This is only a Canada example for what I mean when Anglophones are spoiled. Nobody says you can't learn another language. You just don't need to.

Also, I know cases of people who try to learn French in Paris have store keepers or clerks talk back in English because they don't understand them. it's not easy given how universal English is as a language.

e5e364449f2084ae8b05ed5426a6b96b.png

145d943a80f60b7a8413503539f7dd3e.png