football forum

Do you nick glasses?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To steal, or not to steal?

• Yes, it’s culturally commonplace
    • Yes, but it’s uncommon in my culture
    • No, but others do it often
    • No, and no one does it

Do you do it? Is it common in your culture?

I don’t do it often but I can and I will. It’s completely normal in Australia, the USA it’s a bit more frowned upon I feel.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I know people who do that here. I don't steal. 

Maybe it’s not stealing when you’ve already been robbed on the price of a beer.;)

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Maybe it’s not stealing when you’ve already been robbed on the price of a beer.;)

I mean, bar owners don't always really dictate the beer prices. And maybe they're already in a rough spot financially, and if many people steal their glasses, it could cost them. 

Just now, Tommy said:

I mean, bar owners don't always really dictate the beer prices. And maybe they're already in a rough spot financially, and if many people steal their glasses, it could cost them. 

A lot of bars get them for free from distributors as a marketing deal for having certain beers on draught, and even more bars are owned by conglomerates. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of bars get them for free from distributors as a marketing deal for having certain beers on draught, and even more bars are owned by conglomerates. 

I actually knew that because I was friends with a bar owner once, and even took care of the bar when he was on vacation (it was closed). I don't know why the fuck I thought they'd have to buy the glasses themselves. 

I still have Fortuna beer glasses in the basement that he gave to me. Like boxes of them. xD

But still. I don't steal as a general rule. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I actually knew that because I was friends with a bar owner once, and even took care of the bar when he was on vacation (it was closed). I don't know why the fuck I thought they'd have to buy the glasses themselves. 

I still have Fortuna beer glasses in the basement that he gave to me. Like boxes of them. xD

But still. I don't steal as a general rule. 

Haha, maybe Germany has more independent pubs but I know in Australia they are owned by pub barons, and in the UK major companies own most bars across the board. It’s so petty I can’t even register it as immoral especially when the group I was with ran up a large tab, a little recompense is what we need to smooth things over.

• Subscriber

We used to do that as teenagers pretty often, it was very common back then. Don't think it's a thing in my culture anymore though, tbh, and I wouldn't do it anymore either.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

We used to do that as teenagers pretty often, it was very common back then. Don't think it's a thing in my culture anymore though, tbh, and I wouldn't do it anymore either.

Yeah, we did it a lot as teens and more so in Oz. I’m thinking three times since I was a teenager. I must feel a bit frisky every three years or so

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I did years ago, this one from that time, I think it was from a pub in Southend way back in the '70s.

20240330_223118.thumb.jpg.0b9e2fd36634a3f6593ca29afe03d280.jpg

Awesome. It’s like something Indiana Jones would have found by the holy grail

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Spike said:

Do you do it? Is it common in your culture?

I don’t do it often but I can and I will. It’s completely normal in Australia, the USA it’s a bit more frowned upon I feel.

I've done it without realising I've done it. Which I think means I've probably spent a good amount of money at the pub/bar, so it's probably not that bad of a thing to do.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm pretty sure you're meant to take whatever you want from hotels.

That doesn't sound right. But i don't know enough about hotels to dispute it. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Don't do it anymore but there was a brewery that used to get a lot of glasses given to them by distributors and they'd really never frown on folks taking them. Most folks were too tanked at the end of the night to take a glass much less walk out the door properly.