talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton and De Zerbi to part ways

• Subscriber

"Mutual agreement".

I suspect either Brighton will have a new manager within a week or De Zerbi will have a new job, and that will tell us just how mutual the decision was....

Interesting as I read a piece from their CEO or someone who was mentioning how whilst De Zerbi has made a lot of public demands, behind the seasons he understands the clubs position etc etc. Seems like that may not be the case?

From an outside perspective I think he wanted more investment than there has been, if you look at their net spend on transfers over the last two seasons they've made about £150m. Of course Brighton have their model, are happy where they are in the league, will recruit again and go again, but it seems like De Zerbi wants more, I couldn't imagine Brighton wanting to sack him, especially with no Europe next year so they can just concentrate on the league.

I don't think Brighton will struggle too much it has to be said, though they will want to be wary of changing managers too often now as this will be 3 managers in 2 years.

How many first choices do this lot have?

My first thought is he's off to Juventus. If that's the case then Brighton should go to Thiago Motta whose about as like-for-like replacement with an impressive CV you're going to get for Roberto De Zerbi.

• Haha 1

Still not sure what to make of Brighton. Ignoring the mainstream noise, certain clubs seem to be about trying to change the order of things. With Brighton, it does feel to me there is contentment around having got far as they have. Changing managers & significantly redecorating the squad is surely not always going to work. Yes, it has worked brilliantly for them. And how many sides below, in the Championship & further down would love to copy Brighton? But then realistically, how far ahead are they of the 7 sides below, more widely considered to be keeping a closer eye on the bottom end?

I do think it would be brave if a 'big' club has gone in for De Zerbi.

• Subscriber

Bayern have denied it already. Given Chelsea's fetish for anything related to Brighton I wouldn't be surprised if they sacked Poch at half time tomorrow to get De Zerbi xD.

• Subscriber

I've long suspected that they've clashed a bit and that their downturn was thanks to him mentally clocking out of the place somewhat. Could be wrong of course but I'm a lot less surprised by this than the majority seem to be. His performance this season has been pretty ordinary. I think an obviously talented coach but never known somebody get so much smoke blown up their arse for so little tangible achievement. Lets be clear here, I'm seeing him called a genius, compared to the undoubted elite and based on what? I'd want a fair bit more evidence than what we've had especially this season. They don't even really score anymore.

He seemed to want a bit more control on transfers than Brighton were willing to allow. Fair play to Brighton. Another who like West Ham have shook hands when it's clearly taking a downturn. I will forever resent our inability to do this in 2022. It's set us back years. Nobody is bigger than the club - that will always be the best way over time.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dan said:

I think an obviously talented coach but never known somebody get so much smoke blown up their arse for so little tangible achievement. Lets be clear here, I'm seeing him called a genius, compared to the undoubted elite and based on what? I'd want a fair bit more evidence than what we've had especially this season. They don't even really score anymore.

This is what I tried to say in the match day thread the other day. Yes he got them into Europe for the first time but I think they'd have done that anyway if Potter had never gone to Chelsea. It felt like they were heading there and anyone with a reasonably steady hand would finish the job. He's done a steady job but this season has been very ordinary. I know it's been pointed out they had a lot of injuries to key players but they're sat on the same number of points as Bournemouth and (before deductions) Everton who both battled relegation last season while Brighton were comfortably in the top half.

To be fair, they have missed Fati, Mitoma and Ferguson for a lot of games which has probably stunted their attack quite badly but I also don't really see overall how what he's done in two years at Brighton has led to him getting linked with Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus. I feel like people are far too quick to look at managers who have done a slightly above average job with a club for a season or 18 months and start touting them as the next big thing and mapping out their next move.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This is what I tried to say in the match day thread the other day. Yes he got them into Europe for the first time but I think they'd have done that anyway if Potter had never gone to Chelsea. It felt like they were heading there and anyone with a reasonably steady hand would finish the job. He's done a steady job but this season has been very ordinary. I know it's been pointed out they had a lot of injuries to key players but they're sat on the same number of points as Bournemouth and (before deductions) Everton who both battled relegation last season while Brighton were comfortably in the top half.

To be fair, they have missed Fati, Mitoma and Ferguson for a lot of games which has probably stunted their attack quite badly but I also don't really see overall how what he's done in two years at Brighton has led to him getting linked with Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus. I feel like people are far too quick to look at managers who have done a slightly above average job with a club for a season or 18 months and start touting them as the next big thing and mapping out their next move.

They've been fairly weakened by both injury and sales, but then I feel like we say this about pretty much every team and injuries to a point surely there's a bit of a leveller here. I don't think De Zerbi is bad, I just find he prompts some of the most absurd takes ever. I mean I saw him the other week getting praised for the way Brighton were playing out from the back against Man City, while being absolutely hammered, creating nothing, having loads created against them. I feel like I'm viewing football in a totally parralel universe to these people.

I think he probably gets a pretty big job but no guarantee of success at all. He's quite a gamble.

Ideal scenario for Brighton and Ipswich in my opinion. Brighton get a manager who knows the score and Ipswich get to continue what they've started.

• 2 weeks later...