talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scotland 1-1 Switzerland - Wednesday 19th June, 2024

This is a great result for Scotland. Their final group match against Hungary should be a real nail biting game. Both teams will have to go for a win, because a draw will not be any good for either side. A win for Scotland against Hungary, would most likely have them qualify for the last 16. While if Hungary win against Scotland, there is even a slim chance that they might qualify.

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What a shame that Scotland didn't win this. The chances were there. 

Yeah, they were the better side in the 2nd half in my opinion, even though the Swiss did have some dangerous chances themselves. But this is a much improved performance from Scotland, they were really good today.

Just now, Stan said:

Great? Is it? 

Well against a good side like Switzerland it is and the fact their performance was much improved. One of the best games I've seen them play for a while.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Great? Is it? 

No it's not. They needed the win tonight so they weren't in need of a win on Sunday.

They'd have been better being able to draw on Sunday. Instead they've now got to win.

1 minute ago, Devil said:

No it's not. They needed the win tonight so they weren't in need of a win on Sunday.

They'd have been better being able to draw on Sunday. Instead they've now got to win.

Well they needed a win against Germany as well, but all this is easier said than done. They've got their final match against arguably the weakest of their opposition in their group and they will just have to step up against Hungary.

22 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Do you think they will beat Hungary if they play like that against them? 

I think so. If they almost beat Switzerland, they can beat Hungary. 

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well they needed a win against Germany as well, but all this is easier said than done. They've got their final match against arguably the weakest of their opposition in their group and they will just have to step up against Hungary.

They had little to no chance against the hosts. Tonight was an essential 3 points.

Drawing keeps it alive but they go into that last game know both teams have nothing to lose and technically Hungary look stronger to me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it ended a draw and both sides went home.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well against a good side like Switzerland it is and the fact their performance was much improved. One of the best games I've seen them play for a while.

Really?! They've played much better than that before. 

I wouldn't call it great. Switzerland are alright but Scotland getting a draw isn't great. 

27 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yeah a win would have been great and put them in a really good position. A draw doesn't really help. A win against Hungary isn't guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, Devil said:

They had little to no chance against the hosts. Tonight was an essential 3 points.

Drawing keeps it alive but they go into that last game know both teams have nothing to lose and technically Hungary look stronger to me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it ended a draw and both sides went home.

Sorry, still explain how you can say you'd expect a draw against Hungary and in the very same say a win versus Switzerland, whoo are a better team than Hungary would have been essential? It's more essential  to win against worse teams than it to win against better ones, isn't it?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Sorry, still explain how you can say you'd expect a draw against Hungary and in the very same say a win versus Switzerland, whoo are a better team than Hungary would have been essential? It's more essential  to win against worse teams than it to win against better ones, isn't it?

I think the point was to have a win going into Sunday's game, not that it's based on level of opposition. 

Having 3 points going into Sunday's game was better than 1 point. Less pressure with the chance of qualification, compared with having to win on Sunday and the pressure that comes with that. 

I don't think it was essential for Scotland to win tonight, it obviously wasn't as they can still go through if they beat Hungary and Germany beat Switzerland. But it obviously would have been better to win.

Germany have basically locked up the top spot in the group, barring an absolutely catastrophic/hilarious loss to Switzerland. Wouldn't be shocked at all if there's some heavy rotation for their final group match, although idk if Nagelsmann's the kind of manager to do that (if it was me, I probably would - but I'm not a football manager).

So that leaves both Hungary and Scotland both desperate to beat each other, with Switzerland also going to do their best to make it through the group as well. And they only need a point.

The dream's not over for Scotland... and I'm sure even a German team that's resting it's top players will beat Switzerland tbh. But it definitely is less ideal for them.

Gotta say though, it's nice to see that Shaqiri can still turn up in these tournaments and that he's still got the ability to score incredible goals like that. Love that little cube of a man.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think it was essential for Scotland to win tonight, it obviously wasn't as they can still go through if they beat Hungary and Germany beat Switzerland. But it obviously would have been better to win.

Germany have basically locked up the top spot in the group, barring an absolutely catastrophic/hilarious loss to Switzerland. Wouldn't be shocked at all if there's some heavy rotation for their final group match, although idk if Nagelsmann's the kind of manager to do that (if it was me, I probably would - but I'm not a football manager).

So that leaves both Hungary and Scotland both desperate to beat each other, with Switzerland also going to do their best to make it through the group as well. And they only need a point.

The dream's not over for Scotland... and I'm sure even a German team that's resting it's top players will beat Switzerland tbh. But it definitely is less ideal for them.

Gotta say though, it's nice to see that Shaqiri can still turn up in these tournaments and that he's still got the ability to score incredible goals like that. Love that little cube of a man.

Can se him rest those players, who already received a yellow card. Don't think there will be much more of a rotation, of course only my opinion.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Can se him rest those players, who already received a yellow card. Don't think there will be much more of a rotation, of course only my opinion.

You'd know better than me lol

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Scotland don't have to finish second though. 4 points will probably get them through as one of the best third placed teams. Apart from their goal difference being minus 4 I think most Scots would have taken this before the tournament began 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Scotland don't have to finish second though. 4 points will probably get them through as one of the best third placed teams. Apart from their goal difference being minus 4 I think most Scots would have taken this before the tournament began 

That's a good point. So I don't think Scotland should feel too bad about this - losing to Germany, getting a point of Switzerland, and beating Hungary is probably something they'd have found both realistic and optimistic for their chances to get through.

But yeah, obviously they'd much rather have preferred to beat Switzerland and had an easier go of getting through lol.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Really?! They've played much better than that before. 

I wouldn't call it great. Switzerland are alright but Scotland getting a draw isn't great. 

Yeah a win would have been great and put them in a really good position. A draw doesn't really help. A win against Hungary isn't guaranteed. 

When's the last time they played better than that? I've not seen them play that well in a while and against a strong side like Switzerland, that's an achievement. A draw does help, they have 1 extra point, increasing their chances of qualifying if they get that much needed win against Hungary. If they'd lost today, their chances of qualifying would have been significantly lower.

4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Yeah, I don't think the level of opposition is taken into account with the expectations of some people. If the level of opposition doesn't count, we could say Scotland should have won against Germany as well. Both the Germans and the Swiss, were odds on favourites to beat Scotland, that's not the case with Hungary. The fact is, under normal circumstances, Scotland are almost always going to lose against Germany, because Germany are a much stronger team. The Swiss are not as strong as the Germans, but still stronger on paper than Scotland. So getting a draw against the Swiss and not losing is a positive result.

A win against their so called least strong opposition Hungary, is what now awaits Scotland, if they want to qualify. But the draw  against the Swiss has greatly helped their chances of qualifying, because a loss against the Swiss, would have put a big dent in their chances of making it to the Round of 16.