talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Netherlands 0-0 France - Friday 21st June, 2024

Right decision to disallow the goal. He's definitely in the keeper's immediate eyeline which is gonna affect how the keeper reacts. Easy decision in my opinion.

• Subscriber

My only hope is that English referees aren't invited to the next major tournament and that maybe then the penny will finally drop with PGMOL that they've got a problem.

Lol, who am I kidding 😅

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Right decision to disallow the goal. He's definitely in the keeper's immediate eyeline which is gonna affect how the keeper reacts. Easy decision in my opinion.

Would be nice to know why they think he is impeding the keeper?  The keeper sees the shot, knows where the ball is going, because he moves in that direction.  i don't believe it's his eyeline which is impacted here.  Maybe they feel the Dutch attacker prevented the keeper from reaching the ball?  Highly subjective anyway.

• Administrator

View from behind the goal changed my mind. Initially thought the on-pitch ruling should stand, but when you see the distance of Maignan and Dumfries and speed of the shot, the goal should stand for me. If anything Maignan's own defenders are 'in his way' from blocking the sight of the shot. 

Harsh to disallow. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

Maybe they feel the Dutch attacker prevented the keeper from reaching the ball? 

This is why I think they've disallowed it. 

The major problem here of VAR in general. Is that they look for reasons to disallow the goal. 

If he had dived in that direction and Dumfries physically blocked him, of course give the offside.

But he didn't move at all, he was totally wrong-footed (not by Dumfries) and was never going to save it. In which case, its just a case of referees looking for a reason to interfere with the game.

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

If he had dived in that direction and Dumfries physically blocked him, of course give the offside

Sadly that's not what the rules say :(

But the rules don't have common sense applied to then.