talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 0-0 Slovenia - Tuesday 25th June, 2024

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have this weird feeling like we’ll lose this and not go through. Dunno why and hopefully I’m wrong.

Be almost practically impossible to not go through on 4 points. Already have top 3 place guaranteed, and not sure there's a scenario that if England do finish 3rd they won't finish as the one of the four best 3rd-place teams with the 4 points already on board.

In fact it'll be pretty much confirmed England are through even if we do lose, should Albania and Croatia both lose tonight, or Albania win and Croatia win by a big margin. Either of those will be on 4 points too in that scenario and then it goes down to goal difference. 

If either of those finish in 3rd but less than 4 points, England will be guaranteed to qualify even if finishing 3rd - as Hungary currently occupy one of the best 3rd-place rankings with only 3 points, and one of Albania/Croatia will also be there but on less than 4 too. 

Just now, Stan said:

Be almost practically impossible to not go through on 4 points. Already have top 3 place guaranteed, and not sure there's a scenario that if England do finish 3rd they won't finish as the one of the four best 3rd-place teams with the 4 points already on board.

In fact it'll be pretty much confirmed England are through even if we do lose, should Albania and Croatia both lose tonight, or Albania win and Croatia win by a big margin. Either of those will be on 4 points too in that scenario and then it goes down to goal difference. 

If either of those finish in 3rd but less than 4 points, England will be guaranteed to qualify even if finishing 3rd - as Hungary currently occupy one of the best 3rd-place rankings with only 3 points, and one of Albania/Croatia will also be there but on less than 4 too. 

Good point.

So I just think we’ll lose lol

• Subscriber

We'll go through for almost certain as Hungary finishing 3rd with 3 points only means England can only finish as low as 5th should we finish 3rd. If neither Albania or Croatia win tonight then England are through already. 4 points is easily enough this year - unless both games on the final day of group E end in draws in which case hard luck Ukraine xD

Going much further though. Fat chance. Wouldn't be surprised if we blew tomorrow. We've looked abysmal and all the talk from the camp is ridiculously defensive. You can tell how easy they've had it for years when entirely valid criticism of their dreadful performance is treated like that. The relationship between the squad and media seems to have been severed. Everything pointing towards an embarrassing exit for me.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

He's starting Gallagher. Very predictable as well.

He's gotta ditch the 2 DMs. 

If you want the most out of this attacking prowess you have to give them the freedom and set up to do so. He's nullifying all of our attacking threats without the making the opposition try hard to do so. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

He's gotta ditch the 2 DMs. 

If you want the most out of this attacking prowess you have to give them the freedom and set up to do so. He's nullifying all of our attacking threats without the making the opposition try hard to do so. 

He won't ditch 2 DMs. His comments on Phillips revealed everything.

I called it pre-tournament but he fucked up with the left back situation. Not having a proper left back totally nullifies our game plan regardless of who the front four are. Shaw is now apparently doubtful for the whole tournament. It feels more 2016 by the day.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

called it pre-tournament but he fucked up with the left back situation. Not having a proper left back totally nullifies our game plan regardless of who the front four are. Shaw is now apparently doubtful for the whole tournament. It feels more 2016 by the day.

He's taken four Palace players, and the one who would have been my first choice didn't even make the preliminary squad.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have this weird feeling like we’ll lose this and not go through. Dunno why and hopefully I’m wrong.

England have already qualified. This is the match where I expect England to perform close to their best. There is no reason not to. Player for player England are the better team and we have already qualified. So there is no reason to be tentative or conservative in our play when we play Slovenia. There is not much pressure on England in this game, so hopefully the players will be able to express themselves more.

England should just go for it and play the attacking football that we know these players are capable of playing. Slovenia are no mugs, they've proven that they are a very decent side. But England are the stronger team and when the better sides press and pressure the opposition, they usually win. We should just go for it and attack the Slovenians from kick-off, we have nothing really to lose in this match.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's taken four Palace players, and the one who would have been my first choice didn't even make the preliminary squad.

I said it myself. We don't value a balanced team at international level at all. Too obsessed with individuals and who does or doesn't miss out.

If England's strongest and most balanced XI omits Foden or Alexander-Arnold (for arguments sake) then so be it. Tough shit.

• Upvote 1

In the upcoming match, it appears that Gallagher will replace TA Arnold, a change that seems obvious and necessary. England have faced criticism for adopting a defensive approach once they've secured a lead. Personally, I disagree with this tactic, especially when England are stronger than their opponents. However, it's worth noting that many top teams follow a similar strategy after taking the lead. Managers often prioritize minimising risks. 

Nevertheless, today's match against Slovenia offers England a chance to showcase their abilities. Having already qualified for the Round of 16, I hope to see an impressive performance from England, with them scoring several goals. Hopefully Bellingham and Kane are on their "A" game today.

Edited by Michael

18 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Noticed earlier that if Holland match France's score then France, Germany, Portugal and Spain should be on the other side of the Knockout bracket.

Got no idea what everyone's panicking about.

One of the reasons why Portugal had it relatively easy in 2016, no disrespect to Croatia Wales etc

This 24 team format awards mediocrity in the KO bracket. 

• Upvote 2

Dropping Trent makes sense if Southgate‘s going to play a team with no runners except Saka. But I don’t think it does much to stop the dour tactics. At least it’ll stop him from being scapegoated for these shit performances are, even though he’s still managed to statistically be England’s most creative player in a system that wastes him.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

I said it myself. We don't value a balanced team at international level at all. Too obsessed with individuals and who does or doesn't miss out.

If England's strongest and most balanced XI omits Foden or Alexander-Arnold (for arguments sake) then so be it. Tough shit.

The squad’s got the players to fit in Foden and Alexander-Arnold, Bellingham and Kane into it in a way that’s less “hey lads fuck playing to your strengths” … I’m also wondering if Kane is dropping deeper than a titanic submersible because of managers instructions or out of frustration from the lack of creation.

But I think after a few decent tournaments, you’d have hoped Southgate would have learned from watching players like Kane, Foden, Alexander-Arnold, and Bellingham that one of those 4 has a distinct problem with turning up in big games in knockout tournaments and the other 3 have had standout matches in some of the biggest matches of their lives. That’s 3 players that should have the team built around them for years to come tbh.

17 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

One of the reasons why Portugal had it relatively easy in 2016, no disrespect to Croatia Wales etc

This 24 team format awards mediocrity in the KO bracket. 

With the exception of maybe Georgia and Albania as well as perhaps Turkey and Scotland, most of the teams at these Euros have proven how tough they can be. Portugal rightfully earned their tough win at Euro 2016. That was a Croatia team where the golden generation were at their peak and so were Bale and Ramsey in that Welsh side of Euro 2016. Those weren't mediocre teams, they had world class players. Credit should be given where credit is due.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

That's a very valid point, because certain other teams at these Euros have done the exact opposite to what England have done. Where these teams have dropped some of their seemingly better players, in order to help the formation and strategies that these teams are deploying work out.

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

With the exception of maybe Georgia and Albania as well as perhaps Turkey and Scotland, most of the teams at these Euros have proven how tough they can be. Portugal rightfully earned their tough win at Euro 2016. That was a Croatia team where the golden generation were at their peak and so were Bale and Ramsey in that Welsh side of Euro 2016. Those weren't mediocre teams, they had world class players. Credit should be given where credit is due.

It rewards mediocre performance by the team in question in the group stages by giving them an easier bracket. Like the original post said how four group topers will end up on the same side of the bracket 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Those weren't mediocre teams, they had world class players. Credit should be given where credit is due.

You can have world class players but still put in mediocre performances...