talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs

football forum
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I felt the same when Holland missed out on Euro 2016 but you get over it. If Italy don't make it, it's because they don't deserve to be there unfortunately, no matter how notorious they are with the competition.

Whilst I do agree they did get done over by the awful FIFA seeding system. Italy and Spain ended up in the same group and then you have the three below; Poland, Iceland and Serbia all top seeds over the Italians?

eb740e2cfc9b67b4a994b111064ac53e.png1a5589e0674b1b9a556a6f04ef4f6e76.png8fe3dc22ea146a08752aa4dfb0e0e199.png

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't have the seeding be decided on name value. If you don't take games outside of tournaments seriously then you do so at your own risk and can't really complain when you fall down the rankings. Italy didn't deserve to be top seeds as their performances have shown that as a team, their not that good under Ventura.

I disagree with how the seeding system is done both at international level and club level...  History SHOULD take a part in all of this because to have Iceland, Poland and some others getting benefits from having achieved nowhere near some other names, is ridiculous.  Spain and Italy in the same World Cup qualification group was absolutely stupid...  Or Holland and France.

Take for example Spain in the World Cup in Russia...  They're going to be placed in a group with another big name.  Spain in recent times have won two European Championships and a World Cup.  All of a sudden they find themselves slightly out of the seeding rank for the World Cup.  This doesn't benefit the tournament (Italy may be out and someone like Argentina, France or Germany will get Spain in their group) and it doesn't benefit football.

Totally designed to get a South Korea type situation occurring again in the next World Cup by going far because big names are eliminated along the way due to the narrow margin of the possibility of elimination in small group games.  They (FIFA) couldn't do what they done within a tournament itself (self evident) when they took the Koreans to the Semis.  Now it's a hell of a lot more clandestine.

Well it shows how ridiculous the seeding system actually is!  How many sides that aren't gong to the World Cup or are in danger of not going to the World Cup would've dusted New Zealand off their suit like a pestering mosquito without too much effort.  Yet if Perú were to qualify, they could be seeded and yet are finding it difficult to eliminate some chemists and bankers.

52 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I disagree with how the seeding system is done both at international level and club level...  History SHOULD take a part in all of this because to have Iceland, Poland and some others getting benefits from having achieved nowhere near some other names, is ridiculous.  Spain and Italy in the same World Cup qualification group was absolutely stupid...  Or Holland and France.

Take for example Spain in the World Cup in Russia...  They're going to be placed in a group with another big name.  Spain in recent times have won two European Championships and a World Cup.  All of a sudden they find themselves slightly out of the seeding rank for the World Cup.  This doesn't benefit the tournament (Italy may be out and someone like Argentina, France or Germany will get Spain in their group) and it doesn't benefit football.

Totally designed to get a South Korea type situation occurring again in the next World Cup by going far because big names are eliminated along the way due to the narrow margin of the possibility of elimination in small group games.  They (FIFA) couldn't do what they done within a tournament itself (self evident) when they took the Koreans to the Semis.  Now it's a hell of a lot more clandestine.

UEFA actually have a far better seeding system for the qualifying for the Euros, which is based on the last three qualifying campaigns. Something like that is what FIFA should look to use for the World Cup Qualifying, as it's been well documented how easily the World Rankings can be manipulated and throws up cases like France who didn't play many competitive matches as they hosted EURO 2016.

However, where I will disagree with you is your downplaying of Iceland, immediately before saying how Holland need help because of their history. I think you should check where they placed in their EURO 2016 Qualifying Group. Holland are not a good team and haven't been one in a long while.  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Blue said:

Dude, you've been waiting to pounce since March. Don't show up now.

'show up' wtf does that even mean xD

You overrate Peru simply by being Peruvian and I don't blame you. They're your country and you want the best for them. 

But I don't rate them and after all the hype you gave them that you should beat NZ because of their lowly quality, you end up drawing with them and not even scoring. 

It's not that I've been 'waiting' to do this ffs xD

Just now, Stan said:

'show up' wtf does that even mean xD

You overrate Peru simply by being Peruvian and I don't blame you. They're your country and you want the best for them. 

But I don't rate them and after all the hype you gave them that you should beat NZ because of their lowly quality, you end up drawing with them and not even scoring. 

It's not that I've been 'waiting' to do this ffs xD

And you don't rate them based on what... guessing?

And yes you have. Anything otherwise is a lie. Fuck off.

football forum
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Well it shows how ridiculous the seeding system actually is!  How many sides that aren't gong to the World Cup or are in danger of not going to the World Cup would've dusted New Zealand off their suit like a pestering mosquito without too much effort.  Yet if Perú were to qualify, they could be seeded and yet are finding it difficult to eliminate some chemists and bankers.

+1 :congrats:.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

And you don't rate them based on what... guessing?

And yes you have. Anything otherwise is a lie. Fuck off.

Why since March? Have I been quiet on the issue since then? No.

Don't be such a melt all your life. 

You either overrate your own side or underestimated New Zealand.

Maybe both. 

Just now, Stan said:

Why since March? Have I been quiet on the issue since then? No.

Don't be such a melt all your life. 

You either overrate your own side or underestimated New Zealand.

Maybe both. 

I bet you if Bolivia haven't missed that sitter, you would have shown up and said "BoLiViA dReW PeRu LaUgHiNg EmOjI" or same with Ecuador, Argentina bla bla bla.

I think you'll find that you're the melt. Not me. 

Its simple, I undestimated New Zealand and I began to realize that we've not looked as good as we did in November-June. We've not been quite the same since. Still, we're the only side in South America to not lose a game in 2017. Such a fucking average side we are, finishing above Chile and shit. Nearly knocking out Argentina.

Good on you for avoiding my question too. You know you've not seen a second of us and that's why you don't rate us. Not heard any of our players so that automatically makes us shit. Fucking spastic.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

I bet you if Bolivia haven't missed that sitter, you would have shown up and said "BoLiViA dReW PeRu LaUgHiNg EmOjI" or same with Ecuador, Argentina bla bla bla.

I think you'll find that you're the melt. Not me. 

Its simple, I undestimated New Zealand and I began to realize that we've not looked as good as we did in November-June. We've not been quite the same since. Still, we're the only side in South America to not lose a game in 2017. Such a fucking average side we are, finishing above Chile and shit. Nearly knocking out Argentina.

Good on you for avoiding my question too. You know you've not seen a second of us and that's why you don't rate us. Not heard any of our players so that automatically makes us shit. Fucking spastic.

I've heard of Andre Carrillo seeing as he's the best player in the Premier League and the only player for Watford. 

Breathe, Brian. 

Just now, Stan said:

I've heard of Andre Carrillo seeing as he's the best player in the Premier League and the only player for Watford. 

Breathe, Brian. 

I'm not happy that we drew New Zealand, understandably. 

However, I find it completely embarrassing that you show up after a run of 8 games where we won 5 games and drew 3. You've been waiting for this and would have shown up if we lost earlier. Complete melt you are. 

"I don't rate Peru". I could just as easily say I don't rate Poland. I haven't seen a second of them. They have a good squad but I have no right to say they are a proper side. Neither do you on us. 

football forum
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

However, I find it completely embarrassing that you show up after a run of 8 games where we won 5 games and drew 3. You've been waiting for this and would have shown up if we lost earlier. Complete melt you are. 

tumblr_ohl7qipUmo1steui8o1_400.gif

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

"I don't rate Peru". I could just as easily say I don't rate Poland. I haven't seen a second of them. They have a good squad but I have no right to say they are a proper side. Neither do you on us. 

Forgot you had access to my TV schedule, sorry! 

If you think I 'show up' you're wrong. It's just easier after the big one you gave it thinking you'd stroll past NZ. 

Just now, Stan said:

Forgot you had access to my TV schedule, sorry! 

If you think I 'show up' you're wrong. It's just easier after the big one you gave it thinking you'd stroll past NZ. 

If you respected me more, I think you wouldn't do that.

Most people expected us to stroll past NZ. Its clear they have improved, but its still frustrating to have drawn them. They are still an inferior side to us. I just hope we click come wednesday. 

Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

It's hard for New Zealand to build up coefficient points when most of their games are against islands only David Attenborough has been to

Ha, very true. New Zealand are bad but they aren't 122nd placed bad.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Blue said:

If you respected me more, I think you wouldn't do that.

Most people expected us to stroll past NZ. Its clear they have improved, but its still frustrating to have drawn them. They are still an inferior side to us. I just hope we click come wednesday. 

True. I'd respect people that don't call me complete melts tbf. 

Bye. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Cannabis with the post of the year :rofl: that shows the rankings are BULLSHIT. both teams should be closer to each other as they are about the same level

Agree. Peru should be about number 123 :ph34r:

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Whilst I do agree they did get done over by the awful FIFA seeding system. Italy and Spain ended up in the same group and then you have the three below; Poland, Iceland and Serbia all top seeds over the Italians?

eb740e2cfc9b67b4a994b111064ac53e.png1a5589e0674b1b9a556a6f04ef4f6e76.png8fe3dc22ea146a08752aa4dfb0e0e199.png

What's incredible about that is that Poland aren't even a top seed, it was actually Romania. That's the same Romania whose awful Euro 2016 was their first tournament showing since 1998. They have got to look at changing the system because it clearly doesn't work.

I'd imagine that Croatia and Wales were the other pot one sides.

football forum
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'd imagine that Croatia and Wales were the other pot one sides.

Given that Wales were as high as 2nd at one point in the rankings I'd assume you're right.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived