• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

This has got 0-1 written all over it. Switzerland have been appalling in this half and Northern Ireland are making them worry.

may end up Switzlerand 1-0 Ireland again. For all the poor play in the 2nd half and rued chances in the first, it'd be typical to then break Irish hearts in the final few minutes.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

xD

Oh my days!

What's "normal football" when it's at home?

I get the UK fans gong for the home nations and all that, but supporting this riff-raff and this ridiculous excuse for football...  Let me rephrase...  Making excuses for this because it's a home nation and then calling yourself a football fan is a fucking joke!

Eire need to be eliminated and the moment they started to attempt to play that football they could've been expelled from the qualifiers so as to open the way for teams wanting to express themselves playing the sport for what it's there for which is football fans.

Yeah sorry I think my post sounds mixed up in hindsight. I meant those two points as "why it annoys me when people defend O'Neill", not "why people defend O'Neill".

And yeah, I'm not gonna try to define "normal football", but we can say that it's not whatever Ireland do :D

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

xD

Oh my days!

What's "normal football" when it's at home?

I get the UK fans gong for the home nations and all that, but supporting this riff-raff and this ridiculous excuse for football...  Let me rephrase...  Making excuses for this because it's a home nation and then calling yourself a football fan is a fucking joke!

Eire need to be eliminated and the moment they started to attempt to play that football they could've been expelled from the qualifiers so as to open the way for teams wanting to express themselves playing the sport for what it's there for which is football fans.

Thats bolocks. People can support who they want

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Thats bolocks. People can support who they want

Of course they can and in the same manner if the person isn’t from that country and is just using the “home nation” appendage, then the “bollocks” is also subscribed to having to attend to someone criticising that ‘support’ when it’s shit football. 

Thats not the way you worded it. You said they weren't real fans. It's not the first time you have told fans how to act(half scarfes ring a bell) if people wanna support the home nations thats up to them. You don't want to that's up to you. But don't go around saying fans who do aren't real fans

4 hours ago, ASF said:

One thing that buggers me about the competition is: it's the called the World Cup. It should have teams from every continent. It's nonsense that the team qualifying in first place, from Oceania, should play the 5th of the Conmebol. They should have one spot, at least, secured at the main tournament, like every confederation have. Highly unfair for that confederation.

As for Italy, I think it would be a good thing for them, to miss the World Cup. They need a serious wake up call. They haven't had a top squad since 2008. The last two world cups results have been embarrassing, to say the least. They need to make changes, if they want to return to the top.

I agree. I don't get why anyone is complaining about European places. Europe gets half the places. I think Australia should have stayed in oceania and then either new Zealand or Australia qualify. 

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Thats not the way you worded it. You said they weren't real fans. It's not the first time you have told fans how to act(half scarfes ring a bell) if people wanna support the home nations thats up to them. You don't want to that's up to you. But don't go around saying fans who do aren't real fans

Quote me!

Like I said...  People can support who they want but if when we're talking about nations and that person isn't from that nation and has no connection to that nation then in the same manner they are free to support who they like (as you said), I repeat, they have to accept someone else's point of view too.  Or are you all for politicised censorship?

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Quote me!

Like I said...  People can support who they want but if when we're talking about nations and that person isn't from that nation and has no connection to that nation then in the same manner they are free to support who they like (as you said), I repeat, they have to accept someone else's point of view too.  Or are you all for politicised censorship?

I didn't read the earlier post and took it out of context. My mistake thought you were telling people who they should support

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't read the earlier post and took it out of context. My mistake thought you were telling people who they should support

I couldn't give a damn who people choose to support mate.

I do have an issue with "ultra-patriotism" and even more so when it's not even from the COUNTRY you are a citizen of like in the case of the home nations.  But even then I get it because I like to see the home nations do well also.  But I don't like shit football and right now Eire play something that isn't even worthy of the word "shit". It's bloody terrible!  It's only an observation and a subsequent criticism though...  I get they're using the tools available to them and that they haven't got a talented generation like in years gone by. But that doesn't save them from criticism because they're in some way connected to the UK even though in this particular case the Republic of Ireland aren't even a home nation at all.

32 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I agree. I don't get why anyone is complaining about European places. Europe gets half the places. I think Australia should have stayed in oceania and then either new Zealand or Australia qualify. 

Australia should not have stayed in Oceania. They were winning every game 30-0 and the interest in the sport wasn't growing nor was the level. Them moving to Asia was 100% the right decision. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Australia should not have stayed in Oceania. They were winning every game 30-0 and the interest in the sport wasn't growing nor was the level. Them moving to Asia was 100% the right decision. 

True. What I meant though is you would have one team guaranteed from Oceania then

23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I couldn't give a damn who people choose to support mate.

I do have an issue with "ultra-patriotism" and even more so when it's not even from the COUNTRY you are a citizen of like in the case of the home nations.  But even then I get it because I like to see the home nations do well also.  But I don't like shit football and right now Eire play something that isn't even worthy of the word "shit". It's bloody terrible!  It's only an observation and a subsequent criticism though...  I get they're using the tools available to them and that they haven't got a talented generation like in years gone by. But that doesn't save them from criticism because they're in some way connected to the UK even though in this particular case the Republic of Ireland aren't even a home nation at all.

Support comes naturally, not by choice. I celebrate Peru's goals and they are the team I am naturally and understandably most connected too. I'm not afraid to admit though that I also celebrate Australia's goals. I began noticing this just the other day when they had their clear cut chances against Honduras, I got off my chair ready to yell "GOAL". I have no connection to them genetically and I only began watching them because of a few friends and because of Tim Cahill but over time I began to realize I do feel somewhat connected to them and they would be my second team only behind Peru who I actually support.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I have no connection to them genetically and I only began watching them because of a few friends and because of Tim Cahill but over time I began to realize I do feel somewhat connected to them

I don't get it although I do root for Argentina when Spain and England can't do it.  But then again I can claim there's some sort of connection there whereas with you and Australia I don't understand.

Just now, SirBalon said:

I don't get it although I do root for Argentina when Spain and England can't do it.  But then again I can claim there's some sort of connection there whereas with you and Australia I don't understand.

I don't understand it either mate, but I've naturally come to love the Soccerroos. Its something that just came to me and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I don't grudge people for supporting their club/team just because they play awful football.

Luckily for me, Scotland, although crap, don't play overly negative football - in fact our problem is that all of our best players are generally physically small/weak, which requires us to actually try and play a passing game, albeit without the required ability or organisation to make it work. 

I wish we could sometimes have an occasional Ireland-esque performance to grind a result against the odds, rather than our usual approach of high-scoring "good efforts". 

But overall, our lack of strength and athleticism, as well as quality CBs, makes it impossible for us to soak up pressure. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived