talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2024/25 - Gameweek 1 - 16-19th August, 2024

• Administrator

Had the twatting in the first half but unlike Cardiff, we stayed in the game. Somehow. 

I'd be fuming if I was a Spurs fan. Not killing off the game and then dropping shite like that in the 2nd half. Especially Son who I've never seen play like that against us. 

Vardy is Vardy. What a hero. Loves giving it as much as he gets it. 

Thought Buonanotte was superb. Need more creativity around him but really impressed with his game tonight. 

If we can replicate some of the football we played in that 2nd half then we might just be okay. But we can't play like we did in the first half, not all teams will miss the opportunities to punish us. Glad we have a manager that takes responsibility as well and not shirk away from it. Says the first half was too negative and that was on him. 

• Administrator

Oh, and hope Bentancur is okay. Incident was on other side of the pitch but you know it's serious when players call for the doctors immediately and urgently. 

Fingers crossed his injury isn't serious. 

• Subscriber

Tell you what that response second half is far, far more like it. First time in absolutely ages watching us I felt we were playing well above ourselves.

First half was basically everything I'd manifested from preseason coming to life. That goal seemed to just turn everything though and we could've even won it.

It's hard to not have a bit more hope after that.

As good as a result for Leicester that is, it felt like their maximum effort, like the most they can give. Not many teams will be as wasteful as spurs were, so unless signings come through the door I think we’ll see a lot more performances like that first half. Especially in games against the mid to lower table sides, it’s always hard for players to get themselves up for those. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Rick said:

As good as a result for Leicester that is, it felt like their maximum effort, like the most they can give. Not many teams will be as wasteful as spurs were, so unless signings come through the door I think we’ll see a lot more performances like that first half. Especially in games against the mid to lower table sides, it’s always hard for players to get themselves up for those. 

I think that in itself though is why people are quite happy with it. I don't think you've really seen 'maximum effort' from us for literally years, even last season we were quite a functional side. The second half is the type of football we really do respond to. Felt like a throwback to our better years.

There is no doubt though without additions we are going down. It's just nice to see some semblance of team effort. I really was expecting a battering last night.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think that in itself though is why people are quite happy with it. I don't think you've really seen 'maximum effort' from us for literally years, even last season we were quite a functional side. The second half is the type of football we really do respond to. Felt like a throwback to our better years.

There is no doubt though without additions we are going down. It's just nice to see some semblance of team effort. I really was expecting a battering last night.

This. 

Although it was Rodgers at the time, I've not felt that sense of urgency and real energy and dynamism about the place and about our football since we were blowing away top teams in his first 2 seasons. It reminded me of the 2-1 win vs Spurs (Maddison scoring outside the box), or beating Arsenal 2-0 under the lights in the rain (Vardy and Maddison scoring).

If we can take that forward for the rest of our home games I do feel like teams won't enjoy coming here. My worry being that we may go a goal down quite regularly so will often need a response.

I do like that Cooper took responsibility for the first half, in being too negative, though. Hopefully he can rectify that because we do need to start games fast. Hopefully some more depth and quality and creativity can be added in the rest of the transfer window.

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Had the twatting in the first half but unlike Cardiff, we stayed in the game. Somehow. 

I'd be fuming if I was a Spurs fan. Not killing off the game and then dropping shite like that in the 2nd half. Especially Son who I've never seen play like that against us. 

Thought Buonanotte was superb. Need more creativity around him but really impressed with his game tonight. 

If we can replicate some of the football we played in that 2nd half then we might just be okay. But we can't play like we did in the first half, not all teams will miss the opportunities to punish us. Glad we have a manager that takes responsibility as well and not shirk away from it. Says the first half was too negative and that was on him. 

14 hours ago, Rick said:

@MUFC

22 hours ago, Stan said:

Had the twatting in the first half but unlike Cardiff, we stayed in the game. Somehow

Cheeky fucker. :(

• The topic was unpinned