• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Animals

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f9837353cbe15bdd6f058f9513025b07.png

'The nation's sweetheart': Thailand falls in love with orphaned baby dugong

Jamie Fullerton in Bangkok

She eats sea grass, drinks milk from a rubber glove, snuggles up to passing canoes and frequently beaches herself. But these idiosyncrasies have not stopped an entire nation from falling in love with her.

Thailand has a new national sweetheart – an orphaned baby dugong called Mariam.

Mariam is being hand-reared after she was found alone near a beach in Thailand’s southern Krabi province in April and rescued.

After photos showing the five-month-old marine creature appearing to hug her human helpers went viral online, Thailand’s Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) dubbed her “the nation’s sweetheart”. Now she is poised to become the star of a live video feed and experts are designing a coastal holding pen to protect her from passing boats.

MORE

• Subscriber

Bastards, they need shooting let alone the bird.

Quote.thumb.png.fcf2a098cd1db32bb178d6d05cb17cee.png

Marsh harrier 'shot' near Norfolk nature reserve

download.thumb.png.49e0416fcd023676c68cb34e05e7f625.png

A bird of prey thought to be part of a breeding pair on a nature reserve has been found shot, a wildlife group said.

The male marsh harrier was found injured by a dog walker at Sculthorpe Moor, near Fakenham, Norfolk, according to the reserve owner the Hawk and Owl Trust.

The find was reported to staff at the reserve, but when they got to the spot only a few feathers were left.

Since the find, a male bird breeding on the reserve has not been seen.

The Trust said this year's chicks were at risk because both parents were needed to supply enough food for their offspring.

416887136_download(1).thumb.png.89d87b1320be56b20b671d643f18fdd3.png

The Hawk and Owl Trust said it had reported the find, on 21 June, to Norfolk Police as the marsh harrier is a protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

The trust said, "the finder was unable to get to the bird to rescue, but did take a photograph which records the kind of injury that shows the bird had been shot".

Nigel Middleton, Sculthorpe Moor reserve manager, said: "Illegal persecution is such a problem and it's inexcusable. Having it happen on our doorstep has come as a real shock.

"Marsh harriers are the reason that Sculthorpe is a reserve. This is just horrifying.

"If anyone knows anything please let the police know. Let's bring this criminal to justice."

Norfolk Police said officers were "investigating reports of an injured marsh harrier found in Sculthorpe".

894147181_download(2).png.9c07e84c0d6f16c41d40b55876d9b17c.png

Source: British Trust for Ornithology

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48842212

On 04/07/2019 at 18:33, CaaC (John) said:

Bastards, they need shooting let alone the bird.

Quote.thumb.png.fcf2a098cd1db32bb178d6d05cb17cee.png

Marsh harrier 'shot' near Norfolk nature reserve

download.thumb.png.49e0416fcd023676c68cb34e05e7f625.png

A bird of prey thought to be part of a breeding pair on a nature reserve has been found shot, a wildlife group said.

The male marsh harrier was found injured by a dog walker at Sculthorpe Moor, near Fakenham, Norfolk, according to the reserve owner the Hawk and Owl Trust.

The find was reported to staff at the reserve, but when they got to the spot only a few feathers were left.

Since the find, a male bird breeding on the reserve has not been seen.

The Trust said this year's chicks were at risk because both parents were needed to supply enough food for their offspring.

416887136_download(1).thumb.png.89d87b1320be56b20b671d643f18fdd3.png

The Hawk and Owl Trust said it had reported the find, on 21 June, to Norfolk Police as the marsh harrier is a protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

The trust said, "the finder was unable to get to the bird to rescue, but did take a photograph which records the kind of injury that shows the bird had been shot".

Nigel Middleton, Sculthorpe Moor reserve manager, said: "Illegal persecution is such a problem and it's inexcusable. Having it happen on our doorstep has come as a real shock.

"Marsh harriers are the reason that Sculthorpe is a reserve. This is just horrifying.

"If anyone knows anything please let the police know. Let's bring this criminal to justice."

Norfolk Police said officers were "investigating reports of an injured marsh harrier found in Sculthorpe".

894147181_download(2).png.9c07e84c0d6f16c41d40b55876d9b17c.png

Source: British Trust for Ornithology

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48842212

I saw either one of these, or a Hen Harrier(female if it was one of the latter since the males are a different colour) the other day while fishing and it's rare you do see them. There is the trough of bowland near by, which is home to Hen Harriers and in the other direction, an RSPB nature preserve, where there are families of Marsh Harriers visiting there every summer, so it could have been either.

Hen Harriers, just like Peregrine Falcons, are often killed by your rich Gamekeepers on the moors as Hen Harriers and Peregrines from time to time may take a grouse, so grouse hunters shoot them, trap them, crush their eggs, kill their young, etc and nothing can really be done as these moors are owned by these rich gamekeepers, who when caught killing birds of prey, are often only given fines, which is fuck all to them. They should start giving cunts like this serious jail time, or better yet just release their names, addresses and pictures online so that 'vigilantes' can give them a good kicking.

The other ones are those clowns who race Pigeons. These are less likely to kill Harriers, but do kill Peregrines and Sparrowhawks, due to the obvious, they like eating Pigeons, although if you're to partake in a hobby like that, then it's part and parcel of it. You can't just go around killing everything for your own personal gain. You don't see my going out killing Otters, Herons, Kingfishers, Grebes, etc because they eat fish and I enjoy going fishing. One of the positives to going fishing is that you see these animals and get to pretty much live with them temporarily in their environment.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They should start giving cunts like this serious jail time, or better yet just release their names, addresses and pictures online so that 'vigilantes' can give them a good kicking.

Yep, give their names and addresses out then see what happens, if they end up getting a kicking then they will run to the law and cry blue murder, the name CUNTS fits exactly.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.55b1b67a29e0957532fa7ce6728148ea.png

An exotic-looking orange bird couldn’t fly — because it was covered in curry

Alex Horton

A sunburst-coloured bird was stranded on a British highway when passersby spotted him, which wasn’t difficult.

The Good Samaritans called an animal rescue hospital to report the bird, along with a strange description of his appearance: He was a vivid but uneven orange, like a winged Cheeto.

Was he some exotic bird that escaped from a zoo? An illegal pet from the Amazon that flew the coop?

download.png.41d3f303c69f1ae693463f31e6c1f3e4.png

Neither, it turns out. The bird was an ordinary gull with an uncommon problem that turned him the colour of a weathered traffic cone, rendering him flightless.

355018260_download(1).png.2668cf5439f6faa711bafe95e9030874.png

“He had somehow gotten himself covered in curry or turmeric! It was all over his feathers, preventing him from flying properly,” the animal Buckinghamshire hospital Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital (really) said July 1 on Facebook. “We have no idea how he got into this predicament but thankfully, apart from the vibrant colour and pungent smell, he was healthy.”

The hospital dubbed the bird “Vinny” after Vindaloo curry and got to work scrubbing his feathers clean. Tiggywinkles said in the post that Vinny was nearing release. The hospital did not return a request for comment.

Related: Why the storks' return to Britain is a beacon of hope for us all

In a post-bath photo, Vinny showed his white feathers, although with a slight hue of orange still lingering.

1922050186_download(2).png.7e7a3564bc077981d74acb9f8345c08a.png

“As we say, we never know what will come through our doors next!” Tiggywinkles said on Facebook.

And yet Vinny is weirdly not the first gull in England to get himself into this very specific predicament. In 2016, a bird in Buckinghamshire dove into a vat of tikka masala while scavenging for chicken.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/an-exotic-looking-orange-bird-couldnt-fly-—-because-it-was-covered-in-curry/ar-AAE1AVK?ocid=chromentp

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

On 06/07/2019 at 16:20, CaaC (John) said:

Good shots them @Stick With Azeem, this one (below) looks just like a Kingfisher? 

28md29N.jpg

We have them in this country as well mate and they are actually a species called a Hoopoe.

They are migratory birds and they don't actually mate here(unlike some migratory birds which do) but small numbers of them migrate to the far South of the country in the warmer months.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.186e29ca6f5c2eaf1b63d0c0f27c6bcc.png

'You don't go and raise your dinner': California eagles defy odds by taking in baby hawk

Alayna Shulman

AADZ2Hu.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

REDDING, Calif. – Something just didn’t look right.

Terri Lhuillier, an avid eagle-watcher in Redding, California, had been keeping an eye on this particular nest outside of town since May. But by this day in mid-June, when she and her husband were going over their most recent batch of pictures, they noticed something in one shot that they hadn’t picked up on.

When they went back to get a better look, they realized why the little speck had been so easy to miss. 

“I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Lhuillier said. “I was looking, and I was like, ‘Wait a minute, that body is way too much smaller than the other two.’”

A red-tailed hawk chick was in the nest with two adoptive eagle siblings, coexisting with two eagle parents that would normally turn it into dinner.

“I mean, every time I see it, I’m like, ‘How is this little thing surviving amongst four bald eagles?” Lhuillier said. "(Eagles) have some of the best vision in the animal world. You’ve gotta know something doesn't look right here. I mean, this doesn't look at all like an eaglet, and they’re not reacting to that at all. So we’re just like, 'Yes, love is blind.'"

It’s a phenomenon so undocumented that renowned wildlife biologist and eagle expert David Hancock dropped everything to come to California from British Columbia once Lhuillier tipped him off to the unlikely new family unit.

“It just was a necessary participation,” said Hancock, who also started the Hancock Wildlife Foundation. “Unless you’re human, you don’t go and raise your dinner. … It’s so seldom been observed.”

In his long career observing eagles, Hancock has known of only a couple of similar incidents. One of them, a baby hawk nicknamed “Spunky” that lived near Hancock in Canada, made international news in 2017.

1-7 SLIDES

AADYLoV.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

An eagle and a baby hawk sit in a nest outside Redding.

Lhuillier and her eagle friends have nicknamed this hawk "Tuffy" in tribute to Spunky and the toughness it takes to have survived this long in the nest of a predator. Lhuillier said it seems to have struck a balance between self-advocacy and self-preservation by staying out of the way of its siblings but jumping in for food when the right moment presents itself. 

"It has to be a very feisty little thing to survive in the world of these four much larger birds that could take him out quickly," Lhuillier said. "And there you go – it's surviving." 

In this case, Hancock believes one of the eagle parents probably snatched the hawk baby from its own nest to eat, but then the hawklet's cries – very similar to those of eagle chicks – activated some kind of parental instinct to nurture the creature instead.

Because small animals often don’t survive the airborne voyage in an eagle’s sharp talons, that could explain why – once it got to the nest alive – hearing the hawklet’s pleas altered the eagle’s plans.

“And from that moment on, it’s a member of the family," Hancock said, "not an edible component."

A less likely scenario? The hawk’s mother just accidentally laid one of her eggs in the wrong nest.

Whatever circumstances brought him or her to the eagle nest, by now, the little hawk sometimes even gets fed by its new parents first. The Record Searchlight has agreed not to list the location of the nest because eagle advocates don't want the family to be disturbed by crowds.

Since the hawklet has been watching its adoptive parents mostly catch fish – not a regular part of the hawk diet – it'll have to learn to listen to its inborn nature once it's grown. After a failed attempt at fishing or two, Hancock said, the hawk probably will listen to its instincts and go for birds or small ground animals instead. 

So when could that happen?

Hancock predicts the little hawk will fly for the first time in under a week, though it could be earlier – and by accident – if the chick flaps his or her wings when the wind is just right. The little bird's eagle siblings, on the other hand, have a while before they'll be out exploring. 

Hancock said hawks typically come back to their nests for a little bit as they’re coming into their own, but then they part ways with their families. 

Because he doesn’t want to disrupt the birds by trying to monitor them once they leave the nest, Hancock said, it’ll be a mystery what ultimately happens to the hawk. 

But for Hancock, watching and wondering what's behind this rare behavioural shift has been enough.

“How does a bird go from acknowledging that this is dinner, catching it and it’s dinner, and making that switch to ‘Oh my goodness, I’m going to now nurture this instead of eating it'? From the biological point of view, that’s a huge, huge, huge jump,” Hancock said. “Science and so on is based on observation. You see it happen, you accept it, and figure out the how and why. That’s really why we’re here. You don’t expect it, but it has happened.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/you-dont-go-and-raise-your-dinner-california-eagles-defy-odds-by-taking-in-baby-hawk/ar-AADZlVW

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d50794a56b893b5176116016500a5f41.png

Daniel Sturridge: Former Liverpool striker reunited with missing dog

_107801265_bodyimage.jpg

Daniel Sturridge's dog Lucci has been safely returned to the former England international

Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge says he is "absolutely delighted" after being reunited with his dog Lucci.

Sturridge, 29, offered a £30,000 reward for the return of the Pomeranian, which he said was stolen during a break-in at his house in Los Angeles.

A video and pictures of the dog were tweeted on Wednesday, and Lucci has now been returned to Sturridge.

"I can't believe it," he said in a video message on Instagram.

"I just want to say a big thank you to everyone on social media who supported us and raised awareness. I'm so thankful."

Sturridge did not say if he had paid a reward.

LA Police said they are investigating. No arrests have been made.

_107819126_killafame.jpg

These pictures were tweeted on Wednesday asking if the dog belongs to Sturridge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48940762

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

@nudge, you will love this :whistling:  xD

1f577.png

Hide contents

I'm not afraid of spiders but what the f*** is that thing??? 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Erm...a spider? 

Nah, fucked if I know but it's bloody huge, my guess is it is a spider from Sth America or Africa I guess? before the bloody thing jumped out I thought it would be a small spider, but I jumped a wee bit when I saw that.

1938511368_download(5).png.796b451670b4733a3e19a8e800921cd5.png

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just Googled that photo, it came up as a Red Trapdoor Spider.

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction
  • Upvote 3

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.2552a0dcd02ee98c57a38594418159f1.png

Freckles the manta ray 'doing well' after being freed from hooks

When Freckles the manta ray approached divers, Jake Wilton and Monty Halls, they were shocked to see fishing hooks embedded under her right eye.

More surprising was that she stopped near them, appearing to ask for help.

Jake dived down several times, each time swimming up close and removing the hooks from her skin. Freckles waited patiently for him to finish.

Jake has since checked in on Freckles and told BBC News that she's doing well, and may even have recognised him.

"I went down for a dive [to check up on her] and she stopped and hung around for about 30 seconds above me - it was pretty wild," he said. "They have self-awareness and can recognise individual manta rays, so she could have recognised me."

Freckles - so-named because of a unique pattern of freckles on her belly - is thought to be about 30 years old, making her a venerable old lady in manta ray years.

Jake says it's likely she had been skimming the sea bed to scoop up plankton when the discarded hooks, used in recreational fishing, got caught near her eye.

download.thumb.png.732c03c69a155861e7ac40069a53e0da.png

It's a common problem in Coral Bay, he says, although he adds that "this is the first time we've had one actually approach us and try and get [the hooks] out".

"It's all purely accidental, but a lot of the reefs out in the bay are areas where manta rays visit to be cleaned by little wrasse [fish], to keep them healthy," he explains. "People fish on those cleaning stations, and then accidentally hook the manta rays."

Boats are another big danger for manta rays in the area - most of the injuries the divers see are caused by boat propellers.

Jake says he and his colleagues are trying to push for areas of protection on the reef, "to at least give [the manta rays] some safe spots".

"All of the residential manta rays, who were already established here before tourism, are coming to the end of their lifespan," he says.

"So the biggest worry now is, when these guys go, the new manta rays that are coming in... are they going to call this place home, or are they going to come here and think, 'Oh this isn't a very good place to get cleaned, there are too many boats, too many tourists'?"

Manta rays aren't dangerous - in fact, they're widely considered gentle giants of the sea. Jake adds that they're extremely intelligent and that they have great memories.

"Over their life, they'll have certain areas that they visit at certain times of the year, and they remember those spots and have relationships with other manta rays," he says.

"That's why it's so important to protect those areas because they have to return to them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48981458