talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Championship - The Race for Second Place

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It always disappoints me when a club does tail off a bit after a good cup performance as the two just get automatically linked to each other regardless of everything else, and it fuels the whole demise of the cup in general. There's such a common belief now that you can only do well in the league or the cup. I remember us beating Fulham 4-3 in a ridiculous League Cup game, one that you really think could've taken the energy out of the players ahead of a very tough game that weekend at Watford, and we went and won there 0-3. On the flip side, last season Bournemouth were thumped at Millwall in the FA Cup, people gave the whole focus on the league talk, and they went on their worst top flight run yet.

I get that there are going to be some links in terms of fatigue, possibly cockiness, but I do dislike this culture of the cups being treated like shit.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

You gotta say Fulham deserve this 2nd spot. What a run they've been on. As @Lucas alluded to in the match thread, will be interesting to see if they can handle being chased as opposed to doing the chasing.

I hope they continue the momentum to see them over the line though. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

You gotta say Fulham deserve this 2nd spot. What a run they've been on. As @Lucas alluded to in the match thread, will be interesting to see if they can handle being chased as opposed to doing the chasing.

I hope they continue the momentum to see them over the line though. 

Even though we had an 8 match winning streak, when you have opposition on such ridiculous form as that, there's not really a lot you can do.

I've gotta believe we'll beat Fulham. My head tells me we won't but my heart says we've done it once this season and we've a group of players who are used to beating them/don't fear them. It'd also just make sense that they're unbeatable and we look out of the play offs and then all of sudden we beat them and are knocking on the door.

Alternatively in their current form they may just pump us.

Archived