talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunday 1st April - Chelsea 1-3 Tottenham

football forum

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All top 4 sides have improved immensely since last season.

City took a massive step forward. 

Liverpool took a step forward.

Spurs took a step forward. 

United even took a step forward. 

The Champions of England took steps backward. Mind boggling what goes up in that boardroom. Truly is. 

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Have to say you're making it sound like this is the biggest result in the club's recent history but it's not even their biggest scalp of the season. Chelsea are average and drowning in negativity at the moment. It's a big result to break their duck at Stamford Bridge but it's not like it's THE result that's going to have them taken seriously.

Ok well you tell me when Spurs last won a game against the 'big teams' in the league away? 

The point is, hardly ever. And this is the kind of win that gives them belief to do so more often.

I've not stated it's the club's biggest win in recent history but I am saying it's very significant, especially at a ground they haven't won at for 28 years and against a rival challenger. They hardly ever win games at Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United etc. I don't think it should be downplayed.

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

First things first... Did you get that egg for your missus??? 

I actually had us down for the loss today.. 2-1. When everyone starts banging on about it being 28 years since Spurs beat us at home last ( a game I still remember ) you just know we were due to slip up.. Fair play to Spurs they are starting to get into that ongoing winning mentality now and its been building over the past few seasons.. Not sure with City spending such huge amounts if they will ever get to hit the top of the pile but sure they will be giving it a good go... 

We have just been bang average this season...  A top 6 side playing like a bottom 6 club sometimes and we cant defend for shit... It's almost a guarantee that we will concede at some point in a game  and when we do it's now normally 2 or 3 goals and not just the one.. I was working today which given the result I will consider good fortune.... 

You have to hand it to Pochettino what he has managed to do with Spurs.... makes you wonder what he could achieve if he was to leave them and went on to manage at a decent club.... 

Yes mate, see the off topic thread. I snared that son of a bitch yesterday. One happy missus today.

You make a good point about Chelsea almost guaranteed to concede at some point in a game. Is it any coincidence that none of Chelsea's defenders are first choice options for their country? Therefore, are they good enough?

Azpilicueta aside, I'm not so sure I'd have any of them.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Ok well you tell me when Spurs last won a game against the 'big teams' in the league away? 

The point is, hardly ever. And this is the kind of win that gives them belief to do so more often.

I've not stated it's the club's biggest win in recent history but I am saying it's very significant, especially at a ground they haven't won at for 28 years and against a rival challenger. They hardly ever win games at Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United etc. I don't think it should be downplayed.

You say this as if the other top 6 regularly win away at each other? It's really hard to do - don't see you criticising Liverpool for their atrocious away record at the top 6. 

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

You say this as if the other top 6 regularly win away at each other? It's really hard to do - don't see you criticising Liverpool for their atrocious away record at the top 6. 

But Liverpool beat Chelsea and Arsenal last year? Infact they drew at City, United and Spurs that same season and were undefeated away. Bad example I'd say.

You will obviously refer to this season but clearly I am referencing recent history so we're talking two/three seasons. They have beaten City too at the Etihad 4-1 in recent times so they have showed capabilities they can do it. 

Spurs haven't been doing that. I agree with you, it's hard to do. What I am saying is, before today that Spurs didn't do it enough for anyone to believe they could. Today they finally did.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

But Liverpool beat Chelsea and Arsenal last year? Infact they drew at City, United and Spurs that same season and were undefeated away. Bad example I'd say.

You will obviously refer to this season but clearly I am referencing recent history so we're talking two/three seasons. They have beaten City too at the Etihad 4-1 in recent times so they have showed capabilities they can do it. 

Spurs haven't been doing that. I agree with you, it's hard to do. What I am saying is, before today that Spurs didn't do it enough for anyone to believe they could. Today they finally did.

I'm talking about this season - they have a terrible record away at the top 4. Doesn't mean they're not in a very good position. These away games at the top 4/6 are so overrated. You don't need to win them. They're just a bonus. 

I get what you're trying to say - but that record doesn't concern me. Of course I'd rather we won more of them, but I want to win everything, unfortunately they're extremely tough. 

The Chelsea record went beyond that though - we couldn't even beat them before they sold their soul 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Storts said:

I'm talking about this season - they have a terrible record away at the top 4. Doesn't mean they're not in a very good position. These away games at the top 4/6 are so overrated. You don't need to win them. They're just a bonus. 

I get what you're trying to say - but that record doesn't concern me. Of course I'd rather we won more of them, but I want to win everything, unfortunately they're extremely tough. 

The Chelsea record went beyond that though - we couldn't even beat them before they sold their soul 

Agree with that. Pretty sure Chelsea's record against the rest of the top six wasn't all that last season but they just beat everyone else near enough every time.

Wins in games away against the rest of the league I reckon makes the biggest difference. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I get what you're saying but initially you were like "maybe people will take Tottenham seriously now" when I think, if anyone still doesn't take them seriously after their results against Dortmund and Real Madrid for example earlier this season, then a win against a pretty miserable Chelsea side won't (or shouldn't) be what changes their mind.

• Subscriber

Got to say, I think Chelsea fans who were getting pelters on here earlier on the season for their moaning have been vindicated. They've sensed the recurring theme and it's happened again. It's not quite two years ago, but it's a very miserable season on the whole really.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Dan said:

Got to say, I think Chelsea fans who were getting pelters on here earlier on the season for their moaning have been vindicated. They've sensed the recurring theme and it's happened again. It's not quite two years ago, but it's a very miserable season on the whole really.

Hardly "getting pelters" because I made a tongue in cheek comment about so many of their players being apparently not good enough and one or two others mildly agreed, but yes.

Bigger issue is not the personnel in my eyes, even if some of them are below the average standard for a player winning a Premier League title. I firmly believe that even if they had quality players in every position the way the Chelsea dressing room goes after every title success they'd still have been way off the pace.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Hardly "getting pelters" because I made a tongue in cheek comment about so many of their players being apparently not good enough and one or two others mildly agreed, but yes.

Bigger issue is not the personnel in my eyes, even if some of them are below the average standard for a player winning a Premier League title. I firmly believe that even if they had quality players in every position the way the Chelsea dressing room goes after every title success they'd still have been way off the pace.

I expected us to be there or there about's this season but not in a position to retain the Title and that's more or less how it's panned out for us so not overly pissed at where we have found ourselves... Even before the transfer window it was always going to be an uphill struggle for us as we were back in Europe after having a clutter free run to the Title, no stress, less games and with the likes of City and United still in the process of change we were able to capitalize on the situation.. It was never going to be easy for us this season.. 

Some of this could be put down to a lack of reinforcements after our Title win as Cicero points out our 'cycle' of life at the club is normally the same but for me it's a little more than that.  I would say our squad is easily comparable to the likes of Spurs for example and yet we find ourselves 8 points adrift of them and folding quicker than a bloke with a 7-2 Off-Suit  yesterday shows a lack of steel in the side. That was touted as a 'must win game' if we were going to try and keep in the top 4 places yet we lacked the quality or the 'will' if you like to match them like for like.. I don't see a natural 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck' type leader anywhere in that squad?? 

If you throw in the fact that some players have not really found the level we might have been expecting Morata/Bakayoko for example and add some tactical blunders along the way then it all makes for a bit of a sorry picture compared to what might have been expected. The players we got in just scream of stop gap and not progression but that aside it does not excuse the players for capitulating like they did against the likes of Bournemouth and Watford for example where we are just throwing away points with no fight.. At some point in the 90 minutes you would be expecting Title winning players to be able to raise their game and meet the problem head on and that's just not happening... 

It's inevitable that Conte will be moving on at some point and it will then be a question of who might be coming next and then we will have to start over yet again.. I would question the Hierarchy of the club and their ambitions though, Much as though I don't agree with ridiculous transfer fees for players or OTT wages that is sadly the way the game has gone and the simple truth is if you want to remain competitive on all fronts then you have to dig deep like City & United or get left behind.. No point in everyone upstairs having a cry in their early morning Cognac if they are unable to attract top players on top wages to the club so in this regard Conte does have my sympathy for not having the players he either needs or wanted in the first place.. If on the other hand we want to go down the Arsenal route then we are looking good for the money...   

After going through 500 texts from my "friends" i pretty much cooled down. Didn't mind losing but that second half performance was just giving Spurs the win who in the end deserved it. Pretty much done great in the first to fuck in the second half, just like vs United earlier in the season. The back three has to go, get back to the basics and salvage what can be salvaged. Still the Fa Cup to play for but the top four is gone, this mob just doesn't have it in them.

Congrats to Storts, only Spurs fan i like apart from SuperPav who is basically the same person.

• The title was changed to Sunday 1st April - Chelsea 1-3 Tottenham
  • Subscriber
21 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I couldn't remember who it was in all honesty but I'm sure there were a few. I can get what people mean to an extent but there's a recurring theme at Chelsea and we've seen it unfold once again.

27 minutes ago, Dan said:

I couldn't remember who it was in all honesty but I'm sure there were a few. I can get what people mean to an extent but there's a recurring theme at Chelsea and we've seen it unfold once again.

Yours truly. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived