The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 1 - 16 June

football forum

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

There was an advantage from the hand though and I think those are the rules. It wasn’t voluntary for sure but I think advantage overrules that. 

well no. it wasn't deliberate handball and he hasn't moved his hand to block the ball. Arm was in a natural position.

Just now, Stan said:

well no. it wasn't deliberate handball and he hasn't moved his hand to block the ball. Arm was in a natural position.

It doesn’t have to be a deliberate handball to be a penalty. 

There was an advantage from the hand though and I think those are the rules. It wasn’t voluntary for sure but I think advantage overrules that. 

The orientation for referees is that it´s not a penalty if the balls hit another part of his body before hitting the hand. This was the case, not a penalty.

• Administrator

It doesn’t have to be a deliberate handball to be a penalty. 

no but what I mean is that he hasn't deliberately gone out his way to block the ball. It's bounced up off another part of his body. He can't avoid it. It was ball to hand. Therefore no penalty.

Just now, El Profesor said:

The orientation for referees is that it´s not a penalty if the balls hit another part of his body before hitting the hand. This was the case, not a penalty.

That one I can take. Agree with this assessment and nothing to to with deliberate or not. The rules don’t include a deliberate attempt to save a dangerous situation since a number of years back. But the change of direction from the ball is justified. 

@SirBalon if you intentionally shoot the ball at someones hand, would you give a penalty for it?

That would be very unfair on the defender. If it rebounds to a players hand, how is it his fault?

Handball penalties should be given for intention or carelessness. Being unlucky isn't a reason to give one.

Well, unsurprisingly Argentina look very disjointed. I thought they looked decent for a spell before they scored and then since Iceland equalised they've been pretty dire. 

I don't even know what they can do, they need unburden themselves from the Messi thing, you can't play through one man and shouldn't be looking for him. Players like Di Maria are great in their own right and should be being trusted to do their own thing. I see little hope for Argentina if it stays this way, could even see them going out in the group because Croatia are certainly better.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Well, unsurprisingly Argentina look very disjointed. I thought they looked decent for a spell before they scored and then since Iceland equalised they've been pretty dire. 

I don't even know what they can do, they need unburden themselves from the Messi thing, you can't play through one man and shouldn't be looking for him. Players like Di Maria are great in their own right and should be being trusted to do their own thing. I see little hope for Argentina if it stays this way, could even see them going out in the group because Croatia are certainly better.

Croatia aren't much better than this.

This is probably the weakest or second weakest group though. Its between this and Russia's group.

Just now, Blue said:

@SirBalon if you intentionally shoot the ball at someones hand, would you give a penalty for it?

That would be very unfair on the defender. If it rebounds to a players hand, how is it his fault?

Handball penalties should be given for intention or carelessness. Being unlucky isn't a reason to give one.

It depends on the posture and where the hand is. You can’t prove a player shoots the ball at a rival’s hand but you can determine whether or not the one that handballs it is in an unatural posture (regarding his hand) to use that part of the body as a guard for any dangerous play from the opposition. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Biglia and Mascherano against Iceland just shows tactical cowardice. 

Completely agree. Lo Celso should come in the place of one of the two. Messi having to go back to get the ball works in favor of Iceland. They want him as far as possible from their area and they can even double down on him. Also, is Di María even playing?

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Completely agree. Lo Celso should come in the place of one of the two. Messi having to go back to get the ball works in favor of Iceland. They want him as far as possible from their area and they can even double down on him. Also, is Di María even playing?

What about Armani not playing over Caballero? That to me is like Pogba starting over N'Zonzi. Only reason is due to profile. I'm glad Ricardo Gareca can figure this out.

Just now, Blue said:

What about Armani not playing over Caballero? That to me is like Pogba starting over N'Zonzi. Only reason is due to profile. I'm glad Ricardo Gareca can figure this out.

I think the keeper choice is the least of their worries at this time regarding what’s happening.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think the keeper choice is the least of their worries at this time regarding what’s happening.

No, its a concern. Willy Caballero has been atrocious.

You can often get away with making defensive errors if you have a really good keeper, unfortunately Argentina are making those errors and don't have a backup. Willy Caballero is awful, where as Armani is one of the most underrated goalkeepers in the world.

20 minutes ago, Machado said:

Messi has been good to be honest. He tries to link up but end up looking frustrated as he realises this isn't exactly Barcelona quality he's playing with.

Maybe he should try to go solo a bit more? Younger Messi would.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this.

He's not exactly playing with second division players. Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, all play at the highest level. So, this argument that I've seen countless of times sounds just like an excuse, to wash Messi's image.

Iceland holding their own well. If Argentina want to break Iceland's defense, they need to circulate the ball faster, like Spain did last night. Everything is being done at a slow pace.

Fancy Iceland to score again.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Armani is a better goalkeeper than Caballero, but as @SirBalon mentioned, Argentina have much deeper issues. They don´t have an operational midfield. The thing is a complete mess. Iwobi and Modric must be salivating watching this performance from Argentina.

On the other hand, some credit must be given to Iceland. It must be a pain to play against them. They´re physically so strong and tactically disciplined. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Once again it shows that possession in modern football means nothing, if you can't create!

Possession is a form of defence and also a formula to tire your opponent by making them re calculate positions and run too much. Creation of opportunities isn’t the essence of the final picture in terms of those that use this method (those good enough to do it)... It’s all about the change of pace once in the correct areas to move opponents out of position. 

1 minute ago, ASF said:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this.

He's not exactly playing with second division players. Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, all play at the highest level. So, this argument that I've seen countless of times sounds just like an excuse, to wash Messi's image.

Iceland holding their own well. If Argentina want to break Iceland's defense, they need to circulate the ball faster, like Spain did last night. Everything is being done at a slow pace.

Fancy Iceland to score again.

Mascherano plays in China mate. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived