• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SPFL Match Chat - 2018/19

football forum

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

That's our son off with his wee son to watch the Hearts v Aberdeen game, he was going to get a ticket for the wife but Liz will be shopping with me so she passed on that one, he never asked me because he knows I am a Gers man lol.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, CaaC said:

That's our son off with his wee son to watch the Hearts v Aberdeen game, he was going to get a ticket for the wife but Liz will be shopping with me so she passed on that one, he never asked me because he knows I am a Gers man lol.

Does your son support Hearts or Aberdeen? Did he not fancy following in his father's footsteps?

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Does your son support Hearts or Aberdeen? Did he not fancy following in his father's footsteps?

My son's a Jambo (Hearts) man the same as the wife and our daughter, now get your head around this one, the wife's sister is a Celtic supporter and her hubby is a Rangers man, our son also supports Liverpool in the EPL but our daughter supports United, I would say the wife supports United as that is all she knows the way I rattle on about United.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, CaaC said:

My son's a Jambo (Hearts) man the same as the wife and our daughter, now get your head around this one, the wife's sister is a Celtic supporter and her hubby is a Rangers man, our son also supports Liverpool in the EPL but our daughter supports United, I would say the wife supports United as that is all she knows the way I rattle on about United.

you must hate each other most Saturdays xD 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Stan said:

you must hate each other most Saturdays xD 

Na lol, I have bought my kids to enjoy any sport without the agro attached,  I did a bit of coaching here in Scotland with our son's school footy team when he was 9/10 years old (he is 40 odds now), I did have high hopes for him to do with footy as all dads do, he was a good midfielder and he ended up playing for a local team around here, school team when he left primary then we moved down South (workwise) and that's where it went all apeshit with football.

It started off ok as he went to high school got into the school football team then I got him into a local team when he was 16 but he buggered his leg up and could not play anymore, we ended up moving back here to Scotland and he has been doing a lot of coaching young lads up here for a while now.

Look at this photo taken in 2012 when Hearts played Liverpool in a European Cup tie and Hearts lost 0-1 and my laddie went to the game and I said "Who are you going to support then, your Jambos or Liverpool?" he just smiled and said "Pops, I go to all the Hearts games up here so I will have to support my Jambos, at least I will get to see Liverpool playing", that's my laddie on the right having a friendly natter with a Liverpool supporter before the match.           

430993_10151193269867323_634238566_n.jpg                                                                                                        

On 20/10/2018 at 11:00, CaaC - John said:

I know the feeling haha. I think my Grandad on my mum's side (Celtic man) and my dad (Rangers man) decided to take one each from me and my brother. He's a Rangers fan and I'm Celtic. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
18 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Rangers looked ruthless last weekend. You kind of want them to beat Celtic next time round to keep this league as interesting as possible.

Can't see Celtic blowing it this year and Rangers winning it, as for Hearts, they had a good chance but are going into meltdown mode now as per normal, if Celtic gets knocked out of the Europa which is more than likely they can concentrate on the league then and win it by a mile, Rangers might be better next season in putting in a good challenge to the Hoops dominance in the SPL.

As long as Rangers finish above Hearts I will be happy as our son is a Jambo supporter and it will stop him taking the piss out of me because they finished above my Rangers.

46079731_10156854132157855_3237082847739

After the international break, clubs have a lot of fixtures before the New Year and the subsequent winter break. Aberdeen, for example, are playing every weekend and every midweek in December. It'll be at this time in which the strength in depth will come to be the most crucial factor in the Premiership. This is when the top teams will separate themselves from the rest of the league.

• Subscriber

Celtic 'contribute more to Scottish economy than Commonwealth Games', says a report

1 hour ago | Celtic

Celtic contribute around £165m to Scotland's economy annually - more than the 2014 Commonwealth Games - according to a report commissioned by the club.

The Fraser of Allander Institute economists examined spending by the Scottish champions and their spectators during the 2016-17 season.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell hoped policymakers would take note.

"The economic contribution from football and Celtic, in particular, is consistently undervalued," he said.

The reports states:

• Celtic and their supporters contributed £165m in 2016-17 to the Scottish economy
  • The spending helped support the equivalent of 2,820 full-time equivalent jobs
  • Celtic Park is the seventh most popular visitor destination in Scotland
  • Celtic FC is the 25th strongest brand in world football
  • Celtic's club website ranks 23rd in world football for "hits", with more than one third coming from outside Scotland
  • Almost two million fans attended matches involving Celtic during the 2016-17 season
  • More than 40% of Celtic's day-to-day spending was with Scottish firms

The institute states that other studies have estimated golf tourism's contribution to Scotland's GDP is around £157m each year, while the one-off economic impact of the Commonwealth Games in 2014 to Scotland was valued at £125m.

"While a huge amount of attention is rightly paid to one-off events like the Commonwealth Games and other activities which attract interest to Scotland and Glasgow, football's economic contribution tends to be overlooked - yet it brings people here from around the world," Lawwell said.

He said the report was commissioned to help the Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council recognise that football clubs like Celtic "are significant economic players when it comes to issues like transportation links and tourism promotion" and the report recommends further research to create "integrated" policies.

The report also highlights the particular importance to Glasgow's economy, with more than one million people visiting during the season, mainly from within Scotland.

However, 54% of visitors from outside Scotland stay in paid accommodation.

The report notes Celtic's social contribution, saying that "the work of Celtic FC Foundation is quite unlike standard football club foundations in scale and scope with its focus on improving health, promoting equality, encouraging learning and tackling poverty".

It also notes that Celtic is "the only football club in Scotland with Investor in People accreditation" while "all permanent staff members are paid in excess of the current Living Wage".

Professor Graeme Roy, director at the Fraser of Allander Institute, said the Strathclyde University report "suggests that there is an opportunity to use regular major events - such as Scottish football - as a lever to help support economic development".

• Subscriber

Celtic may turn down tickets for Rangers match at Ibrox

By Chris McLaughlin

BBC Scotland

57 minutes ago | Celtic

Celtic may refuse tickets for next month's meeting with Rangers at Ibrox for security reasons, chief executive Peter Lawwell has told the club's AGM.

Lawwell says the club will advise fans not to attend the game if he feels there are safety concerns.

Rangers cut Celtic's away allocation in May and their city rivals responded by offering away fans fewer tickets for the September meeting at Celtic Park.

Brendan Rodgers' side won that match 1-0 thanks to an Olivier Ntcham goal.

The reigning Scottish Premiership champions are currently top of the division - two points ahead of Steven Gerrard's team, who are third.

Meanwhile, Lawwell responded to a shareholder's question about sectarian and unacceptable singing from Celtic fans by saying such chanting is dragging the club down.

The chief executive said the situation is difficult to manage but agreed with the problem, from a small minority, has deteriorated recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46292679

• The topic was unpinned

Archived