talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

It has that weird sourness that makes the beer taste rotten to me...

Sourness hmmm, I've never tasted that in Veltins. It's funny how we all see and judge beers differently. Matter of taste, regional factors, or whatever. Quite interesting. As long as we all drink the beer we like, it's all good B|

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Sourness hmmm, I've never tasted that in Veltins. It's funny how we all see and judge beers differently. Matter of taste, regional factors, or whatever. Quite interesting. As long as we all drink the beer we like, it's all good B|

Yes, it's like we've all got different tastes or something xD :P 

I'll drink to that. Prost!

I sometimes have a problem similar to that expressed by nudge!  Veltins which I have bought both in the US and drunk from Fass at Lake Garda always tastes differently from that poured fresh in the Arena.  It is hard to find in the UK and again it seems not to travel well - fresh it is as good as most I have come across.  Perhaps one day I will be able to sit with her near the nordkurv and enjoy the freshly brewed Stadium offer! If that happens we will have to arrange different seating if she wants to wear her green scarf 9_9

On 23/10/2019 at 06:10, SchalkeUK said:

I sometimes have a problem similar to that expressed by nudge!  Veltins which I have bought both in the US and drunk from Fass at Lake Garda always tastes differently from that poured fresh in the Arena.  It is hard to find in the UK and again it seems not to travel well - fresh it is as good as most I have come across.  Perhaps one day I will be able to sit with her near the nordkurv and enjoy the freshly brewed Stadium offer! If that happens we will have to arrange different seating if she wants to wear her green scarf 9_9

I have heard from multiple people that Guiness doesn't travel well. I'm not a fan of it here, but it's odd how that can happen with beers. 

• Subscriber

Well a draft beer fresh from the tap will always taste better than the bottled one of the same variety (given the freshness and cleanliness of the lines); that's not even a fair comparison. I never had Veltins on tap; so it might be that it's actually drinkable and just the bottled version sucks.
 Also imported beer isn't necessarily exactly the same beer as the one found in its native country despite of the same brand name. Slightly different recipes and additives are often used for beer that is intended for export. Not to mention the exposure to sunlight and varying temperatures during the trip.
In case of the major brands it is often not even imported but rather brewed under license at your home country meaning it will most likely have a different taste. I hate it.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

To further what nudge said  think of it this way; How different does water taste in different countries/regions. Its impossible to replicate the same taste for all the reasons she mentions and more it is annoying. Im a big fan of the Guinness here anyways personally but of all the draft Guinness around the city I've tried there is one particular hole in the wall Irish bar that has the best pint of it and I cant explain that one but its noticeably better then the rest.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

To further what nudge said  think of it this way; How different does water taste in different countries/regions. Its impossible to replicate the same taste for all the reasons she mentions and more it is annoying. Im a big fan of the Guinness here anyways personally but of all the draft Guinness around the city I've tried there is one particular hole in the wall Irish bar that has the best pint of it and I cant explain that one but its noticeably better then the rest.  

It's a bit different thought right? I'm from Atlanta, home of Coke, and no matter where I go, if I get a Dasani, it's taste the same to me. 

Whereas if I'm out to eat and get a water here, it'll taste VERY different than when I travel to Chattanooga and have some of their water. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's a bit different thought right? I'm from Atlanta, home of Coke, and no matter where I go, if I get a Dasani, it's taste the same to me. 

Whereas if I'm out to eat and get a water here, it'll taste VERY different than when I travel to Chattanooga and have some of their water. 

Dasani and other bottled water is usually filtered using reverse osmosis meaning it removes all impurities and minerals which impact the taste of the water otherwise - so a bottle of Dasani will taste the same everywhere. Water used in beer brewing will have a different taste profile depending on where it comes from due to the different mineral composition hence the variations in the end product. I believe that's what @Viva la FCB meant.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Dasani and other bottled water is usually filtered using reverse osmosis meaning it removes all impurities and minerals which impact the taste of the water otherwise - so a bottle of Dasani will taste the same everywhere. Water used in beer brewing will have a different taste profile depending on where it comes from due to the different mineral composition hence the variations in the end product. I believe that's what @Viva la FCB meant.

Ah - yeah I guess that does make more sense when you compare the water used in beer, and not bottled water in general. 

I also find it funny how people think American Beer is awful, but only look towards the Budweiser and Coors. 

We have a few breweries here that make fantastic beer. Ommegang, Goose Island, Abita, even Sweetwater here in Atlanta makes great beer. There has been an explosion of micro/craft breweries here in the States, and probably my favorite one is Unknown Brewery. 

I'll see if @Spike and @Dr. Gonzo agree as they both live/have lived in the States for some time. 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ah - yeah I guess that does make more sense when you compare the water used in beer, and not bottled water in general. 

I also find it funny how people think American Beer is awful, but only look towards the Budweiser and Coors. 

We have a few breweries here that make fantastic beer. Ommegang, Goose Island, Abita, even Sweetwater here in Atlanta makes great beer. There has been an explosion of micro/craft breweries here in the States, and probably my favorite one is Unknown Brewery. 

I'll see if @Spike and @Dr. Gonzo agree as they both live/have lived in the States for some time. 

San Diego is a beer MECCA. For instance, you listed Goose Island as a fantastic beer - but here it's considered a "meh" beer because the city has so many breweries and is subsequently full of beer snobs.

Just look at this fucking list: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/breweries/san-diego-breweries.aspx

It's also the drink driving capital of California. I'm sure it's related xD

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

San Diego is a beer MECCA. For instance, you listed Goose Island as a fantastic beer - but here it's considered a "meh" beer because the city has so many breweries and is subsequently full of beer snobs.

Just look at this fucking list: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/breweries/san-diego-breweries.aspx

It's also the drink driving capital of California. I'm sure it's related xD

I love trying local breweries whenever I visit. Their is a trappist brewery in New York that I want to visit. 

Columbus, Ohio, also has a toooooooooooooooooonnnnnn of great breweries. 

Oh and my favourite breweries off that list would have to be:

• AleSmith (if you like ales of any sort, check them out - my favourite is a Pale Ale, Alesmith .394; it's got something to do with San Diego legend Tony Gwynn but who cares about the backstory - it's good beer).
  • Karl Strauss (probably SD's first "big" craft beer brewery - all of their shite is great imo. My favourite's an IPA called Aurora Hoppyallis, it's fucking great)
  • Belching Beaver (hilarious name - their "normal" beers aren't my favourite, but they have this peanut butter stout and it's fucking fantastic - forget the specific name of it)
  • Societe
  • Mikkeller

It might be harder to find those away from San Diego though - although maybe not Karl Strauss, I was able to find some of that the last time I was in San Francisco. But it might be harder to find that out of California.

The easier to find San Diego beers would be:

• Stone - probably our biggest brewery; I think they opened a brewhouse in Germany as well.
  • Balast Point - they got bought out by the people that own Modelo, I think. Their quality though, has gone waaaaaay south since they're no longer independent though. But if you like IPAs, Sculpin (and the variants of it) are worth trying.

If I go to the store though, I'm either going to grab myself AleSmith or Karl Strauss 9/10 times though.

But yeah, American beer is only shit if you assume that Americans only drink Budweiser, Coors, and Miller. But the craft beer scene in America is otherworldly - Americans like beer and they like things that taste good, so America's got some really great beer.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm probably in the minority that doesn't really like craft beers. They tend to have overpowering flavour profiles which I don't like.

A lot of them don't. I used to feel the same way until I moved here and everyone was drinking craft beer at every bar and I figured "fuck it, I'll try one." A lot of these breweries I think are aware of that sort of perception of craft beer - so they usually have a few beers that are meant to taste a bit "normal."

If you ever come to San Diego, you owe it to yourself to try some of the fucking beer here - it's ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Next time I'm in SD I might ask for some recommendations and do a pub crawl. 

You're right about the taste though, every micro-brewery seems to have an IPA, Stout, and an Ale, and then all of their 'craft' beers. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Eco said:

Next time I'm in SD I might ask for some recommendations and do a pub crawl. 

You're right about the taste though, every micro-brewery seems to have an IPA, Stout, and an Ale, and then all of their 'craft' beers. 

If I'm around let's get drunk as fuck mate

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A lot of them don't. I used to feel the same way until I moved here and everyone was drinking craft beer at every bar and I figured "fuck it, I'll try one." A lot of these breweries I think are aware of that sort of perception of craft beer - so they usually have a few beers that are meant to taste a bit "normal."

If you ever come to San Diego, you owe it to yourself to try some of the fucking beer here - it's ridiculous.

Oh I'd definitely would - I'm pretty open to new experiences and even more so when it comes to beer xD Although I have to say that me ever coming to San Diego is extremely unlikely though.

Just now, nudge said:

Oh I'd definitely would - I'm pretty open to new experiences and even more so when it comes to beer xD Although I have to say that me ever coming to San Diego is extremely unlikely though.

Well if you do, let me know and we will get drunk as fuck :drunk:

1 minute ago, nudge said:

That just made the odds of me ever coming to San Diego considerably higher xD 

Apparently I can't give out any more rep thingies anymore today. So please imagine that I've just upvoted or given the heart rep thing to that post xD

• Haha 1