talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

8 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Never heard or saw any of that O.o

They were quite popular in the 70'*s and at the begin of the 80's. Almost vanished from market in the end of the 80's, when the only Groschenromane that were still around were some Arztromane. Remember the first Lassiter I bought was 2 Groschen.xD

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Haha 2

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

They were quite popular in the 70'*s and at the begin of the 80's. Almost vanished from market in the end of the 80's, when the only Groschenromane that were still around were some Arztromane. Remember the first Lassiter I bought was 2 Groschen.xD

I bought them regularly in the late 90s - early 2000s. Bastei Verlag still sells 22 million copies each year... :P Moewig Verlag still publishes Perry Rhodan every week. I picked up a new issue of Maddrax in the magazine kiosk at Frankfurt Airport just three months ago :D But yeah, I think it's a bit of a niche these days...

• Wow 1

35 minutes ago, nudge said:

For real? 

The name, Perry Rhodan, rings a bell. 

As for Groschenromane. My mother used to read them back in the day when I was younger. She always got them from my aunt. Jude Deveraux or some shit. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

The name, Perry Rhodan, rings a bell. 

As for Groschenromane. My mother used to read them back in the day when I was younger. She always got them from my aunt. Jude Deveraux or some shit. 

That's probably because there was a movie released a few years ago, and it was absolutely horrific xD Don't watch it xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Same. Love the artwork of the covers though. 

I love retro cover art. It's crazy to see how it changed throughout the years.

The original cover of the very first issue (1961):

PR0001.jpg

The cover of one of the newest issues (2021):

PR3127.jpg

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

I love retro cover art. It's crazy to see how it changed throughout the years.

The original cover of the very first issue (1961):

PR0001.jpg

The cover of one of the newest issues (2021):

PR3127.jpg

It seriously reminds me of Back to the Future. xD

51EeDrZZq8L.jpg

51cDyC2Dq4L.jpg

• Haha 2

@Rucksackfranzose - am I missing something here?

I went on ESPN+ (local provider of Bundesliga) and they had 'classic' matches from years past. The first one on the list included your truly, plus my wife's team (she lived in Essen for a year) from the 1976-77 season

For some reason it's less than 50 minutes long...

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.32.25 PM.png

7 hours ago, nudge said:

A bit random - got first 49 issues of Perry Rhodan today (1. Zyklus: Die Dritte Macht). 

Perry-Rhodan-Blaub%C3%A4nde-123456-1-Zyk

Can't believe the series are still ongoing and the most recent issue (Band 3123) has been published just yesterday :7_sweat_smile: That's crazy, it's been going for over 60 years now! 

I must admit I have always had a soft spot for pulp magazines and dime novels :D Does anyone else still read any Romanhefte? Or which ones did you use to read, if any? I used to love G. F. Unger's western stories and John Sinclair...

I would have loved something like that when I was kid, but we didn't really have anything like it that I'm aware of. What age group is the intended audience? I'm thinking early teens by the look of it?

1 hour ago, Eco said:

@Rucksackfranzose - am I missing something here?

I went on ESPN+ (local provider of Bundesliga) and they had 'classic' matches from years past. The first one on the list included your truly, plus my wife's team (she lived in Essen for a year) from the 1976-77 season

For some reason it's less than 50 minutes long...

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.32.25 PM.png

Ah, @Rucksackfranzose what a cracking match that was! RW won 1-0 thanks to a horrid backpass from some dude with a great 'stache and short shorts, and then the RW player with a similar style in facial hair and shorts just rifled it home.

Looking back, this was the year that RW was relegated from the Bundesliga, and it was their last year since being in the top division.

No idea why it's a classic, but hell, it was fun to watch.

5 hours ago, Eco said:

Ah, @Rucksackfranzose what a cracking match that was! RW won 1-0 thanks to a horrid backpass from some dude with a great 'stache and short shorts, and then the RW player with a similar style in facial hair and shorts just rifled it home.

Looking back, this was the year that RW was relegated from the Bundesliga, and it was their last year since being in the top division.

No idea why it's a classic, but hell, it was fun to watch.

Would like to say they called it classic because they knew how heated the rivalry between RWE and FCS in the 80's and early 90's was, when both teams played each other more regurlarly in 2.Liga . Since their a non-German broadcaster, I'd guess they called it a classic because a youtube summary of this match, which has the same length, exists, though.xD

PS: That part with the heated rivalry was no invention.:)

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Eco said:

I would have loved something like that when I was kid, but we didn't really have anything like it that I'm aware of. What age group is the intended audience? I'm thinking early teens by the look of it?

The target audience is pretty wide, to be honest. Mostly teens, young adults and adults, I'd say, or pretty much anyone with interest in space, physics, technology, large-scale politics, etc. It's trivial literature, but it has enough complexity and while early teens could read it, I think a lot of stuff would fly well over their heads. Interestingly, the average reader of Perry Rhodan is over 45 years old, according to a survey a few years ago - I think the main reason for it are those readers who got into it in their youth, and continued reading for decades. 

As for this format of literature in general, there's something for pretty much any age group. Detectives, spies, agents, western stories of cowboys and Indians, scifi and space opera, adventure, ghost stories, horror, love stories, romance, erotica, Heimat novels, and so on. It surely isn't intellectual or high quality literature, but it can be great entertainment. I personally used to read them mostly when travelling, as the format is very suitable for that, and it helps to pass the time in flight or on train while not having to think too much, so also a good option if you're tired or sleepy :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Would like to say they called it classic because they knew how heated the rivalry between RWE and FCS in the 80's and early 90's was, when both teams played each other more regurlarly in 2.Liga . Since their a non-German broadcaster, I'd guess they called it a classic because a youtube summary of this match, which has the same length, exists, though.xD

PS: That part with the heated rivalry was no invention.:)

Really? I was unaware their was a rivalry between the two sides. Wiki told me about a rivalry with Schalke, though 

Pulp comic books were all the rage back in the 1930's-1940's USA.  I remember when I got into sci-fi and fantasy that I started collecting used copies that I found in old flea markets.  Still have a few lying around in the basement now.  

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Coma said:

Pulp comic books were all the rage back in the 1930's-1940's USA.  I remember when I got into sci-fi and fantasy that I started collecting used copies that I found in old flea markets.  Still have a few lying around in the basement now.  

Any particular series? I don't know about comics, but Astounding Stories of SuperScience and Amazing Stories were quality magazines of sci-fi stories. 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Any particular series? I don't know about comics, but Astounding Stories of SuperScience and Amazing Stories were quality magazines of sci-fi stories. 

Weird Tales was very popular and the one I'm most familiar with.  I discovered writers like Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Fritz Leiber from that publication.

• Upvote 1