talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Officials are embarrassing, a controlled first half with the kids. Hopefully the first team break the deadlock and put us in a good position ahead of Porto.

I'm actually hoping he gives these 90 minutes more or less then saves the first team to get the same tomorrow. This is a much changed Lille side apparently and we've been the better side so these should be able to get the job done tonight.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I'll have a look when I'm on my laptop, although @Stan is good at fishing up .gifs.

It wasn't exactly a comedy miss, just a spot kick that was ballooned over the bar. Like that Ramos penalty but not as funny.

can't find Niasse's, so let's make do with Sergio Ramos missing his anyway :D 

Image result for sergio ramos penalty gif

DecimalFaithfulAngwantibo-max-1mb.gif

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I'll have a look when I'm on my laptop, although @Stan is good at fishing up .gifs.

It wasn't exactly a comedy miss, just a spot kick that was ballooned over the bar. Like that Ramos penalty but not as funny.

Did he turn around with that massive grin on his face after?

• Subscriber

That was absolutely pathetic. I know it's only pre season but of the players on the pitch only Sigurdsson is guaranteed a start at the moment and the rest of them should be making sure they're in three places at once to impress the manager. Nobody stepping up.

I said last season that I was worried about how we looked in pre season but tried not to read too much into it. We look just as bad this time around so it needs sorting. We could do with spending at least half a match playing at Premier League intensity before we turn up to Wolves expecting to do it for 90 minutes. You can't just go meh it's only pre season then expect to be able to switch it on.

• Subscriber

Last five minutes have been better. Should have been a pen. I mean it's Russian commentary and you couldn't really tell from the replays but I want to see us score in one of these bastard friendlies so stone wall pen.

• Subscriber

9 changes, Richarlison and Gueye on amongst them.

Sandro stays on again. I don't understand why he's played seemingly every minute of pre season whereas hardly anyone else has had over 45 minutes more than once. In the shop window? Still having a good look at him? God knows. We better at least win this half now.

• Subscriber

Well that was an absolute disgrace. I don't know which is worse, the incompetence or how unarsed all of our players are. I'm going to go with the latter.

Losing a pre season friendly doesn't matter a fucking jot but under a new manager especially, I expect to see Everton players go out on the pitch and put a shift in in pre season. If stuff doesn't come off and you get unlucky and lose a friendly 3-0 thats fine as long as the players are out there trying to get involved and get on the ball to improve their match sharpness, talk to each other to work on their defensive shapes, run up and down the pitch to get the match fitness on the go and I'm just not seeing that from so many players.

What I can see is the same usual suspects jogging around in second gear because they don't actually give a shit about being at the forefront of Silva's thoughts as long as they get paid and squad players and youngsters who are terrified of touching the ball because they either know they aren't good enough to do anything with it or they don't have the bottle to find out if they're good enough or not.

You can call this a massive overreaction to a friendly match but you wouldn't if you'd seen that performance (and the two games against Lille and Porto). I'd be interested to get the perspective of @roversgirl or @JOSHBRFC on the off chance you were at the game or managed to watch it another way. Last year I was slightly worried about us not looking good in any of our pre season games or the two qualifying legs against Ruzomberok but wrote it off to pre season rust and assumed it would be alright when the season starts. This year I'm worried again and I hope the club don't shrug it off. We need players in.

We might be under a new regime but the same attitude problems stink in that dressing room. The likes of Mirallas, Schneiderlin and Williams have already seen off multiple managers and I can't be arsed with us blaming another manager when we aren't good enough to get anywhere near the top six. The players on the pitch playing like AIDs under different managers are the common denominator to the bad performances. Unless he's taking us down Silva needs several transfer windows to fundamentally change and rebuild this squad along with Marcel Brands.

We can forget about top six finishes for the next two seasons minimum anyway. I don't think many of our fans would disagree but if they do they need to give their heads a shake and look at the fact that there probably isn't a single Everton player apart from maybe Pickford who any of the top six would like to have off us to play in their first team so expecting us to get anywhere near them in the league is frankly retarded.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well that was an absolute disgrace. I don't know which is worse, the incompetence or how unarsed all of our players are. I'm going to go with the latter.

Losing a pre season friendly doesn't matter a fucking jot but under a new manager especially, I expect to see Everton players go out on the pitch and put a shift in in pre season. If stuff doesn't come off and you get unlucky and lose a friendly 3-0 thats fine as long as the players are out there trying to get involved and get on the ball to improve their match sharpness, talk to each other to work on their defensive shapes, run up and down the pitch to get the match fitness on the go and I'm just not seeing that from so many players.

What I can see is the same usual suspects jogging around in second gear because they don't actually give a shit about being at the forefront of Silva's thoughts as long as they get paid and squad players and youngsters who are terrified of touching the ball because they either know they aren't good enough to do anything with it or they don't have the bottle to find out if they're good enough or not.

You can call this a massive overreaction to a friendly match but you wouldn't if you'd seen that performance (and the two games against Lille and Porto). I'd be interested to get the perspective of @roversgirl or @JOSHBRFC on the off chance you were at the game or managed to watch it another way. Last year I was slightly worried about us not looking good in any of our pre season games or the two qualifying legs against Ruzomberok but wrote it off to pre season rust and assumed it would be alright when the season starts. This year I'm worried again and I hope the club don't shrug it off. We need players in.

We might be under a new regime but the same attitude problems stink in that dressing room. The likes of Mirallas, Schneiderlin and Williams have already seen off multiple managers and I can't be arsed with us blaming another manager when we aren't good enough to get anywhere near the top six. The players on the pitch playing like AIDs under different managers are the common denominator to the bad performances. Unless he's taking us down Silva needs several transfer windows to fundamentally change and rebuild this squad along with Marcel Brands.

We can forget about top six finishes for the next two seasons minimum anyway. I don't think many of our fans would disagree but if they do they need to give their heads a shake and look at the fact that there probably isn't a single Everton player apart from maybe Pickford who any of the top six would like to have off us to play in their first team so expecting us to get anywhere near them in the league is frankly retarded.

Alright, off the bat I am going to stick with what I've bolded in what you said. I think this is a massive overreaction to a friendly match. It's a friendly, don't forget that. And you've just brought a new manager in, I wouldn't expect things to ideally get off to a great start. I mean, it's great for you if it does. But it's not the strangest thing to ever happen, to have a new manager come in to a side that's had a really disappointing season and still has a fairly unbalanced squad and have them try to right the ship. I'd advocate some patience tbh.

However, I'm not going to discount ANY of what you said. While it's still just pre-season... you raise all valid points and valid concerns that any fan would have of their club. And you're rightly concerned. BUT I wouldn't rule out anything over the course of the season and especially the next season.

Look mate, it's a friendly match, 90% of what's going on out there on the pitch is just so the players are fit for the start of the season. The rest of it is getting teammates to gel with each other and be familiar with each other and letting Silva figure out his new squad out. Obviously it's concerning if you've got usual suspects not giving a fuck around the pitch. But Silva needs to have a look at his players and find out if they can play the way he wants them to, if they're shite it could mean he's got to change up his tactics for the coming season until he's got something ready. He's also got to see what players he trusts, he's not going to know who to not trust until players let him down. And what better time to have players let him down than in pre-season.

But I agree with you that players that routinely don't perform under multiple managers need to be sacked the fuck off ASAP by Silva & Brands. A bigger mistake next season if Everton have another season that falls below expectations would be to make another management change and keep the squad largely the same. At this point it's clear that the Everton side needs rejuvenation. And I speak from experience with Liverpool when I say... it's not always a quick and easy process getting rid of deadwood and bringing in players that are the caliber you want/need them to be.

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo fair post but to be clear, the majority of that isn't really in reaction to the friendly match, it's more the case that a shite performance tonight has reminded me of a lot of the shite we saw last season and given me reason to complain about it again because I pretty much gave up halfway through last season. Bear in mind that since we finished 8th in a league that was probably the most short of quality that I've ever seen, we've got rid of Funes Mori and Klaassen probably, neither of whom were responsible for what happened to us last season, and brought in one player who we don't know how will turn out. Much more change needed and it doesn't have to all be done this transfer window by any means but it would be nice to see a bit more progress. We literally don't have a single centre half who I'd be happy to see line-up against Wolves in just over two weeks apart from possibly Holgate.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

@Dr. Gonzo fair post but to be clear, the majority of that isn't really in reaction to the friendly match, it's more the case that a shite performance tonight has reminded me of a lot of the shite we saw last season and given me reason to complain about it again because I pretty much gave up halfway through last season. Bear in mind that since we finished 8th in a league that was probably the most short of quality that I've ever seen, we've got rid of Funes Mori and Klaassen probably, neither of whom were responsible for what happened to us last season, and brought in one player who we don't know how will turn out. Much more change needed and it doesn't have to all be done this transfer window by any means but it would be nice to see a bit more progress. We literally don't have a single centre half who I'd be happy to see line-up against Wolves in just over two weeks apart from possibly Holgate.

Yeah, I'm not saying you're wrong or your frustrations are misplaced. Just that my initial reaction would be "let's be patient" - at least it would be if I was an Everton fan. But I trust your opinion on your club - I've got family members who are blueshites… but I'd still trust what you or @Cannabis say about Everton over them.