talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

football forum

220px-Everton_FC_logo.svg.png

Everton F.C. is a football club in LiverpoolEngland, that currently competes in the Premier League, the top flight of English football. The club have competed in the top division for a record 114 seasons and won the League Championship nine times, and the FA Cup five times.

Formed in 1878, Everton were founding members of The Football League in 1888 and won their first League Championship two seasons later. Following four League Championship and two FA Cup wins, Everton experienced a lull in the immediate post World War Two period, until a revival in the 1960s, which saw the club win two League Championships and an FA Cup. The mid-1980s represented their most recent period of sustained success, with two League Championships, an FA Cup, and the 1985 European Cup Winners' Cup. The club's most recent major trophy was the 1995 FA Cup.

All discussion relating to Everton that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I remember thinking how incredibly inconsistent Lukaku is, then banged in 10 goals in a month. Barkley not quite reaching the heights has in my opinion helped them retain him as well. If he had a truly breakout season though, he might be off.

The thing with Lukaku is that he can be absolutely terrible for a significant run of games, but he still manages to score goals. Every single season he's near the top of the goalscoring charts. 

Barkley, well, I just don't rate him. He has about 5 good games a season. Never got all the fuss about him and if I was the manager of Everton and got a £20m+ offer for him, I'd snatch their hand off. 

39 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Heh, jokes aside whether we like it or not 55,000 is enough for where we are at the moment. I'd rather us fill that to the brim than move into a 100,000 seater and get mocked for having empty seats. With the money and vision for the club that Farhad Moshiri has there is a real sense of belief that we are going places and that in 10-20 years we can be an established European heavy-weight. 

For now though, it's about baby-steps. It's about tying our best players down to contracts, spending enough money to be competitive on the pitch and pumping money into the right areas off it to keep us breathing down the neck of the top teams around us.

Basically the same as us mate but I'd say we are probably a few years ahead of you lot at this stage. 

Certainly exciting times for the blue shite though!

I'd say 55k with room for expanding is the way to go at the moment, as you say it is about baby steps. We have sold out every home game in the league this season and I've never known it to be more difficult to get tickets both home and away with people scrapping over spares! Haha.

The whole club has a real feeling of excitement and positivity. I just hope this continues for the rest of the season and takes us to Europe. Fairly big game on that front today against a team who recently we struggle against a bit at Goodison. 

Edited by EvertonGirl

18 hours ago, Cannabis said:

The Kings Dock is my preferred choice because of the destination and how it would look within the city. It's been hinted by the architect running the project and the Mayor of Liverpool that this is indeed the site so here's to hoping it's all true. 

I'd love an enclosed stadium to really get the atmosphere going, something modelled like the Allianz would be a dream.

I think Kings Dock is off the table now, with the Echo arena have being built there. The area they're looking at is the Bramley-Moore dock just north of what we'd consider the city centre to be and nearby the Stanley Dock tobacco warehouse. If this goes ahead, which it sounds like it will, it'll be a major boost for regeneration in the area and potentially expand the city centre northwards by just under a mile.

No other site would be accepted now and it's good to see the club pushing for Bramley-Moore. Announcement can't be too far away but I understand caution with how the other attempted moves have panned out. 

Dreading that last game at Goodison. 

Lukaku not signing a new contract apparently. He's not a player who actually improves the side as a whole (by that I mean the side is very much engineered to suit him, he scores but he's not good enough to deserve a side being set up like that for me), get 50mill plus in the summer and you're laughing.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Bad timing for this to come out. Mino isn't where he is in life without doing it, I suppose. 

He was never staying here for the rest of his career. He's ready for CL football right now and we're a long way off in "the project" for him to wait around. 

It's bad news for us though. He's been fantastic for us from the moment he came in and is definitely getting better. We'll struggle to replace the goals. 

Hopefully they come to an agreement in a few weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Coleman's leg shattered by Neil Taylor in the Ireland Wales match tonight, be out for at least a year I should think. Shit luck to get two in a season following Bolasie as well. Wish him well.

On a side note, McCarthy injured in the warm up. Time for him to sod off to somewhere like West Brom now, has had about 2 good performances for us in the last 18 months, constantly injured but still goes on international duty for some reason, can't be dealing with it. 

Suppose you could count Besic in that as well, I reckon he'd have featured a lot under Koeman. 

Agree on McCarthy, get rid. We could get our money back on him. 

Coleman injury is bad news, got to invest in a right back in the summer and play Holgate there for the remainder. Unless Jonjoe Kenny steps up.