talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Embarrassing defending 

That was arguably the least embarrassing goal of the three. The last one was certainly worse.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I'm not saying you're wrong or your frustrations are misplaced. Just that my initial reaction would be "let's be patient" - at least it would be if I was an Everton fan. But I trust your opinion on your club - I've got family members who are blueshites… but I'd still trust what you or @Cannabis say about Everton over them.

I am patient with the manager and the new blood including Brands and Moshiri but I have no patience for players getting chance after chance because they keep getting managers sacked and each new manager gives them a fresh start and they get away with it for another 6 months until the next transfer window while they take home £100,000 a week. It just boils your piss to see the cycle start again with some players.

I'm sure we will come good eventually but there's not half a lot of poison in our squad that's easy to forget about when there's so much optimism and positive PR surrounding the new manager and DoF. 

I went and I was very happy with what I saw from a Rovers perspective. We only made one sub whereas Everton pretty much had two teams playing, both of which should be beating us comfortably. Despite going in at half time 2-0 up when Everton brought on the experienced and expensive signings they did I thought we'd do well to hold on. They missed some chances second half but so did we. I was really impressed by our fitness and tactical approach throughout the game, and we also played some nice football at times. Very encouraging signs for the season! As for Everton, in comparison to seeing Liverpool at Ewood just a week earlier the difference in quality is huge. We just about competed with Liverpool in the first half but in the second they blew us away. I'd worry about the ageing defence (and just generally shit defence in relation to Ashley Williams) and lack of consistent goalscorer. Richarlison looked bright when he came on but he was against an inexperienced full back who has mainly played at League One level and last season for Watford bar a fantastic opening 10 games went missing for the rest of the season.

Where are Lookman, Walcott and Holgate??

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, roversgirl said:

I went and I was very happy with what I saw from a Rovers perspective. We only made one sub whereas Everton pretty much had two teams playing, both of which should be beating us comfortably. Despite going in at half time 2-0 up when Everton brought on the experienced and expensive signings they did I thought we'd do well to hold on. They missed some chances second half but so did we. I was really impressed by our fitness and tactical approach throughout the game, and we also played some nice football at times. Very encouraging signs for the season! As for Everton, in comparison to seeing Liverpool at Ewood just a week earlier the difference in quality is huge. We just about competed with Liverpool in the first half but in the second they blew us away. I'd worry about the ageing defence (and just generally shit defence in relation to Ashley Williams) and lack of consistent goalscorer. Richarlison looked bright when he came on but he was against an inexperienced full back who has mainly played at League One level and last season for Watford bar a fantastic opening 10 games went missing for the rest of the season.

Where are Lookman, Walcott and Holgate??

Lookman is presumably going to Leipzig so not in the squad.

• Subscriber

Walcott is officially carrying a knock, as is Lookman. However there are rumours that Lookman is left out because he's joining Leipzig (seems likely) and that Walcott has a rift with Silva already (seems unlikely). Holgate apparently hasn't been given a squad number so no idea what's going on there. He's our best centre back at the club embarrassingly enough.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Silva to be sacked by November? 

We deserve to be relegated if that happens again. He needs time to clean up Ron and Steve's dreadful mess. Only justifiable to sack him when we get to about February and there's a serious risk of relegation.

• Subscriber

2-0 down to a bang average French side after 35 minutes. This is our full strength team. The season starts in exactly two weeks. But it's only pre season so who cares.

I'd love to think they'll turn up at Wolves in two weeks and completely ignore the entire season of evidence we were provided with last season that they won't but I can't because this team is fucking pathetic.

• Subscriber

4-1 xD as if we haven't signed a fucking centre half yet. I'm a better defender than Michael Keane and Jagielka is 37 it's not like the club haven't had years of warning that he's going to be over the hill come 2018. Can't be that hard to find a couple of centre backs that can stand in position, avoid passing the ball directly to pacey opposition attackers and don't have the turning circle of a cruise liner. Really is painful to watch.

• Subscriber
On 26/07/2018 at 21:47, RandoEFC said:

Well that was an absolute disgrace. I don't know which is worse, the incompetence or how unarsed all of our players are. I'm going to go with the latter.

Losing a pre season friendly doesn't matter a fucking jot but under a new manager especially, I expect to see Everton players go out on the pitch and put a shift in in pre season. If stuff doesn't come off and you get unlucky and lose a friendly 3-0 thats fine as long as the players are out there trying to get involved and get on the ball to improve their match sharpness, talk to each other to work on their defensive shapes, run up and down the pitch to get the match fitness on the go and I'm just not seeing that from so many players.

What I can see is the same usual suspects jogging around in second gear because they don't actually give a shit about being at the forefront of Silva's thoughts as long as they get paid and squad players and youngsters who are terrified of touching the ball because they either know they aren't good enough to do anything with it or they don't have the bottle to find out if they're good enough or not.

You can call this a massive overreaction to a friendly match but you wouldn't if you'd seen that performance (and the two games against Lille and Porto). I'd be interested to get the perspective of @roversgirl or @JOSHBRFC on the off chance you were at the game or managed to watch it another way. 

Yes mate I was at the game. My mate also came who is an Everton fan and he was upset to say the least. We played brilliant though to be fair and Dack ran the show. 

Silva still has a lot of work to do it’s clear to see. It was amusing watching him go mad at anyone who passed the ball backwards. 

I struggled to find any positives from your performance to be honest. Your second team got beat 2-0 in the first half and then more or less your first team still got beat in the 2nd half. 

Edited by JOSHBRFC
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Shame about Vlasic who looked good when he joined but seemed to get worse with every game he played. Sums up the Walsh/Koeman approach. Oh he played well against us in a Europa League game we should probably buy him. Embarrassing.

Williams another shite signing who was passable for about 6 months but is now a 33 year old eating up at least 80k a week with multiple years left on his contract. Superb long term planning from old Ron and Steve.

Mirallas being around the club is also their responsibility. Gave the lad a five year contract because why?

Martina also a laughable signing. Couldn't make Southampton's bench so an absolute disgrace he ended up starting a dozen games for Everton last season after we spent all that money and ended up with him as our second choice left back. This one sort of gets a pass as he was a free transfer and the lad did okay on occasion but nowhere near good enough for Everton.

It's amazing that some of our fans expect Brands and Silva to just be able to come in and start sorting this out in one or two transfer windows. People that support other clubs and even some Everton fans don't realise just what a good job Walsh and Koeman managed to do in three transfer windows of fucking the club for the next several years. The bad signings last summer were bad enough but look at some of the contracts handed out to average or shite players and it just beggars belief that these two were ever allowed to have so much control over finances.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Schneiderlin, Keane and Jagielka need replacing from today's line-up. Obviously Pickford will play instead of Stekelenburg. Hopefully Holgate will replace one of the centre backs and a new signing will partner him but if those three are anywhere near our team for more than a bit part role this season we will struggle to get 7th.

The rest I thought played pretty well. However their backup options (Sandro, Davies, Calvert-Lewin, Dowell, Lookman) looked very limited in their admittedly short time on the field. I think nearly all of these players have reached an age where they have to show that they're good enough this season or we have to accept that they probably need moving on. There isn't room for sentimentality in a 25 man squad if you want to be serious about challenging the top six. One of the reasons for bringing in a real Director of Football and a manager like Silva is that it allows him to actually be a coach, and he's supposed to be good at it, so these young lads have no more excuses for stalling in their development this season.

Today was better than the rest of pre season but it's still a massive concern that we conceded 4 against Rennes, 3 against Blackburn and 3 against Valencia that have all been down to poor defending, individual or team. Not a single one of those goals could be put down to pre season rust or players getting used to each other. It is a problem which we need to solve by 5pm Thursday.