• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

North American Bid for 2026

Recommended Posts

I just saw this, and it makes no sense to me. Which county(s) would get the automatic bids? Why include Mexico?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joint bids are pointless. It's all about the opening ceremony and the final where hosting prestige is in question. I doubt Mexico would want to be involved with the US as things stand right now and anyway... How would the fans get past Trump's wall? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 games for the USA, 10 games for Mexico and 10 games for Canada. Seems FIFA, because of it being the first expanded World Cup and their elections in 2019, that they'll look to straight out award them the competition to avoid any mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the knock outs onward all the games will be played in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've basically just jumped on the US bid and been fortunate to get some games. There is no way the US would allow the final to be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would prefer the Aus+NZ joint bid that's been rumoured if you have to have a joint bid. Three countries is overkill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cannabis said:

Three countries is mental, two should be the limit really. An Australian/New Zealand competition would be nice providing Australia don't do another embarrassing bid like the last time.

I'm just thinking how a US/Mexico/Canada World Cup would look in terms of qualifying,  if the hosts all get a free pass would it not screw over the rest of the continent?

 

With the new 7 spots CONCACAF are getting, they would likely all qualify anyway. And any teams they displace would be entirely in too deep in the World Cup anyway. If you use Elo rankings, Martinique would only be 2 positions away from qualifying. Jamaica, the 79th best team in world football, would be qualifying. I don't think the CONCACAF qualifying spots need to be worried about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an absolute farce the North American qualifying would be for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The North American bid actually has an 'official' competitor, but I feel it's probably more than over anyway.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Surely Australasia should get to host a world cup. I think Australia would do a great.iob

I think they would be great, but FIFA would look at the television rights that it would cost them. People aren't going to pay as much for it when kickoffs won't be in prime time for Europe. Sad, but probably true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Surely Australasia should get to host a world cup. I think Australia would do a great.iob

No thanks. I've already gone over why I don't want Australia hosting the world cup.

  • Centralised population. Most of the country is on the east-coast as are most of the large stadiums, so the WC would be limited to Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. This is unfair to people in Perth and Adelaide, and expecting fans to travel to those cities is also unfair. 
  • Small stadiums and very few of them. This is incredibly problematic given that the WC coincides with NRL and AFL, especially with the expanded WC format.
  • Competition and resistance from AFL and NRL. They will not under any circumstance want the WC cutting in on their territory. 
  • Weak Australian dollar. It isn't economically wise or feasible a the moment, especially for a sport that is at best background noise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

No thanks. I've already gone over why I don't want Australia hosting the world cup.

  • Centralised population. Most of the country is on the east-coast as are most of the large stadiums, so the WC would be limited to Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. This is unfair to people in Perth and Adelaide, and expecting fans to travel to those cities is also unfair. 
  • Small stadiums and very few of them. This is incredibly problematic given that the WC coincides with NRL and AFL, especially with the expanded WC format.
  • Competition and resistance from AFL and NRL. They will not under any circumstance want the WC cutting in on their territory. 
  • Weak Australian dollar. It isn't economically wise or feasible a the moment, especially for a sport that is at best background noise. 

Well it's nearer than another continent mate :D I don't think any of these things should definitely rule them out but I get what you mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well it's nearer than another continent mate :D I don't think any of these things should definitely rule them out but I get what you mean. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the WC back home but I don't think it's necessarily wise from a pragmatic view. Don't forget Australia is gigantic, nearly the same size as the USA (and NZ is a lot further away than people realise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the WC back home but I don't think it's necessarily wise from a pragmatic view. Don't forget Australia is gigantic, nearly the same size as the USA (and NZ is a lot further away than people realise).

Well Russias not small ha ha. Obviously you know a lot more about it than me. I just think they would do a good job. They normally do with sporting events. Plus crowds would probably be very good. Fans could double it up as a holiday. A lot safer than Russia and Brazil. How far is it to new Zealand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Well Russias not small ha ha. Obviously you know a lot more about it than me. I just think they would do a good job. They normally do with sporting events. Plus crowds would probably be very good. Fans could double it up as a holiday. A lot safer than Russia and Brazil. How far is it to new Zealand?

Brisbane to Wellington is about four hours flight. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Russia either, or Qatar, definitely above those nations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2017 at 10:17 PM, SirBalon said:

Joint bids are pointless. It's all about the opening ceremony and the final where hosting prestige is in question. I doubt Mexico would want to be involved with the US as things stand right now and anyway... How would the fans get past Trump's wall? :ph34r:

The Rock would have knocked it down by then :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The Rock would have knocked it down by then :ph34r:

That was a great popcorn movie...  But I don't get how the movie could knock down a wall. O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2017 at 3:56 PM, Teso dos Bichos said:

Smh mexican federation once again acting like money whores. The final should be in the azteca, end of story. The place where Pele and maradona both won a WC. 

Yeah but 3 world cups in one country seems a bit unfair. I mean we have only hosted one and we did invent the sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That was a great popcorn movie...  But I don't get how the movie could knock down a wall. O.o

The Rock is a wrestler now actor who said he was gonna run for presidency mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Brisbane to Wellington is about four hours flight. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Russia either, or Qatar, definitely above those nations. 

Clearly there was bribary on Qatar hosting it. I think we all know that despite what the inquest said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

The Rock is a wrestler now actor who said he was gonna run presidency mate.

xD  Does he own a gun? :ph34r:

I know who that is now...  I didn't get it at firs, am I bad! hahaha

Is he Mexican though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

xD  Does he own a gun? :ph34r:

I know who that is now...  I didn't get it at firs, am I bad! hahaha

Is he Mexican though?

I think he has Samoan heritage. I think it would be quite funny of a Mexican immigrant won the next election 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

xD  Does he own a gun? :ph34r:

I know who that is now...  I didn't get it at firs, am I bad! hahaha

Is he Mexican though?

Half Samoan half Canadian-African.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think he has Samoan heritage. I think it would be quite funny of a Mexican immigrant won the next election 

It would be even funnier if that "Mexican" was a Republican! xD

Just now, Spike said:

Half Samoan half Canadian-African.

So he's half Samoan and then something else happened where the percentages were blown into their own halves. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the expansion of the World Cup, it's going to be increasingly likely that hosts will be multiple countries. Especially with requirements that every stadium is of at least 40,000 spectators. That is unless they keep returning to the same countries again and again. Basically, through gritted teeth, FIFA will have to eventually give England another World Cup to host.

Even with the EUROs and the increases in the size of the competition and the stadium requirements, even Portugal (host in 2004) would be unable to bid for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement