talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

football forum

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

You do realize international football changes in time right? There are few tournaments for Japan and Mexico to prove themselves in, and the last major one, Japan was better and literally only 10 minutes away from a quarter final appearance against Brazil before the collapse. The Olympic win was 7 years ago. We’re Mexico better then? Probably. I am not talking about football history, im talking about now. Japan’s B team did well at the Asian Cup and their U23’s didn’t roll over at the Copa America. I’d have Japan over Mexico at this current moment.

I do. 

But I'm not sure why you talk about how Japan does in the AFC Tournament, but not the fact that Mexico won the Gold Cup, without much of a sweat...

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Grizzly21 you seem have some strange obsession with Mexico. Also how are USA and Mexico way ahead? USA didn't qualify for the last world cup. Mexico had to go through a play off for the one before. Costa Rica have been decent as well. Also Mexico beat Korea in the last world cup who are one of the top Asian sides.

Just now, Eco said:

I do. 

But I'm not sure why you talk about how Japan does in the AFC Tournament, but not the fact that Mexico won the Gold Cup, without much of a sweat...

Well for one, I think the Asian Cup is tougher than the Gold Cup. Quality is about the same, maybe Asia a bit lower, but the tournament is much longer.

Mexico used a B team in the last Gold Cup I think and that’s a good feat in itself, but again because the big barometer for me was the last World Cup, where I was more impressed with Japan.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Grizzly21 you seem have some strange obsession with Mexico. Also how are USA and Mexico way ahead? USA didn't qualify for the last world cup. Mexico had to go through a play off for the one before. Costa Rica have been decent as well. Also Mexico beat Korea in the last world cup who are one of the top Asian sides.

Not really I don’t. I actually rate Mexico, they are a decent side with good players but for me they are below Japan. You know I’m allowed an opinion right?

Well for one, I think the Asian Cup is tougher than the Gold Cup. Quality is about the same, maybe Asia a bit lower, but the tournament is much longer.

Mexico used a B team in the last Gold Cup I think and that’s a good feat in itself, but again because the big barometer for me was the last World Cup, where I was more impressed with Japan.

But you can't ignore their win. Mexico winning the Gold Cup with their B team is a much better accomplishment than Japan almost winning it using their B Team. 

Just now, Eco said:

But you can't ignore their win. Mexico winning the Gold Cup with their B team is a much better accomplishment than Japan almost winning it using their B Team. 

I’m not ignoring it. I told you, it’s a similar achievement but the World Cup is the decider for me.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Not really I don’t. I actually rate Mexico, they are a decent side with good players but for me they are below Japan. You know I’m allowed an opinion right?

Yeah but if you look at the world cup Mexico beat Germany. I know Germany were poor but I think Mexico were better and would have finished above them if the two met. Also i don't think it's accurate to say USA and Mexico are always way ahead 

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

I’m not ignoring it. I told you, it’s a similar achievement but the World Cup is the decider for me.

Okay. 

Mexico was in a much tougher group and had more points...and then both lost in the Round of 16. Your logic makes no sense to me, honestly. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but if you look at the world cup Mexico beat Germany. I know Germany were poor but I think Mexico were better and would have finished above them if the two met.

By that logic, I can say Korea also beat them and Japan are better than Korea. By some margin as well.

By that logic, I can say Korea also beat them and Japan are better than Korea. By some margin as well.

Not the same logic mate. Also look at the way Mexico compete in the Copa America. I don't think Japan would compete the way they do

Just now, Eco said:

Okay. 

Mexico was in a much tougher group and had more points...and then both lost in the Round of 16. Your logic makes no sense to me, honestly. 

Well I gave you facts and Japan gave it a better go in the round of 16. I was also more impressed with them overall. Football debate is a mixture of facts and judgement. I’m giving you both in context and it’s just what I think.

Just because Mexico beat an average Germany side, something everyone is doing now, doesn’t change my opinion that I think current Japan is above them.

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Not the same logic mate. Also look at the way Mexico compete in the Copa America. I don't think Japan would compete the way they do

They went out in the last 2 group stages with 1 point and 0. Japan got 2 in the last Copa! But even then that’s irrelevant because that was years ago. We are talking about now.

Well I gave you facts and Japan gave it a better go in the round of 16. I was also more impressed with them overall. Football debate is a mixture of facts and judgement. I’m giving you both in context and it’s just what I think.

Just because Mexico beat an average Germany side, something everyone is doing now, doesn’t change my opinion that I think current Japan is above them.

So I got back to my original post, in which you ARE basing it off of 1 game. xD

I'm not sure how you were impressed with them more overall, as they had a 1 bad game against Sweden, and if you are more impressed with a win against a Colombia, loss to Poland and draw against Senegal, then you are with a team that beats Germany and South Korea, and losing to Sweden, than I can't help you. 

They went out in the last 2 group stages with 1 point and 0. Japan got 2 in the last Copa! But even then that’s irrelevant because that was years ago. We are talking about now.

Fair enough. 

5 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Well I gave you facts and Japan gave it a better go in the round of 16.

And you only talk about facts that suit your narrative. You speak of AFC Championship, but leave out the Gold Cup. 

@Eco I literally admitted the Gold Cup still counts to the argument, I just think with the length of the Asian Cup it wasn’t a bad effort from a Japanese B team.

I like their play better and have done more to convince me. iirc the final group game for Japan was with a team full of subs. They put themselves together again and almost beat Belgium. I agree they shouldn’t have collapsed in the way they did but it’s better than rolling over against Brazil.

Colombia was bad at the last World Cup but they were better than Germany and Korea.

28 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

You simply cant have a debate with someone who failed at journalism school....is like getting trying to get gun handling classes from a liberal in San Francisco :dunce::dunce::dunce:

Tbf I know a LOT of liberal gun owners

• Subscriber

I'm the biggest supporter of Japan as the only Asian country that can put up a fight in an international tournament considering they are the only side in Asia with a grassroots system that mimics most of what Europe is doing. But, having said that they are still very far behind European and American sides in terms of competitiveness. Maybe the team that went to the last AFC finals and the previous team from the WC that almost went on to the quarters to play Brazil might have thrown up a fight against teams in the Americas and maybe the world but I still don't think they are there just yet. Just like I think a lot of great African/Mid-East sides can't get over the line of getting to a WC semi/final.

Its not just putting the best players of your country out its also knowing what to do when you get there. These players go through cycles where they'll have great talent coupled with experience that isn't cycled properly enough to let the more experienced players stick around till they run to the next tournament. Japanese Women's football did this in the years they were extremely successful and yet the men can't seem to replicate this formula. Sure, they have some great players doing superb things in Europe but once they start spreading their presence beyond Germany and some other smaller countries in Europe they are always going to be at a disadvantage of not pushing themselves against the best. 

I'd love to see this current Japanese side play Mexico because it would be entertaining to watch. But I'd side with Mexico winning just because I know Japan has no game management in their DNA and are only working towards attack-systems right now.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived