talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi

Roberto Rivelino was a real classy player from all the footage I've seen of him over the years. @SirBalon

@bozziovai The other day when Andre Gomes made a mistake, the cameras showed Valverde's reaction and from what I could make of it by lip reading he said "tu puta madre". So he's not always calm, even he can lose his head a bit :ph34r:

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Roberto Rivelino was a real classy player from all the footage I've seen of him over the years. @SirBalon

@bozziovai The other day when Andre Gomes made a mistake, the cameras showed Valverde's reaction and from what I could make of it by lip reading he said "tu puta madre". So he's not always calm, even he can lose his head a bit :ph34r:

well, that's normal in a game.   coaches has their balls on their throats the entire game haha.  it will only go back in between the legs when the score is big enough that the opponents can't make a comeback, but when it's as close as that game, well, they're chewing on their balls.

even the motor-mouth Pique has been silent this season... valverde's calmness has been infused in the team.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

you wouldn't be a proper football manager if you didn't lose your shit every now and then no matter how calm you may be perceived!

Just now, Stan said:

i'm sure in his long managerial career he must have gone crazy once!

it's 100% sure, his crazy days were during his time at Madrid.  Dealing with Perez.   Maybe that's why his hair looks like this ..... the mid-part is still there but the sides are gone, he might be pulling his hairs ( in secret ) in anger towards Perez and his controlling schemes  ......

Image result for del bosque

Pele's 1000 goals is a myth. He counted goals he scored in his local street footy games.

I can also score 1000 goals if that's the case. Maradona is still the best player of all time to me. There wasn't a single thing he couldn't do with the ball.

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

Pele's 1000 goals is a myth. He counted goals he scored in his local street footy games.

I can also score 1000 goals if that's the case. Maradona is still the best player of all time to me. There wasn't a single thing he couldn't do with the ball.

of course he can do everything with the ball .... even making it into a BASKETBALL and dunking the ball into the net ...........

Image result for hand of god maradona

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Lionel Messi seems to reach a milestone or set a record every time he plays. Against Chelsea on Wednesday, there were two.

First, he registered his fastest goal in the Champions League by netting after two minutes eight seconds from a narrow angle, and later he reached 100 goals in the competition with a blistering low strike which went - as did his first - straight through the legs of Blues keeper Thibaut Courtois.

He is only the second player to reach a century of goals in Europe's premier club competition, joining his great rival at Real Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo, in the 100 club.

Ronaldo's tally stands at 117 in 148 games. Messi's 100 has come up in 123.

The next man on the list - former Real Madrid forward Raul - has 71 goals. Of those still playing on the list of most Champions League goals, Karim Benzema is closest to Messi and Ronaldo with 53.

Champions League top goalscorers
Players Games Goals
Cristiano Ronaldo 148 117
Lionel Messi 123 100
Raul 142 71
Ruud van Nistlerooy 73 56
Karim Benzema 100 53
Thierry Henry 112 50
Zlatan Ibrahimovic 120 48
Andriy Shevchenko 100 48
Filippo Inzaghi 81 46
Robert Lewandowski 68 45

_100425635_getimage-2.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43410486

Definitely!  Some mega rich individual needs to buy Stoke so that we can finally put the only question Messi and Barça have to rest and finally find out if they're as good as what people have been singing and dancing about.

Oh!  And the game can only be played on a cold rainy night because otherwise it doesn't count.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 02:05, Teso dos Bichos said:

*Early retirement

*Failed to deliver on three FINALS

*LACK of leadership (This is according to the GOAT Maradona, labeled as the best of all time by you and I) and pitches a fit and doesnt invite Diego to his wedding

*Disrespects a fellow argie compatriot by belittling him.

are we going to blame all of that on the argie media Antonio?  Please. 

To be fair even people who worship Maradona accept that his off the field character is hard to digest.

crush time again for messi.   they're in a very easy group and also a potential easy match against either Denmark or Peru in the round of 16.

if i were sampaoli, i would alter the system to not rely on Messi, coz for sure all the coaches who would face Argentina would focus on stopping Messi, if the play should fall on a different player/players, let's say, Di Maria and Aguero partnership, then it would catch the opposing team off guard.

Why is there always talk of how Messi must win a world cup all on his own for an average as fuck Argentina team, but there is never any discussion about how C.Ronaldo must carry Portugal to a world cup?

Messi is criticised for taking Argentina to 3 finals, which they wouldn't have reached without his input, but Ronaldo is criticism free for not being able to even get Portugal out of the groups in the last world cup? Why is this? I don't understand?

This is why I believe that Ronaldo's level of greatness is forced as he gets away with playing how he wants(he can miss Euro finals and get all the credit and do fuck all in semis and finals of the champs league, then gain all the credit), while other greats(Messi in this case) are expected to never have a bad game or they are hounded.

That was directed more at Erick rather than bozziovai.

22 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Why is there always talk of how Messi must win a world cup all on his own for an average as fuck Argentina team, but there is never any discussion about how C.Ronaldo must carry Portugal to a world cup?

Messi is criticised for taking Argentina to 3 finals, which they wouldn't have reached without his input, but Ronaldo is criticism free for not being able to even get Portugal out of the groups in the last world cup? Why is this? I don't understand?

This is why I believe that Ronaldo's level of greatness is forced as he gets away with playing how he wants(he can miss Euro finals and get all the credit and do fuck all in semis and finals of the champs league, then gain all the credit), while other greats(Messi in this case) are expected to never have a bad game or they are hounded.

It’s the way the cookie crumbles mate.

Do you remember the boom when Messi was done for tax fraud?  If I remember rightly, that thread in the old forum got to over 1,000 posts in just over a week (I was astounded).

Cristiano Ronaldo has has been going through the courts for over a year now... Nothing on here and it’s not something that gets thrown about in the media all that much (I’m talking about Spain), and here? The thread died very soon afterwards.

@True Blue himself likes to bring it (the Messi tax scandal) up whenever there’s a reference to to be made on Messi and he’s not the only one. Not that there’s anything in particular wrong with that, just that it’s not dished out at all the other way and what you’ve just written is more of the same. Also like to add that the amount Cristiano Ronaldo is being done for is three times as much.

You see... The way I look at it is like this...

Everyone KNOWS Messi is probably the greatest footballer of all time... Those that love to hit at him KNOW this. So it’s hit where you can in any which way possible without shwing any form of parity of justice in terms of sentiments, comments and opinions.

They know Cristiano is the only thing close enough in today’s football to use as a poor weapon to try and pinch as much limelight and deserved adulation from a gift such as Messi we have all been so ungratefully given.

It’s a common occurrence where those that aren’t sure about something make a lot of bloody noise! xD

There are two types that try hard or don’t ever give the credit (keep hush and make whispering comments that tend to be used to discredit Barça) deserved to Messi. The two types are... Those that hate Barça and those that have a alterior motive due to some sort of opposing sentiment of which there are various. 

22 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Tbf, the criticism is by those who still have bias ties towards Ronaldo and/or personal vendetta against Messi. They know that on footballing terms, they literally have no argument, so genuinely speaking this 'he needs to win an international tournament to be great' really is the only thing they can fall back on given Ronaldo faced the mighty Wales and Poland on route to the final, then only to sit out and enjoy the luxury of a team doing the work for him in a way Messi won't ever have due to the fact they lost every game without him in qualifiers. 

It really is an amusing argument. 

The Argentina side Messi came into was fantastic and should have done more, although they have always been a bit lopsided. I think the expectation derives from the plethora of attacking gems they have, it just hasn't transpired for them and will probably be too late now. Messi had had a strange time, he rarely reaches his maximum level with Argentina but I dont see his international career as a failure, it's just a shame it's always been chaotic.

Ronaldo's best tournament was arguably 2006, robbed of the young player award.

On 6/5/2018 at 00:08, The Rebel CRS said:

in all honesty, when i saw the Final Group result of Portugal, i conceded on them going home but i was shocked to why they still progressed.   i'm ignorant with how the Euros goes into how a team can advance to the Last 16 and i didn't cared to find out why.     An extra time against Crotia, Penalties against the Polish and that Semis against Wales, i mean, Wales isn't a heavy weight in the Euro Scene.    As for the Finals, well, for me, it wasn't that Portugal won, but it was France who squandered the chance of winning the game.

back to messi, i guess it's normal that people would expect him to be at the same level as playing for Barca when he's with his argentinian mates, but sometimes people forget that with his club, it's on a weekly basis but with his national team, they'll only get busy together during qualifying rounds.   my whole viewpoint on a national squad isn't about individual talent, coz, c'mon, they're the best of the best of their respective positions, but it's about chemistry within the players.    

Being Argentine doesn't help either as every talented player they have is expected to replicate what Diego Maradona did in 1986 and this isn't healthy as it means that Messi can't enjoy his football in the way he does at Barcelona. The extra added pressure of having to carry a nation doesn't help matters. Maradona wouldn't have done what he did in 86 if he had the pressure that Messi does today, I can tell you that. Players need to be allowed to enjoy their football and play their natural game. I've genuinely never seen so much pressure on a single player to deliver a World Cup, which you can't do on your own and this will always be the main downfall of Argentina winning anything. Then again, I'm not of the opinion that Messi has even played badly for Argentina either way, as he has been key in getting Argentina to all the finals they have reached and the qualifiers they have gotten out of.

As for where I said Ronaldo's level of greatness is forced up there, that isn't to say I don't regard him as one of the greatest to have played the sport in his own right as he's a machine who has been at the top of his game for a decade, but I believe he gets away with criticism a lot more than Messi does.

Archived